BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #23
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by P90Puma View Post
Excellent, I'm OK on the rear?

Any chance of another group buy?

Looking for them in hyper black.
Rear tires sizes should be limited to 255/35/18 and 265/35/18 street or extreme summer tires for the easiest, most direct fitment. The 275/35/18 tires can work in the rear in both street and r-compound sizes, but there are some variables that can cause misfitment such as camber settings and ride height. It's been done, such as on the 135i featured in this article, but the perfect combination of modifications needs to be achieved for it to work, such as the fenders being rolled, negative camber added, and proper ride height.

We are not planning on having a group buy in the near future, but may host one at the beginning of next year.
      09-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #24
P90Puma
Would rather be driving.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ApexRaceParts View Post
It's been done, such as on the 135i featured in this article, but the perfect combination of modifications needs to be achieved for it to work, such as the fenders being rolled, negative camber added, and proper ride height.
I don't have any issue with a bit of extra camber, or rolling fenders.

My question is what do you mean by proper ride height?

I'm on m-sport suspension and if I eventually go coilovers I have no intention of dropping more than 1/2inch.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #25
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P90Puma View Post
I don't have any issue with a bit of extra camber, or rolling fenders.

My question is what do you mean by proper ride height?

I'm on m-sport suspension and if I eventually go coilovers I have no intention of dropping more than 1/2inch.
The car in this article has the ride height set at 25.5” front and rear from the ground to the center of the arch of the fender. If the ride height was lower than that, the car would have fender rubbing issues. With M-sport suspension and a 0.5" drop along with coilovers, you should be okay as long as your rears have the required camber and rolled fenders.
      09-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #26
P90Puma
Would rather be driving.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT M-Sport

Quote:
The car in this article has the ride height set at 25.5” front and rear from the ground to the center of the arch of the fender. If the ride height was lower than that, the car would have fender rubbing issues. With M-sport suspension and a 0.5" drop along with coilovers, you should be okay as long as your rears have the required camber and rolled fenders.
Sweet, that is what I will be ordering, thanks for all the help.

Need them for the spring, so hoping that group buy happens!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #27
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

WOW i need an apex set up now!!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #28
128GP
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 328i 6sp RWD M Sport

Quote:
Since it looks like you do quite a bit of performance driving, the squared setup would be more beneficial in being able to rotate the tires, and neutralizing the car so that it does not understeer like it would in factory form. The squared setup is the preferred setup for dedicated track wheels, or for those looking to reduce understeer for their HPDE's and autocross events. For the majority of owners that do not see the race track or autocross events, the wider rear tires of a staggered setup would be more beneficial, especially for the 135i models with power upgrades.
David, can the 17" ARC-8s in the e36 fitment be used on our cars? I believe they are 40 offset. I know a few folks here are running other wheels in 17's with 40 offsets and dont seem to have problems. Thoughts???
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #29
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128GP View Post
David, can the 17" ARC-8s in the e36 fitment be used on our cars? I believe they are 40 offset. I know a few folks here are running other wheels in 17's with 40 offsets and dont seem to have problems. Thoughts???
There have been racers and people that have dedicated track cars that have indeed used the 17x8.5" ET40 ARC-8, but it is not an ideal fitment. You would need to dial in a lot of negative camber up front, especially when using wider high performance summer tires or R-compounds. For the rears, you would need a combination of the proper ride height, negative camber, and rolled fenders so that the rear wheels would not rub under compression of the springs. If one is willing to do the work required to have the wheels fit, it can be done, but it is not ideal for the 1-series and is a forced fitment.

Here is an example of a race car that is running the 17x8.5" ET40 squared setup: