BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-06-2009, 12:38 AM   #1
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

RFT's not soo bad

Now that I finally got my 135i, I've had much more drive time to assess the RFT's. I only got a handful of test drives, and there's a lot to consider on those test drives, so you don't get much time to concentrate on any one area. I was hesitant on the overall comfort and capability from the test drives, and more so from the forum comments.

But, I've been pleasantly surprised about the RFT's. I find the handling to be extremely good in both dry and rain. My biggest concern was comfort, but overall they are quite nice and quiet too. Granted, it's only been a couple hundred miles, but I'm impressed nontheless.

Still, I have nothing else to compare them to as I've not driven a non RFT 135i, I've only read the comments here, which are very positive against the RFT's. So, I'm looking forward to swapping them out. If what most are saying is true, then the already good ride I get now from the RFTs, will be even sweeter with non RFT's.

In my case I have to switch anyway as I can't run summer only around here. My plan has been to do what I've always done, and that's to switch the summer performance tires to all season performance tires.
I'll give the RFT's another month or two so I can get a better assessment of them, so that I can make a better comparison when I get the non RFT all seasons. I'm sure there are and will be forum members who will want to know this info, just like I do/did.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 12:43 AM   #2
NJ135
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
also a huge plus when you hit a nail in the middle of nowhere!
      07-06-2009, 09:27 AM   #3
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Now that I finally got my 135i, I've had much more drive time to assess the RFT's. I only got a handful of test drives, and there's a lot to consider on those test drives, so you don't get much time to concentrate on any one area. I was hesitant on the overall comfort and capability from the test drives, and more so from the forum comments.

But, I've been pleasantly surprised about the RFT's. I find the handling to be extremely good in both dry and rain. My biggest concern was comfort, but overall they are quite nice and quiet too. Granted, it's only been a couple hundred miles, but I'm impressed nontheless.

Still, I have nothing else to compare them to as I've not driven a non RFT 135i, I've only read the comments here, which are very positive against the RFT's. So, I'm looking forward to swapping them out. If what most are saying is true, then the already good ride I get now from the RFTs, will be even sweeter with non RFT's.

In my case I have to switch anyway as I can't run summer only around here. My plan has been to do what I've always done, and that's to switch the summer performance tires to all season performance tires.
I'll give the RFT's another month or two so I can get a better assessment of them, so that I can make a better comparison when I get the non RFT all seasons. I'm sure there are and will be forum members who will want to know this info, just like I do/did.
The tread and rubber compound are pretty good in wet and dry. The ride, however, is a lot better without RFT's. You will notice this when you switch to your winter tires and you get some more irritating miles on your RFT's. It is far less jarring and compliant without being soft with non-RFT's.
Appreciate 0