BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #23
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
I wonder how the comparison would work if we discussed tuned cars. I pretty much keep my car in D all the time unless I'm practically racing or extreme cornering. For sure I went to DS mode more before I was tuned. And now I rarely manual shift. Basically to me, tuned these cars are a handful and shifting would just be one more thing to handle.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #24
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
I wonder how the comparison would work if we discussed tuned cars. I pretty much keep my car in D all the time unless I'm practically racing or extreme cornering. For sure I went to DS mode more before I was tuned. And now I rarely manual shift. Basically to me, tuned these cars are a handful and shifting would just be one more thing to handle.
+1.

I've found with even the moderate ppk tune that D now behaves like DS pretune. I almost never go into DS anymore unless I really want to lay some rubber. Nice thing is that I still get D mpg.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #25
alvitdk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Pretty much 100% manual shifting, it tends to shift a bit slow when cold, so the first mile I have it on DS, than shifting. Interestingly I tried to see how it effects gas milage, and I'm glad to say that I gain about 2 miles/gal when shifting manually instead of relying on the D mode. Now, obviously it's no fun to shift at 2k or even lower but shifting earlier than the automatic does in D position does safe gas on those backroads. But since I did buy the car for some fun, I shift later!
Also Drive: 22' Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Waiting for 23' BMW Z4 M40i:
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 08:17 AM   #26
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

I have a tune in my car. I use DS always about town and D only on the interstate.

With tune and in DS the car is scary fast sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #27
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

I know I'm not the only person that finds the GM-made GA6L45R automatic in the 128i to be horribly lazy and almost always in the wrong gear when in Drive. Or...at least I can't be?! For normal (read, lazy) driving, it's fine, but as soon as you want to accelerate, you're left waiting for a downshift, which never occurs, forcing you to push down more on the accelerator. Bam, the downshift occurs and now you're accelerating faster than you originally wanted to.

It's also really bad about downshifting as you're slowing down, particularly when approaching slow turns. It hangs onto 3rd gear for far too long and will accelerate very lazily out of the turn in 3rd gear. Or, you can go through the aforementioned routine and get a very abrupt and jerky downshift to 2nd, and more acceleration than is wanted or needed. Honestly, I blame this on BMW's philosophy that the torque converter be locked whenever possible. If the torque converter would just unlock in these situations, you'd be left with just enough acceleration and without an ungainly downshift.

With all that said, these are just a couple of the reasons why I spend about 80% of my driving time in Manual mode rather than Drive. But, I would wager that 99% of auto buyers leave the transmission in Drive and never think twice about it. To that point, my partner occasionally has driven my car and commented that it's really slow compared to his car (a 4-cylinder econobox used solely for commuting). Wow, thanks for the insult! But seriously, it's because the transmission in my car, when in Drive, is so lazy and makes you really have to exercise the accelerator to get meaningful acceleration. I've driven GM vehicles that employ the same transmission and they behave far more acceptably in Drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #28
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The 135 with tune does not have this issue. The tranny shifts very fast.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #29
monkeyofspice
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by e34m5 View Post
The 135 with tune does not have this issue. The tranny shifts very fast.
+1 I never thought I would ever buy a AT but on my test drive I was amazed how fast it responded in DS. The only thing thing I don't like is how it wants to drop down in M2 when I step on it in M5. It so unnecessary with the power-band these cars have IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #30
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyofspice View Post
+1 I never thought I would ever by a AT but on my test drive I was amazed how fast it responded in DS. The only thing thing I don't like is how it wants to drop down in M2 when I step on it in M5. It so unnecessary with the power-band these cars have IMO.
All step BMWs have a second "floor", you push past the first floor stop point and the car downshifts into the lowest possible gear.

As a guy whose accidentally slammed it into first at autox I can assure you that this is the problem

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #31
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
All step BMWs have a second "floor", you push past the first floor stop point and the car downshifts into the lowest possible gear.

As a guy whose accidentally slammed it into first at autox I can assure you that this is the problem
x2 If you push the accelerator past the resistance point, you'll hit the kickdown switch and the transmission will downshift to the lowest gear possible. Most modern automatics have this, including all current BMW automatics (DCT included).
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #32
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Yes, I wanted an MT but the $ for this car was a steal.

Winter: No Cobb A/P, DS mode 75%, unless hwy cruising then D.
The Fun Seasons: Cobb Stage II, D 75% of the time, 25% of the time I switch between DS and manual. Depends on my mood and who is tailing me

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #33
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

regardless of tune in D the car is lazy compared to manual paddle shifting. DS mode is a tad better at quicker shifts but the best is manual paddle mode for better physical engagement and bringing the rpms up in each gear till YOU want to shift like in a MT..with the added bonus of not loosing boost in between shifts like in a MT car. After driving in D, it's a pleasure to paddle shift again...This Step guy feels lucky to have both options. Driving my daughter to school at 35-45mph in traffic it's a pleasure to have the D space mode for it compliments the driver in front of me doing 35 in a 40 mph for the last 10 miles.
      02-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #34
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

Yeah I have to agree, as a daily driver the Steptronic really is the best of both worlds. From a technical and practical standpoint once could argue the step tranny is the better choice.

