BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-20-2010, 08:47 PM   #287
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
I would go with HPF
      12-20-2010, 09:10 PM   #288
TZANIDO777
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i, 2015 F15 X5 35D

Garage List
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I'd go with meisterschaft.
HP touring or the GT one? From the videos the GT one sounds raspy but the HP touring has a much better sound so I dont know
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 06:20 AM   #289
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mineo77 View Post
I would go with HPF
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 07:51 AM   #290
alice
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

Could someone tell me whether there are any advantages/disadvantages of having a blow off valve over the normal re-circulatory valve?

I have always wondered if there is actually any benefit other than the noise!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 08:03 AM   #291
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice View Post
Could someone tell me whether there are any advantages/disadvantages of having a blow off valve over the normal re-circulatory valve?

this is kind of a complicated issue. here are the two sides to the argument:

-at higher boost levels than stock, you need a blow off valve that can hold the higher pressure and release consistantly

-other vendors have found that the stock divertor valves work fine, even at 16 psi. they may wear out faster, but i personally haven't read of or seen any problems on this forum or my car

overall, the sound is probably the main benefit. some will argue the between shift bogging is reduced with either upgraded divertor valves (forge) or a blow off valve, but from the testing i've read about, i'm not sure it's THAT big of a difference.

i will say that once HPF releases their charge pipe/ synapse BOV combo, i'll purchase one
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 08:04 AM   #292
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
congrats BTW on placing a deposit on a 1M
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #293
mke135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Cabrio

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice View Post

It's simple, really. If you want the loud obnoxious sound, get a bov. If you want to hold boost better, get upgrade DVs (diverter valves) from forge.

Just my .02c
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #294
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by mke135i View Post
It's simple, really. If you want the loud obnoxious sound, get a bov. If you want to hold boost better, get upgrade DVs (diverter valves) from forge.

Just my .02c

this is likely the route i will go, helps keep things sleeper too.

also helps avoid extra richness in the engine when shifting gears or letting off throttle quickly.

A blow off is an effective way to hold boost better then stock, but it has the disadvantage of the rich shifts (which won't throw check engine lights on our cars) but in my opinion, we have enough carbon build up potential in our engines, so why add any more chance to add to it?

and in some peoples eyes, it also has the disadvantage of the sound. I don't want to be noticed by every riced out tin can when i drive down the street casually. I had to live with that with my last car. And i just didn't like the attention. Which is half the reason i bought this car.... Ultimate sleeper.

or like a nasty fart.... silent but deadly!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 10:07 AM   #295
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Bryce, was just thinking... yes, it hurts...

but I was thinking that this thread might be starting to get a bit on the long side for some people. Maybe time to start this thread over as Part 2 and if anyone asks the same questions that are in this thread just find and explanations that are in this thread and provide the link directly to the post.

and any new questions just address them there.

then this one can be locked off and kept at a manageable length.

Just food for thought
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 11:29 AM   #296
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mke135i View Post

Just my .02c
n54tech has a great thread that Terry w/ bms made about how well the stock divertor valves hold the upgraded boost on tuned vehicles. it definitely doesn't hurt to have aftermarket dv's, but i seem to remember him finding out that the stock ones are no slouch
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #297
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
Bryce, was just thinking... yes, it hurts...

but I was thinking that this thread might be starting to get a bit on the long side for some people. Maybe time to start this thread over as Part 2 and if anyone asks the same questions that are in this thread just find and explanations that are in this thread and provide the link directly to the post.

and any new questions just address them there.

then this one can be locked off and kept at a manageable length.

Just food for thought
not a bad point, The1. i'll give it some thought and PM the mod for this subforum to see what they think
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #298
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
I would go with HPF
i would agree but its taking way too long for any thing to come out from them, who knows when it will be out
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 02:44 PM   #299
oman135
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Any videos of the cp-e exhsust on the n55 full cat-back without dp
      12-21-2010, 04:10 PM   #300
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
I would go with HPF
I would consider HPF but they haven't released an official release date yet. All their R&D seems to be going into cars other than the 135i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZANIDO777 View Post
HP touring or the GT one? From the videos the GT one sounds raspy but the HP touring has a much better sound so I dont know
I'm not sure of the differences between them. My advice would be to get the quieter of the two if you plan to add the downpipes or midpipes section at some point otherwise get the louder option.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 10:29 PM   #301
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Hey bryce can you tell me more about the dp fix for catless dp's? I understand it goes into the ECU compartment but is the dp fix supposed to be installed into the actual JB harness or into the stock wires? Also, what are the settings? I couldn't find any installation instructions as I was curious about it. Also, how if you had catless dp's without a sim fix, how long would it take to throw a code?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 06:34 AM   #302
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

