BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #23
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

So much animosity over tire fitment what’s the deal with that….OP’s setup is a touch too aggressive for my tastes, but that’s all it is, personal preference. Funny thing is it isn’t even that much of a stretch for a showcar type fitment, people go wayyy more aggressive than that. Your car looks clean bud don’t mind the haters.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 08:45 AM   #24
RiefferD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen View Post
Is that a serious statement? Not to mention he said "cars", referring to all vehicles not any specific one.
Then you both are idiots, not every car is made for handleing....Dude everytime u post, u come on flaming other peoples car. He has the same unorginal vmr's that you have on your aw 1'er. And because he has coilovers, he can give himself the same 'suv' ride that you seem to love.... If you don't like his ride move on.
      01-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #25
RiefferD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRNTHVY View Post
Really? On Laguna Seca, Randy Pobst posted a lap time of 106.0 secs with the 135i and 106.5 secs with the track ready 370z NISMO.

Yes I am taking this information from another thread but it shows you that the car is very capable although it is dependent on the driver.

Also, as mentioned I said cars. It is pretty silly to see nice handling cars like, S2000's, STi's, EVO's, M3's, etc., sitting on stretched tires barely driveable. Just my opinion and that does not make it right!lol!

I also agree that VMR wheels are not the end all be all!!

The heavy engine up front, on such a small plat form creates a ton of understeer. A stock 135i is far from a track car. Anyways he drives his car to work waaay more than he's putting it on a track so who cares? We are in Florida, the roads are long, straight, and flat a little stretch is ok..... I just hate when people flame other people for pushing the boundaries of modding our car.
      01-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #26
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

that's one pretty serious roll bar
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #27
anttmann
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' CQM M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiefferD View Post
Then you both are idiots, not every car is made for handleing....Dude everytime u post, u come on flaming other peoples car. He has the same unorginal vmr's that you have on your aw 1'er. And because he has coilovers, he can give himself the same 'suv' ride that you seem to love.... If you don't like his ride move on.
i couldn't put into better words myself , thanks for the support man means alot
6MT

Antoine Spignardo
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #28
anttmann
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

heres a couple snaps i was able to grab this morning before work

6MT

Antoine Spignardo
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #29
MGallop
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 12' 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
go lower w/ more stretch, pussy. haha love it. One of my forum favs!

Matthew Gallop: '12 N55 Mods: JB4 Flex ISO | iCarbon DP | VRSF 5" FMIC | BMS Intake | ER Charge Pipe | Race Axleback | ST Coils | Alufelgen CS7's | iCarbon 3 fin Diffuser |
Blackline LCI | CarbonFiber Spoiler | Orion v4 AE's | 30% tint | red+blk roundels | Cyba Scoops | H-Style front Lip | WeissLicht LED Smoked Sidemarkers | Matte Grills | Coded |
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #30
comar1979
130i Treiber
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by anttmann View Post
this was my track setup , but now they are mounted on Ventus Z214
Yepp... I both of your Setups
# BMW 130i /// + SPARCO Assetto Gara 8x18 bronze + KW + PP SteeringWheel II +PP Exhaust +PP Kidneys + PP AirFilter + PP Style Flaps + PP SS Kit + AC-Schnitzer Gear Knob + MorVision Diffusor + LCI Blacklines high + GroundZero-Audio #
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #31
addict
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 335i

looks great man!!! The roll cage really set it off!
What i have pleanned for my car is really gonna get the purists panties in a bunch lol
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #32
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
Luckily I like in america and I am allowed to have my own opinion. Any BMW is meant to be a handling car, yes its not an S2000 or corvette or what have you moreso meant for track duty, but its still supposed to handle.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #33
anttmann
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Luckily I like in america and I am allowed to have my own opinion. Any BMW is meant to be a handling car, yes its not an S2000 or corvette or what have you moreso meant for track duty, but its still supposed to handle.
6MT

