BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-16-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
AlBel1214
Major
Rep
Drives: past 135i, now c6, future M3??

The good and the bad....

Wow finally going to the strip a few times I really am a fan of the 1(this thing rocks there)..whats also cool is all that I have heard is nothing but positive feedback from the other car guys there...

On a negative note at this point I feel like there really are only 2 types of people who don't like this car..

1) people who have no clue about BMW's and associate the first number of the model as price/size only (aka thinking we bought the cheap mans BMW or little girly car)...

2) people with BMW's who think having a number greater than a 1 as the first number in the model makes them better(aka assholes )...ha ha

I don't know whats worse my friend who drives an old SUV and does not know what a turbo even is telling me my car looks like a go cart.. or people with 7 series (who care about nothing but being able to say they have a 7 series) looking at me like I am stepping into thier territory...

ehh just a thought

-----LS3 C6-----
z51 suspension, NPP dual mode exhaust(wild2mild),20% tint, zr1 replica wheels, gloss black fender stripes
R.I.P SGM 135i w/ some mods
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
elciddragon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i LeMans Blue

I wouldn't worry about the bad too much. I mean, 1 vs 7 is not meaningful at all, they are completely different cars. I feel like the only cars in BMWs lineup that can be compared would be one size up/down from what it is...so for the 1 that would make it the 3 or Z4? Clearly all very very different cars, but just for a good argument. The 7 series owners should be more worried about people in 5's than 1's!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 07:22 AM   #3
ruffstik
Pirate
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2 G87 - on the list

Garage List
2008 135i  [9.50]
I could care less what other people think of my BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 07:41 AM   #4
JB135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

You missed number 3

3) People who are being honest about it's shortfalls. These people are also mad at themselves for not being more patient in the buying process and mad at BMW for promoting the car as something it really isn't.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 07:47 AM   #5
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Sounds like you need new friends.
And stop worrying what people think about your car. Suffice it to say that knowledgeable people generally recognize that the 1 is a very good car.
      04-17-2009, 08:03 AM   #6
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135i View Post
You missed number 3

3) People who are being honest about it's shortfalls. These people are also mad at themselves for not being more patient in the buying process and mad at BMW for promoting the car as something it really isn't.
JB135, are you inferring that you have buyer's remorse over your 135?

True, the 135 is not a pure homologation special like the e30 M3 was. However the 135 is certainly a wicked and very capable little speed demon. The recent Roundel mag put it best...they said "while the 135 is a great car out of the box...it is an even better canvas for tuning." Implying that the aftermarket tuners can make this car even better.

Personally. This is my list of shortfalls for the car.

1. Suspension too soft for enthusiasts like us.
2. Exhaust too quiet for enthusiasts like us.
3. No Limited Slip
4. Too heavy to be a real track star.
5. Run Flats

However, as with any product, you also have to take into account the deisgn constraints. BMW was set on designing an great small coupe to bring back the feel of the e30 or 2002 models. However they had to do this on a budget and without stepping on the toes of their M cars and still make it civil enough to have respectable sales volumes. Sure the engineers knew they could eek more out of the 1er. But their design constraints kept them from upping the ante so as to not intrude on M territory or jeopardize sales volumes by narrowing the target market too drastically.

Thankfully for those of us that do view the 1er as a canvas for tuning, we can do mods till our heart is content and maybe even terrorize some M cars in the process.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 08:50 AM   #7
AlBel1214
Major
Rep
Drives: past 135i, now c6, future M3??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Sounds like you need new friends.
And stop worrying what people think about your car. Suffice it to say that knowledgeable people generally recognize that the 1 is a very good car.

Ha ha.. I don't worry about what people think I am just making an observation.. I like having a car that makes people comment in either a good or bad way...(better than having the same honda or toyota you see all the time that doesn't draw attention)

but yeah I agree people in the know def. like this car..

-----LS3 C6-----
z51 suspension, NPP dual mode exhaust(wild2mild),20% tint, zr1 replica wheels, gloss black fender stripes
R.I.P SGM 135i w/ some mods
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 11:32 AM   #8
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBel1214 View Post
2) people with BMW's who think having a number greater than a 1 as the first number in the model makes them better.
The number on one of my BMWs begins with 3.0. That doesn't make it a 3 series. It doesn't make it better or worse than a 1, just different.
      04-17-2009, 11:59 AM   #9
philaf_666
Philaf_666
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
JB135, are you inferring that you have buyer's remorse over your 135?

True, the 135 is not a pure homologation special like the e30 M3 was. However the 135 is certainly a wicked and very capable little speed demon. The recent Roundel mag put it best...they said "while the 135 is a great car out of the box...it is an even better canvas for tuning." Implying that the aftermarket tuners can make this car even better.

Personally. This is my list of shortfalls for the car.

1. Suspension too soft for enthusiasts like us.
2. Exhaust too quiet for enthusiasts like us.
3. No Limited Slip
4. Too heavy to be a real track star.
5. Run Flats

However, as with any product, you also have to take into account the deisgn constraints. BMW was set on designing an great small coupe to bring back the feel of the e30 or 2002 models. However they had to do this on a budget and without stepping on the toes of their M cars and still make it civil enough to have respectable sales volumes. Sure the engineers knew they could eek more out of the 1er. But their design constraints kept them from upping the ante so as to not intrude on M territory or jeopardize sales volumes by narrowing the target market too drastically.

Thankfully for those of us that do view the 1er as a canvas for tuning, we can do mods till our heart is content and maybe even terrorize some M cars in the process.
+ 1
Appreciate 0