The DP fix wires into the JB3 harness and without it you would throw a code quite quickly, probably within minutes. However with the new BMS can data tool or the JB4, no need for the DP fix. It automatically handles that.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 07:57 AM   #303
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hey bryce can you tell me more about the dp fix for catless dp's? I understand it goes into the ECU compartment but is the dp fix supposed to be installed into the actual JB harness or into the stock wires? Also, what are the settings? I couldn't find any installation instructions as I was curious about it. Also, how if you had catless dp's without a sim fix, how long would it take to throw a code?
stevenc has a good point, you don't need the dpfix if you get the jb4 or cantool. the dpfix does install in the ecu compartment, if you have a PNP jb3 it goes into the harness. i had a pinout jb3, so the dpfix went just into one of the subconnectors.

as far as settings, it works great for most people on the factory setting (which is roughly 6 o'clock). i never had any codes from my catless dp's when i had the dpfix. if you get codes, terry recommended moving the dial one notch and driving 30 or 40 miles to see if the codes come back.

if you don't use a dpfix, procede, jb4, or cantool, you could get codes within 30 or 40 miles or so. by codes, you'll probably see a check engine light, and there will be cat convertor deficiency codes on the dme.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 07:58 AM   #304
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenc View Post
The DP fix wires into the JB3 harness and without it you would throw a code quite quickly, probably within minutes. However with the new BMS can data tool or the JB4, no need for the DP fix. It automatically handles that.
great points, thanks

btw, i used to have an rsx, i'm still friends w/ dabert and kevin plus others. you should come out to one of our meets, they're typically a lot of fun.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #305
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
TTT

wondering if a riss racing exhaust has any fitment problems? post here plz

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #306
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
stevenc has a good point, you don't need the dpfix if you get the jb4 or cantool. the dpfix does install in the ecu compartment, if you have a PNP jb3 it goes into the harness. i had a pinout jb3, so the dpfix went just into one of the subconnectors.

as far as settings, it works great for most people on the factory setting (which is roughly 6 o'clock). i never had any codes from my catless dp's when i had the dpfix. if you get codes, terry recommended moving the dial one notch and driving 30 or 40 miles to see if the codes come back.

if you don't use a dpfix, procede, jb4, or cantool, you could get codes within 30 or 40 miles or so. by codes, you'll probably see a check engine light, and there will be cat convertor deficiency codes on the dme.
Thanks for the replies. So for dealer visits, those that are completely stock would need a dp fix or would have to erase codes as soon as you get to the dealership right? Also, what about those that are running a tune such as Procede or JB4 which delete codes. If they remove the piggyback before they go into the dealership and leave the catless dp's in for service would it likely trigger a code during this time? It seems kind of risky so it would be best to leave in the Procede/JB4 but then they might find that too. Also, do you know where the instructions are for dp fix installation? I would like to know a bit more about what's involved. thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 03:36 PM   #307
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. So for dealer visits, those that are completely stock would need a dp fix or would have to erase codes as soon as you get to the dealership right? Also, what about those that are running a tune such as Procede or JB4 which delete codes. If they remove the piggyback before they go into the dealership and leave the catless dp's in for service would it likely trigger a code during this time? It seems kind of risky so it would be best to leave in the Procede/JB4 but then they might find that too. Also, do you know where the instructions are for dp fix installation? I would like to know a bit more about what's involved. thanks again!
i leave my procede in the ecu compartment for dealer visits but:

a. my dealer is very cool with me and my mods

b. i don't really give a fuck if they weren't, you can't "loose" your warranty for having aftermarket parts installed; unless they cause a problem. for service or hpfp replacements, i go to the dealer fully modded.

install instructions for dpfix
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 09:57 AM   #308
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep
Drives: Ordered: 2023 G80 M3 6MT

Im going to use the at work no time to search excuse for being lazy

Can someone post stock n54 dyno and jb3, procede dynos?

My boss doesn't believe the tunes give that much power.
Appreciate 0