BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-16-2012, 03:43 AM   #1
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

My take on COBB

So I received my COBB AP on Friday and was very anxious to go home and install it on my car! I got home and quickly uninstall my Procede, once that is done I tried to install COBB and lo and behold I got the famous "ROM not recognised" . I had a feeling this would be the case as Australian Cars are not officially supported so they probably don't have many of our ECU ROM in their system yet. SO I went through the steps to download my ECU ROM and email COBB a copy, fingers crossed that I will get it on Saturday (their friday).

I woke up the next day and what do you know an email from cobb telling me to update my AP as they have updated their system with my ECU ROM! straight away I went to install it on my car which took about 20 minutes all together. What a refreshing change it is to install a tune VIA the OBDII port instead of going to your ECU compartment. The map that I chose is the Stage 2+ FMIC Aggresive with stock throttle mapping. COBB has a few map/stage (Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 2+ FMIC) and you can choose what power level (Sport, Drive or Aggressive) and throttle setting (Sport or Linear).

Anyway here is a little comparison between the COBB and Procede, all personal opinion so take it as you will.

I have only had it for 2 days but this is my finding so far.

1) Ease of installation - can't be beaten by the piggies I suppose.

2) Ability to change between stock throttle and linear throttle mapping. This is pretty useful for someone that likes to go to the track and really want that precision control. For a daily driver I prefer the stock throttle as it feels faster!

3) Power delivery - overall the power delivery of the procede is pretty smooth but only after going to COBB that I realise is actually not that smooth. COBB definitely increase the smoothness another level. I also realise that the procede can be pretty twitchy in comparison to COBB, when I say twitchy I meant on how on/off the power comes. This is base on the new aggressive maps of the procede and not the older maps.

4) Sit in your pants feeling - I don't know why but COBB seems to pull like a freight train it is quite crazy and scary feels like I am losing control! I know both tune boost high at mid range and tapers off but for some reason the butt dyno says that COBB is a lot more powerful.

5) Gear changes - COBB seems to change gear a lot smoother and less violent. When I had the procede it feels like the gear changes was quite violent when ever I go WOT (I didn't realise this at the time as I didn't know any better). I also feel a bit of delay with the procede in between the shift where as with COBB it kinda just shift and power kicks in straight away.

6) extra functionality such as 0-100 (I tried it once and got 4.8s with a retarded launch as I accidently double shift into third from first so I would say I can get 4.5s easy?) and quarter mile is very very cool but obviously you lose other functionality of the piggies like switching map on the fly and dash gauge hi jack.

7) more data logging parameter such as logging timing on all 6 cylinders

On a side note I have actually taken off my DCI and put back the stock airbox on. Planning to modify my stock airbox like Mr 5 or Helix intake not sure yet.

I think 2012 is going to be a good year for the N54 so many new developments coming out!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 03:48 AM   #2
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Sounds awesome Rai. Glad to hear the COBB was worth it
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 04:01 AM   #3
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
When you say you feel it's more powerful, is this at certain revs? Is it low, mid or high?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 04:06 AM   #4
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Thanks Ray... Sounds good so far..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 04:13 AM   #5
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
When you say you feel it's more powerful, is this at certain revs? Is it low, mid or high?
I should have clarified, it definitely feels a lot more powerful from mid (Starts from about 3.5k) all the way to redline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Sounds awesome Rai. Glad to hear the COBB was worth it
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf View Post
Thanks for the write up... positive stuff!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Thanks Ray... Sounds good so far..
Yep I am a convert so far! Is actually feels quite scary going WOT now especially with traction control fully off!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 04:26 AM   #6
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
3) Power delivery - overall the power delivery of the procede is pretty smooth but only after going to COBB that I realise is actually not that smooth. COBB definitely increase the smoothness another level. I also realise that the procede can be pretty twitchy in comparison to COBB, when I say twitchy I meant on how on/off the power comes. This is base on the new aggressive maps of the procede and not the older maps
Thats about how I feel with the stock tune on the 1M compared to my JB tune on my old but not forgotten 135i.

So the COBB sounds very promising at this stage.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 04:33 AM   #7
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Is there a possibility you can get back to back dyno sheets with PROcede and COBB to take the guesswork out?

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 06:02 AM   #8
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Thats about how I feel with the stock tune on the 1M compared to my JB tune on my old but not forgotten 135i.

So the COBB sounds very promising at this stage.
You should definitely do more research on COBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
Is there a possibility you can get back to back dyno sheets with PROcede and COBB to take the guesswork out?
I will see what I can do - I was planning on putting my car on the dyno sometime soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 06:48 AM   #9
Honny
Captain
Rep
Drives: Something

Good review mate. Im glad to hear that COBB makes quality products and a step ahead of PROcede. Im also keen to see some dyno figures as Kenny mentioned. I'm pretty convinced you can easily hit under the 4.5 mark.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #10
gnpower
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M Sport 135i

what other mods have been done to your car?
      01-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Nice writeup RaihaX.

