BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-19-2016, 12:25 PM   #1
FN-2199
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

2008 iDrive Failure Options

Hey guys, hoping I might be able to get some good input on my situation and what my possible options are.

I've got a 2008 135i with iDrive package. When starting the car, the screen opens as it should and the BMW logo appears. However, that's about it. The screen stays at the BMW logo and occasionally will go black and reappear. There is a click of audio at this point and some interior lights will flash (the SOS on the roof control panel is the one I can recall of the top of my head). It's seems as if it is stuck in a boot loop. I have tried leaving the battery disconnected for a few hours and reattaching with no luck. I've also tried the three button reset hundreds of times and it has yet to work once.

I took the car to the local dealer. They mentioned they can attempt to reprogram the unit but can't guarantee a fix. The only guaranteed fix is to replace the CCC which they quoted at ~$1400 plus a $200 reprogram. It makes no sense to me to spend 10% of the value of the car fixing the radio.

On any other car, I'd just replace the factory radio with an aftermarket unit and be done with it. It seems this isn't a very simple swap in the case of the 135i.

Are there any fuses/connections I should check?

Is it possible to use the factory amp and speakers with an aftermarket head unit? I've seen some posts referencing this but haven't found any extensive guides on exactly the work required and the pros/cons of taking out the CCC (if that's even possible).

Any other ideas? I'd like to have a radio in the car, but I don't think I justify that cost just to listen to music.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 06:00 PM   #2
nacaruh
FOUO
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82

Yes, you can take out the CCC Unit.
Yes, you can use an aftermarket head unit, and plug up your factory amp/speakers. You can also just hook up a standard BMW Professional Head unit, if you want a factory finish.

There are a couple of members that did a retrofit (w/ and w/o nav), and place a storage tray where the navigation screen sits. It's not a common part in the US, but it is very popular in EU. If you decided to go with that, at least you don't have to cut the dashboard .

As for your iDrive issue, I've never heard of something like that. Instead of the dealership, I would talk to a local coder, and have that person reset any modules related to the iDrive unit. (If the coder has a Bavarian cable, that's even better! Better diagnostic software) If that doesn't work, something in the OS could be corrupt. Your other option is to just order a used navigation unit somewhere off eBay. It'll definitely be less than $1600...assuming you don't buy the whole set. You might want to do some research on the iDrive HDD. There's a possibility that the OS could be stored in the HDD, and maybe you can just buy that piece from somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 07:00 AM   #3
FN-2199
Rep

So if I understand correctly, the BMW professional headunit is a direct replacement? And it would cause no issues by removing the CCC? Would this unit need to be coded to the car also?

Last edited by FN-2199; 01-20-2016 at 07:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 09:17 AM   #4
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E36, E82, E90, F10, F80

Garage List
Are you thinking of doing the CCC to CIC retrofit? If so, you might as well just go the NBT route.
135is #502 of 586
BMW LED Performance Wheel | OEM FULL Carbon Fiber | E9X M3 Gauge Cluster | E9X Exterior Mirrors | E9X M3 Full Suspension | E9X M3 Diff | PT-CAN2 Enabled | Bilstiens | Michelin PSS's | NBT Navigation Retrofit with Touch Pad
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 09:52 AM   #5
FN-2199
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeaster1 View Post
Are you thinking of doing the CCC to CIC retrofit? If so, you might as well just go the NBT route.
No, I'm looking for the simplest and cheapest solution to return audio function to the car without causing issues with other systems.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 04:15 PM   #6
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E36, E82, E90, F10, F80

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FN-2199 View Post
No, I'm looking for the simplest and cheapest solution to return audio function to the car without causing issues with other systems.
If that's the case, I would just slap in some Dynavin system and call it a day.
135is #502 of 586
BMW LED Performance Wheel | OEM FULL Carbon Fiber | E9X M3 Gauge Cluster | E9X Exterior Mirrors | E9X M3 Full Suspension | E9X M3 Diff | PT-CAN2 Enabled | Bilstiens | Michelin PSS's | NBT Navigation Retrofit with Touch Pad
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 04:42 PM   #7
nacaruh
FOUO
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So if I understand correctly, the BMW professional headunit is a direct replacement? And it would cause no issues by removing the CCC? Would this unit need to be coded to the car also?
Yes, it's a direct replacement. You would probably have to get the plastic that goes around the head unit, and the one below it. Head unit goes where your climate control is currently. The climate control unit would get moved below the head unit. Coding for the head unit is simple. I believe you just need to remove the Navigation unit $VO, and add the BMW Professional Radio $VO. I don't know if you have to modify any modules.

What Downeaster mentioned, if you're looking for the simplest and cheapest way possible, then the Dynavin is a good idea. If you like the OEM look, then go with factory head unit. But before getting into all that, I would highly recommend you getting together with a reputable local coder. You could save a lot of money if that person fixes it!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 07:07 AM   #8
FN-2199
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecaf View Post
Yes, it's a direct replacement. You would probably have to get the plastic that goes around the head unit, and the one below it. Head unit goes where your climate control is currently. The climate control unit would get moved below the head unit. Coding for the head unit is simple. I believe you just need to remove the Navigation unit $VO, and add the BMW Professional Radio $VO. I don't know if you have to modify any modules.

What Downeaster mentioned, if you're looking for the simplest and cheapest way possible, then the Dynavin is a good idea. If you like the OEM look, then go with factory head unit. But before getting into all that, I would highly recommend you getting together with a reputable local coder. You could save a lot of money if that person fixes it!
Every Dynavin system I see is $1000. Don't see how that's very 'cheap'.

I've been looking for a local coder but haven't had any luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 08:59 AM   #9
nacaruh
FOUO
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Every Dynavin system I see is $1000. Don't see how that's very 'cheap'.

I've been looking for a local coder but haven't had any luck.
Why do I see one for $749.99 on eBay? And obviously it's a much cheaper option than what you were offered at the dealership, CIC or NBT Navi Retrofit. I don't think you would have to code the car with the Dynavin. It's straight up PnP.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 09:35 AM   #10
FN-2199
Rep

Good find. I only looked at the Dynavin website, duh.

This actually may be a good solution. Looks like Tischer BMW sells the dash storage compartment, is this a direct fit if I remove the factory flip up iDrive screen?

I kind of like the E9x kit better based on the screen location. Would this fit? It looks like it might, the only problem I see is that it would displace the panel that holds the heated seat buttons.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 12:41 PM   #11
FN-2199
Rep

Talked to a Dynavin rep, he says they don't make a model for the iDrive and that they can't guarantee compatibility.

Can the BMW professional headunit interface with the iDrive amp via the MOST connection? If all that's required to get this working is some coding, the cost of one of these head units and a cable to do some coding may be the best option.
Appreciate 0