All of that aside, I still miss working the clutch.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #35
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

and remeber guys..... everyonce and a while it is a good thing to re-set the steptronic.. the transmission control unit in this car has a memory, and as time goes buy you feel that the shifts become a little lazy... this is called adaptation.. we can reset the adaptation back to "zero" by doing the following:

a) get in car, close door
b) insert key,
c) hit start /stop button to turn car on, BUT NOT running ( warning lights on dash should be illumnated)
d) Press and hold accelerator to the floor PAST the detent for over 2 Minutes ( get in a comfy position because 2 minutes pressing accelerator is boring)
e) after 2 minutes release accelerator
f) Press on brake and start car
g) let idle for a moment, then drive off and enjoy snappy shifts

there is no limit to the times this can be done... I do it about once a month or every other month.

This is highly recommended for people who buy pre-owned cars, as you will inherit the driving profile of the previous owner. it could have been an old lady from pasadina and you wont enjoy the car as much..

Good Luck !!!
      02-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #36
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
and remeber guys..... everyonce and a while it is a good thing to re-set the steptronic.. the transmission control unit in this car has a memory, and as time goes buy you feel that the shifts become a little lazy... this is called adaptation.. we can reset the adaptation back to "zero" by doing the following:

a) get in car, close door
b) insert key,
c) hit start /stop button to turn car on, BUT NOT running ( warning lights on dash should be illumnated)
d) Press and hold accelerator to the floor PAST the detent for over 2 Minutes ( get in a comfy position because 2 minutes pressing accelerator is boring)
e) after 2 minutes release accelerator
f) Press on brake and start car
g) let idle for a moment, then drive off and enjoy snappy shifts

there is no limit to the times this can be done... I do it about once a month or every other month.

This is highly recommended for people who buy pre-owned cars, as you will inherit the driving profile of the previous owner. it could have been an old lady from pasadina and you wont enjoy the car as much..

Good Luck !!!
Does this really do anything, though?? I've tried this a couple times and shifting afterward was exactly the same.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #37
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
Does this really do anything, though?? I've tried this a couple times and shifting afterward was exactly the same.
Does for me every time??? I espically notice it after a full day of tracking.. I drive home and the trans shift points are no where near wher they need to be or should be on a regular drive home.

your driving style may not change and be somewhat more consistent, hence you see and or feel no preceviable difference.

my daily communte is soooooo lame, i notice ??

I guesss this may be a good place for a YMMV clause
      02-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #38
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
x2 If you push the accelerator past the resistance point, you'll hit the kickdown switch and the transmission will downshift to the lowest gear possible. Most modern automatics have this, including all current BMW automatics (DCT included).
AT's have had kickdowns since the beginning of time. Not just BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #39
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
D w/passenger unless they are addicted then its DS.

D when consistently over say 50mph

And I'll usually wait until car is warmed up for the DS fun to begin.
      02-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #40
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iUSN View Post
And I'll usually wait until car is warmed up for the DS fun to begin.
Always a wise decision.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #41
JefryHorizon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bus Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
Yes, I wanted an MT but the $ for this car was a steal.
I too fell into the same hole... You could say I have a love-hate relationship with my gearbox.. I love how fast she shifts sometimes and at other times I wish she didn't shift at all.. ms. DME unit, please don't tell me what gear I should be in.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #42
FJUNO78
Captain
Rep
Drives: 25 to 2

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
2007 e92 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
not sure if you know this but you can paddle shift in d mode.

I'm in D for daily driving. I'll pop it into m when I hit some twisty roads, or just down shift a couple blips and get it around 4000 rpm to enter a nice turn.

On the track it's always m with 90% paddle

once you get used to it the car can be driven just like a manual. Biggest down side to AT is the extra heat it causes for the oil.
paddles in D mode is horrific. The shifts feel like the GM tranny.

For me DS 90% of the time... paddles about 5% of the time... I use them less and less as time goes on
      02-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #43
RedExX5
BAM!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canefan
Just curious how most people drive with the AT in these cars. How much time do you spend in D vs DS? How many go right to M mode and drive it like a manual? Also, if driving in manual and you have the Sport Pkg, do you prefer using the paddles or the shift lever to shift?

I came from an E46 M3 SMG and only got the AT so that my wife could drive the car. I really wanted the 6MT. That said, I go right to M mode mostly and shift from the shift lever as that's what I'm used to from the M. Hardly ever used the paddles except when having fun on twisty roads and wanting to leave both hands on the wheel.
I came from an e39 6-speed. So far I've spent probably 95% in M...the other 5% in normal D when my gf has been driving it. We needed another car that we could both drive and she struggled with a stick.

Only been using the paddles lately, but I'm also only at 230 miles so far. I prefer the actual shifter.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #44
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
I drive in D most of the time... my commute is a bit annoying in fairly heavy traffic so its nice to just zone out. But when I'm out driving for fun its either in DS or I use the paddle. I will sometimes use the DS to pass or just downshift a gear... Really depends on mood.
Appreciate 0