01-04-2013, 05:02 AM   #1
N4BSE
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Standard Exhaust Info on 1M

Hi guys,

My mate has just ordered a new E92 M3, and he has read online about :

Backbox cut open wadding removed and perforated pipes wrapped with exhaust sealant and tape. Dead quiet inside and lovely outside, how standard should have been. #exhaust #m3 #e92 #v8 #car # power #performance #sound #modified

LINK ON YOU TUBE SHOWING RESULTS:

Can this be done to the Standard 1M exhaust? Does anyone know if it even has Perforated Pipes to silence it?

I had an accident in my previous M3 and the insurance wouldnt pay out because I had changed the back box to an EISENMAN system, just wondered what could be done with the standard box if any?

cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #2
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

I guess that means that you hadn't informed the insurance company about the modification - insurance will pay out so long as all your mods are declared, so no need to stick to the standard exhaust (and technically you're talking about modifying it in any case ;-) ) if you don't want to just because of insurance...
      01-04-2013, 06:22 AM   #3
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

My buddy did this mod to his OEM M3 exhaust, except he had them cut out the perforated pipes and weld in solid pipe. The car sounded like a beast. It was also loud as f_ck! Although the sound was amazing outside the car,
the drone inside was so bad under 3,000 RPMs it would literally make your ear drums itch. I'm not sure you would get the same sound, volume, or level of drone from the N54.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
N4BSE
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

cheers guys, yeah i just found some of the insurance companies got confused to what I had done, and either refrained from covering/quoting me or put a silly increase. So without causing upset to some members, what's the best option for a back box? I want something quite loud, but not silly inside as I do a fair few motorway miles. I had Eisenman before and thought it was good?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4BSE View Post
cheers guys, yeah i just found some of the insurance companies got confused to what I had done, and either refrained from covering/quoting me or put a silly increase. So without causing upset to some members, what's the best option for a back box? I want something quite loud, but not silly inside as I do a fair few motorway miles. I had Eisenman before and thought it was good?
Akrapovic and GT Haus Meisterschaft are loud for sure. I personally love the sound of Lightweight Titanauspuffanlagen a lot. I myself have Evolve Race which is made by Supersprint and it is also loud without being Meisterschaft loud. Another good and loud sound I recall is Borla especially mated with a good mid pipe. There are tons of good info, owners reviews and sound clips of all these and others that you may like to check in this section.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 01-05-2013 at 06:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 01:51 AM   #6
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

If I ever change my exhaust, it'll be the Lightweight Titanauspuffanlagen I'll be going for. It has a really nice sound with lots of burbles and pops without being boomy.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 02:01 AM   #7
h-manuk
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M Coupe

I have the Eisenmann Race mated to the N55 and it sounds great. It has a nice metallic crescending sound as the engine climbs the rev range. In addition the fitment and quality is very good with a nice slash cut tailpipe design.
Current mods: Forge FMIC, N55 Midpipe, Alcantara Steering Wheel, OEM 2012 LCI Black lines, BMW Performance grilles and pedals, Ohlins R&T suspension, Supersprint Exhaust, BMS Charge Pipe, Forge Diverter Valves
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 06:09 AM   #8
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4BSE View Post
Check the exhaust stickies:Except if mistaken, of all available exhausts for the 1M, so far only the Akrapovič has the possibility to either bypass or canalize, at the touch of a button, a part of the exhaust flow through the rear muffler. By opening the butterfly valve with a wireless kit (pressing a button), a part of the exhaust flow bypasses the rear muffler and is guided directly through the outer tailpipes. The rest goes through the rear muffler and is guided through the inner tailpipes. By closing the valve, all the exhaust flow goes through the rear muffler and is guided through the inner tailpipes only (see the picture below).

So, if you spot a 1M with an Akra exhaust and there is smoke coming out of the outer tailpipes, the valve is open (or the blocking plate was removed if the car is not equipped with the optional Akra wireless kit) + you will notice a louder rumble.

A kind of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde system. Useful if you got to tone down in sound sensitive areas or when you're not in the mood for a more sporty sound.

Name:  Akra_Exhaust.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  81.9 KB

01-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
-Z-
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black Pyrat

HMS exhaust has the flapper that opens similar to that of Akrapovich

I am really itching to get it for myself... If only the shipping was more reasonable
Appreciate 0