BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
Euro1Concept
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

Audio upgrade for 135i

Hey guys

I just bought a 135i and it has the base stereo system on it and Im looking to upgrade.

Im looking at the following option:
4" splits in the front
Leave the factory underseat woofer (I think they are 6" in the base model, 8" in the other ones - can I replace these with 8" ones?)

Run an Audison Bit10
A JL Audio XD600/6 - 2 channels for the fronts, 2 channels for the rear, 2 channels for the underseat subs.

A 10 or 12" sub powered by a mono block

Alternatively, I can get a 5 channel amp, use 2 channels for the fronts, 2 for the underseat subs, the 5th channel for the sub, then run a cheap 2 channel amp for the rears.

Or I could run the 5 channel, run the under seat subs off the 5th channel in series, then run the boot sub off a monoblock.

What you reckon is the best and most efficient setup? Is the JL Audio amp good for my needs?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Many of those questions are answered on our web site. The underseats can be upgraded to 8" after you pry the glued-in woofers out. They aren't subs, they are woofers which play a LOT of midbass. The factory speakers are horrible:

We have shipped about half a dozen bolt-on PnP systems to AUS, by the way.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
Walter K
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i (white)

I have a 128i which came with the base stereo an yes it sucked. Can't really blame BMW. They advertise ultimate driving machine and not Ultimate Audio Machine. I went to my local car audio shop and they tried to tear me a new one financially. I did some searching online and I came across Ken and the MusicarNorthwest group. Ken is really great to work with and very informative. As for the package I got, it was the Level 2 audio package with the new tweeters, replaced door and under the seat woofers. I wanted a clean stock look but still have some thump. Let me just say this was an awesome investment. My buddy I carpooled with thought I had some new surround sound equipment put in when he heard it. He asked where I put the sub and was surprised to find out that there wasn't one. That's how alive the sound came. Aside from having a sweet ride to commute in, I have a sweet sound system to go along with it. The installer that did the job was amazed at how clean and easy Ken and his team had things set up for plug and play. My co-worker that I told about the project thought it was a waste but after hearing it couldn't help but smile. I take notice of stand up businesses and MusicarNW gets my vote. If you have a problem, they take it personal and will make sure it gets resolved. Top notch professionalism.
Appreciate 0