Flash tunes are the way to go. Many people just do not realize it until they switch from piggy to a flash tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #12
Steelo
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2011 X5 3.0d

RaihaX - Regarding BMW warranty and workshops detecting the mod - What is the approach to unflash / reflash with COBB? Tried it yet?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #13
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Thanks for sharing your feedback and for writing up the review. The COBB AccessPORT is definitely one of the best tunes out for the N54 and I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying it!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #14
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Thanks for the write up mate. Map versions would be good in comparisons too, as there's a number out there for all the tunes that behave differently. The ease of install will win a lot of Down Under 1'er drivers over I reckon, especially if they don't want to custom tune their cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 05:31 PM   #15
B-Moose
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Good review. Agree with all of that, and I'll add some of my thoughts, although I didn't have the benefit of a direct comparison with the piggybacks beforehand.

I'm using the COBB on an otherwise stock car (AT), so stage 1 maps. In the 3 months or so that I've had it, still haven't fully tried out all the different combinations of maps/throttle settings. But I've found that stage 1 sport + stock throttle is excellent for normal driving (apparently similar power/tune to the 1M/335is), and when using the manual paddle shifters aggressive + linear throttle gave extra control so that might be optimal for 6MT cars.

The ease of use with install/uninstalling is undeniable, and the logging and code clearing capabilities handy. On top of that, it's significantly cheaper than both Procede and ESS. It was actually a no brainer decision for me. The 'lack of official support' for Australia reason didn't wash with me- it's basically a software solution not hardware, and COBB seem to have excellent software support for any issues over the internet.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #16
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnpower View Post
what other mods have been done to your car?
FBO - minus intake took off the DCI for the mean time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Nice writeup RaihaX.

Flash tunes are the way to go. Many people just do not realize it until they switch from piggy to a flash tune.
Yeah definitely an eye opener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel135i View Post
RaihaX - Regarding BMW warranty and workshops detecting the mod - What is the approach to unflash / reflash with COBB? Tried it yet?
Well all you need to do is uninstall it which will reinstall the existing ECU software which you have back up to the COBB AP. In regards to workshops detecting the mod - I would hazard a guess if they really want to find out they probably can?

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s.com View Post
Thanks for sharing your feedback and for writing up the review. The COBB AccessPORT is definitely one of the best tunes out for the N54 and I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
Thanks for the write up mate. Map versions would be good in comparisons too, as there's a number out there for all the tunes that behave differently. The ease of install will win a lot of Down Under 1'er drivers over I reckon, especially if they don't want to custom tune their cars.
Yeah I will give the other maps a try - I just haven't had time yet. I think so too a lot of people is probably quite put off with the thought of taking apart your ECU to install the piggies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiMou View Post
Good review. Agree with all of that, and I'll add some of my thoughts, although I didn't have the benefit of a direct comparison with the piggybacks beforehand.

I'm using the COBB on an otherwise stock car (AT), so stage 1 maps. In the 3 months or so that I've had it, still haven't fully tried out all the different combinations of maps/throttle settings. But I've found that stage 1 sport + stock throttle is excellent for normal driving (apparently similar power/tune to the 1M/335is), and when using the manual paddle shifters aggressive + linear throttle gave extra control so that might be optimal for 6MT cars.

The ease of use with install/uninstalling is undeniable, and the logging and code clearing capabilities handy. On top of that, it's significantly cheaper than both Procede and ESS. It was actually a no brainer decision for me. The 'lack of official support' for Australia reason didn't wash with me- it's basically a software solution not hardware, and COBB seem to have excellent software support for any issues over the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf View Post
Dinan for N55 just released
I saw that! Pricey option
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 11:42 PM   #17
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Glad your enjoying the COBB Ray. Sounds like fun. Would love to see some logs.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 11:58 PM   #18
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135 View Post
ill post it tonight if I remember
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 04:27 AM   #19
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135 View Post
ask and you shall receive

I still need to find the AFR and fuel trim parameter on COBB, don't think it is included in the default list or is called something else.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 04:34 AM   #20
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

You better hope your boost isn't spiking to 21 psi.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 04:36 AM   #21
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
You better hope your boost isn't spiking to 21 psi.
Yeah I saw that - let me check my other logs if it does the same thing....

edit* seems like the others do the same thing, need to ask COBB what is happening.

Last edited by RaihaX; 01-17-2012 at 04:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 04:50 AM   #22
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Am I reading right in that your peak boost (other than the spike), is around 17.5psi?!

And this is just FBO, 98RON?
Appreciate 0