BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-12-2018, 08:42 PM   #1
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
[Off Topic] Visiting San Franisco advice welcome

Hey there fellow 1Addicts, sorry for the off topic post but I figured my fellow 1ers could help me out (and there's some car related advice requests so there's that). I just learned I'll be on a business trip to San Francisco the last week of February and I was hoping to get some advice. I have to put together my schedule so not a lot of time to really figure things out. This is my first time in California and visiting has always been a bucket list item for me.

I'm thinking of spending 5 - 6.5 days in the state not including business. Flying in to San Fran. Planning to do 2 days in San Francisco then take a 2 day drive down Pacific Coast Highway (come on car guys, I know its cliched but I gotta do it) stopping somewhere along the way then heading to LA and spend 1-2 days there before flying out at LAX.

Couple of questions I'm hoping you can help me out with:

1) What do you think of the schedule I've laid out for myself? If you had 6 days to spend in the state starting in San Fran how would you do it? Interested in food, music and famous sites.

2) Where are the best places to stop on PCH and where should I bunk down for the night if splitting it in two days?

3) Most important question: how do I get my hands on a fantastic car to make that drive? I'm on a tight budget. The dream has always been to rent a convertible and I have a line on a Camaro vert from Hertz for $428 USD for the majority of the trip. The weather in San Fran a few days ago was 80 degrees F but looks like its now going down to 60 F or below. Not exactly great vert weather would you guys agree? Maybe I should get a sportier hard top. Bottom line, how do I get into an affordable sporty car (vert or not)? I'd have to pick it up in San Fran and be able to drop it off on LA. Not sure Turo is an option and I need a reliable option.

Any other suggestions you have would be super welcome guys. Totally wish I had my Z4 M Roadie or 128i with me but that's how it goes...don't have the $$ or clout to have them flown in with me
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 09:02 AM   #2
blinded
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Bad timing for you as part of the route is closed due to storm damage last year:

https://www.tripsavvy.com/highway-one-closure-1477688

Here's a good primer:

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/amp/Ro...-1-4824599.php

I like stopping in Morro Bay since that cuts the trip roughly in half. Have fun!

PS: Do your best to not call it San Fran.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 04:26 PM   #3
1mang
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

www.turo.com

Airbnb for cars. You can "rent" a fun car like Miata to drive top down on the coast.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 04:44 PM   #4
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

SF has a constant breeze, if it's already cool you'll feel even colder, if it's warm and sunny you won't realize how sunburned you're becoming. Muir woods is fairly close, pretty cool, and a short but pretty drive along the shore. Alcatraz is a good tour, I've heard, I couldn't go because you have to get tickets like a month in advance.

That's about all I know, my trips have been pretty short, hope it helps a bit.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2018, 07:45 PM   #5
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinded View Post
Bad timing for you as part of the route is closed due to storm damage last year:

https://www.tripsavvy.com/highway-one-closure-1477688

Here's a good primer:

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/amp/Ro...-1-4824599.php

I like stopping in Morro Bay since that cuts the trip roughly in half. Have fun!

PS: Do your best to not call it San Fran.

Thanks for the tips. Route 1 is indeed closed for a bit just north of Ragged Point. The nearest I can figure is there is only one way to detour it near the closure and that is via Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd. A quick read online has various opinions on how driveable this route is. Have read everything from treacherous/precipitous drops to white knuckle driving, etc. I even saw some photos where there was snow on the road sometime in April so I'm not sure what to make of it but I think I might give it a try.

Would you suggest overnighting in Morro Bay? I do want to cut the trip in half as I don't wish to drive at night. It looks convenient as that is the point where you can rejoin Route 1 after Nacimiento and via 101 -> 41 if I'm reading Google maps correctly. From there I'd grab Route 1 and head into LA.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 07:48 PM   #6
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mang View Post
www.turo.com

Airbnb for cars. You can "rent" a fun car like Miata to drive top down on the coast.
Thanks. Unfortunately I've decided to drive down to LA and fly out from there. For better or worse it means no Turo because it doesn't allow for one way trips as far as I can tell. It is really too bad because I found a little Mini Cooper S manual!! For a pretty reasonable daily price.

In the end I found a Mustang (or similar) convertible for $420 USD for four days via Autoslash/Priceline, rental agency is Sixt. It'll carry my big luggage so good enough. The weather doesn't look spectacular from here so I can always cancel the reservation closer to the trip if weather doesn't look in favour of it and find a more cost effective rental. Days like this I miss my Z4 M Roadie even more.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 08:53 PM   #7
vegamanx
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i E88

Exclamation Booking Parking @ Muir Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
SF has a constant breeze, if it's already cool you'll feel even colder, if it's warm and sunny you won't realize how sunburned you're becoming. Muir woods is fairly close, pretty cool, and a short but pretty drive along the shore. Alcatraz is a good tour, I've heard, I couldn't go because you have to get tickets like a month in advance.

That's about all I know, my trips have been pretty short, hope it helps a bit.
Sorry to bring up a slightly old thread, but wanted to save everyone some time and not go through the +1/2 hour headache I went through in January.

Parking isn't free at Muir Woods anymore. You need to book a time of arrival. I think it's because the parking lots can get full even on non-weekend visits.

Here's what you get to do if you don't book ahead (the parking attendant will tell you this):
Since there's no cell signal (so obviously no data, unless you have a satellite phone) you can't book a parking spot until you drive down to Muir Beach, walk out onto the sand and get cell signal on your smartphone. (Yes, I tried from the beach's parking lot and the signal was still too spotty.) On the beach, you can book the time online, get the email, take a screen capture of the bar code, drive back up and then have the parking attendant scan the barcode off your phone.
Now you're in!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 08:19 AM   #8
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegamanx View Post
You need to book a time of arrival.
Ugh! Sad to hear. Thanks for the update!
Appreciate 0