Antoine Spignardo
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #34
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep
Drives: bsm 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen
Quote:
All you do is post something negative bro. Try pulling that 12" dildo out of your ass it might give you a more positive outlook on life.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #35
Stohlen
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wescuddles View Post
All you do is post something negative bro. Try pulling that 12" dildo out of your ass it might give you a more positive outlook on life.
I like to give my opinion, regardless of which way it goes, because no-one ever voices when they don't like something and why on forums. That leads to things like stretched tires being "cool" and people using them without realizing that they are actually making things worse. If you like it that's fine, I'm still probably gonna say something because then at least maybe someone who doesn't know will learn the pros and cons.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #36
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I like to give my opinion, regardless of which way it goes, because no-one ever voices when they don't like something and why on forums. That leads to things like stretched tires being "cool" and people using them without realizing that they are actually making things worse. If you like it that's fine, I'm still probably gonna say something because then at least maybe someone who doesn't know will learn the pros and cons.
Please, enlighten us on how stretched tires are a con for everyday use.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #37
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Nice car! I like the roll bar set up, you should post more pics of function mode

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #38
anttmann
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

this should be good
6MT

Antoine Spignardo
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #39
Stohlen
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
You are eliminating the tire's sidewall from the equation when you stretch the tires across the rim. A tire's sidewall is designed to be able to fold over in a sense to either side when cornering. An example of what I am referring to is seen in this video at 4:43.

The ability for the sidewall to flex in this manner allows the tire to hold traction through a corner during weight transfer. You want the sidewall to be stiff to hold the tires shape, and still able to flex the tread in this manner to keep proper contact with the road. When the tire is stretched the sidewall is forced into the position it would be when the weight has already been transfer during the turn, and in some extreme cases even beyond. So when the weight is transferred to that tire during a turn the tire loses traction much more quickly and the car is more likely to skid. This is especially important any time you are trying to avoid an accident using defensive driving; i.e. when you suddenly must avoid something. With less traction you're much more likely to be unable to avoid the object or skid into it instead of driving around it.

In addition to the loss of traction and increased understeer with a stretched setup, tire wear is increased on the edges of the tread, much like the tire wear you get when a tire is under-inflated for long periods of time. The tire is essentially wrinkled as it runs across the rim because of the stretching, even though you cant visibly see it. There is less pressure in the center of the tire than on the outsides when the vehicle is running in a straight line so the weight of the car is supported more-so on the outsides of the tires than equally across it. This causes reduced breaking distance, while minor, when compared to a properly sized tire.

Stretch tires also cannot absorb as much road shock from hitting potholes or bumps that a properly sized tire would, creating a harsher ride when driving and increased road noise feedback to the drive. Not to mention that it is much easier to damage a rim with stretched tires if you hit a hole than with a proper setup. The tire also does nothing to protect the lip of the wheel when parking next to a curb, while a properly sized tire extends slightly beyond the lip and could save some damage if you happen to scrape one.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #40
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep

So other than driver error there's no con to having a small stretch - excellent, thanks for clarifying.

I'd argue having stretched stock size tires on wider wheels would actually be safer then running a stock set up with RFT's, seeing as I run a slightly stretched PSS on stock 261s for winter and noticed a significant increase in response and control.

But what do I know I don't like having dildos stuck in my ass so it's hard to understand your point.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #41
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
I have seen the BR Photos, but i would like to see more photos of peoples actual installations. The Matte Grey 1m has had the best photos so far of the install but I am curious to see more.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 05:37 PM   #42
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
and OP, your car looks amazing with the other wheels on. Im not a fan of stretch but won't hate on those that do.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #43
Stohlen
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
So other than driver error there's no con to having a small stretch - excellent, thanks for clarifying.

But what do I know I don't like having dildos stuck in my ass so it's hard to understand your point.
Sounds like since you have no scientific explanation to defend your side, you must fight back with immature insults a high schooler would use
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #44
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Sounds like since you have no scientific explanation to defend your side, you must fight back with immature insults a high schooler would use
Tires, if aired to the correct psi, will be just as safe stretched or not in average driving conditions. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to unseat the bead on a properly stretched tire at correct air pressure? Try it.

Avoid potholes and curbs and it's not an issue - the only issue would be using a backyard tire shop.

You seem like one of those people that like to talk just to hear their own voice.
Appreciate 0