BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-29-2019, 11:43 AM   #1
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

MILVS

My car is new to me...I've only had it 3 weeks maybe. I had already bought a 3SI in anticipation of finding the right car. Yesterday my rear differential (3:73) arrived, so I plan to put that in as soon as I can get time. Already got the new fluids for the diff even though it has less than 25K miles on it, and fluid to do the 6MT.

My Active Autowerkes headers should be arriving in the next week or so. I plan to install the 3SI first, then Headers, then have a tune done by BPC.

I had been mulling over the idea of MILVS, but wasn't really convinced until I read through all the posts of people swearing by them. Figured I could pick up a set, and when it's time to do the VCG I would do them and then get BPC to retune for them.

Problem I am having is where to get them at. I've seen the guys name posted about, but don't think I can PM yet. Plus I would be buying them and holding for awhile as the VCG isn't leaking, and I hate to go into it without a secondary reason. My biggest problem is finding the time to do it all.

Work has been crazy, and it seems that I only have time to do one project at a time without getting behind with my day to day job.

From what I have read, I assume that I can do the intake and drive around with no issues until I have time to do the headers. At that point the tune will go in as well.

Can anyone point me in the general direction of where to pick up a set? I really appreciate it.

I can't wait to do the rear diff. In any car I have ever had and modified, a gear swap has always been the biggest SOTP improvement I've noticed. I have added Heads, Cam, Intake to one of my previous Corvettes that added ~100hp to the rear wheels, but just swapping out the diff felt like I added it all over again!
      01-29-2019, 12:26 PM   #2
varoadking
King of Goodness
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i Coupe

Garage List
2012 BMW 128i  [0.00]
PM sent...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 01:16 PM   #3
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by varoadking View Post
PM sent...
Received. Thanks so much!
      01-29-2019, 04:47 PM   #4
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Here's some pics & info...
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
asbrr539.00
Rmtt8206.00
Phil@BPC463.00
      01-30-2019, 08:40 AM   #5
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

Header installation sucks. If you’re going to farm out a job to an indy, that’s the job... VCG will leak soon so just do the MILVs and the gasket so you don’t have to worry about it. The VCG is not too bad of a job. Figuring out how to shimmy the cover to get it out of the engine bay is the only real challenging part. There is a great walkthrough on PelicanParts’ website.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      01-30-2019, 12:44 PM   #6
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
Header installation sucks. If you’re going to farm out a job to an indy, that’s the job... VCG will leak soon so just do the MILVs and the gasket so you don’t have to worry about it. The VCG is not too bad of a job. Figuring out how to shimmy the cover to get it out of the engine bay is the only real challenging part. There is a great walkthrough on PelicanParts’ website.
Honestly I was thinking about farming out the VCG and MILVS as I'm only a few hours away from BPC, so I may arrange a road trip so that I can get everything tuned. I plan to put the rear diff in the car within the next couple of weeks. Also got an email that my headers showed up today.

I pan to attempt the headers myself. I've done headers most recently on a C5, and then my current C6....both time off of jack stands. Not sure how they compare to the BMW installation, but headers on a Corvette are fairly easy...just time consuming getting everything aligned and being patient.

But since you mentioned it, I will have a closer look at them to see if I want to try and do the headers.
      01-30-2019, 03:01 PM   #7
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

These just showed up. They are tiny compared to the LG Pros for my Corvette. Anyone know what the weight savings are offhand between these and the stock manifolds with the catalytic converters?

I'm not sure if I've ever seen weights posted before although I probably haven't looked hard enough.

My car had a muffler delete when I bought it....but everything else is still in place. I'm pretty sure I will have to end up putting a muffler back on to reduce drone and rasp. Looking through the forum today, I really liked a sound clip I heard of a 128i with these headers, secondary converters, and the 135i muffler.

View post on imgur.com
      01-30-2019, 03:41 PM   #8
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Can confirm muffler delete + headers is loud as shit
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      01-30-2019, 08:38 PM   #9
rowsdower
Captain
Rep

I have heard that headers + 135i muffler is a good combo. I have stock exhaust except the headers and it's slightly different from stock but not a lot different. I'd like to do a 135i muffler but probably won't bother.

Give the headers a shot. I spent something like 8 hours on it and was 1/4 of the way through, and my forearms and hands were ALL cut up from the heat shield and other crap in the way. This engine bay is pretty tight. Part of that was the fact that this was a northeast car and everything is rusty. I brought it to an indy and it cost $400 (when bundled with an oil pan gasket job). I do not regret admitting defeat on that job.

Be aware lots of people, me included, have trouble with these cars idling well after headers. It seems that more often than not, it's N51 cars that have issues instead of N52 cars.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 05:25 AM   #10
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have heard that headers + 135i muffler is a good combo. I have stock exhaust except the headers and it's slightly different from stock but not a lot different. I'd like to do a 135i muffler but probably won't bother.

Give the headers a shot. I spent something like 8 hours on it and was 1/4 of the way through, and my forearms and hands were ALL cut up from the heat shield and other crap in the way. This engine bay is pretty tight. Part of that was the fact that this was a northeast car and everything is rusty. I brought it to an indy and it cost $400 (when bundled with an oil pan gasket job). I do not regret admitting defeat on that job.

Be aware lots of people, me included, have trouble with these cars idling well after headers. It seems that more often than not, it's N51 cars that have issues instead of N52 cars.

Good luck.

Thanks!

I have been following the issue with idle issues....especially with the N51 cars. I've been watching the one post in this thread of a guy who is fighting the issue now. I hope that I don't run into it being an N52 engine.

My car is a South East car, and I have plenty of penetrating oil for the mid-pipe!

I figured that I would do my rear diff first..(when it warms up some) as I hate scraping knuckles when it's cold outside. I would do the 3SI second as I will be able to drive with it without the tune.

Then I hope by the time I get to the headers, there will be more insight into what is causing the issue and I can already benefit unfortunately from what others went through. I plan to have the BPC tune ready for when I do the headers.

From what I have been reading, the problem isn't in the tune. And I know the N51 has a lot more emission stuff going on. So maybe these guys will get sorted pretty quick. I hope for their sake they do.

I have also read of a lot of people installing headers and tuning, and having no issues.

I need to look more, but is a throttle adaptation required after doing the headers? I have read about turning on the ignition, holding the pedal for 30 seconds, etc.

These cars are some finicky creatures! My Corvette was so much easier. Plus H.P. Tuners has such a great GUI, it's easy to learn.
      01-31-2019, 08:16 AM   #11
rowsdower
Captain
Rep

I’m the one doing most of the complaining on this forum regarding the idle issue. The thread is called eccentric sensor unplugging or something. I have been living with my idle issue for a while and it is pretty annoying at times but livable. I also have the luxury of grabbing a different set of keys when I don’t feel like dealing with it. If this were my only car I’d have ditched the headers within a couple months.

Anyway yes adaptations need to be reset and that is best done via INPA. If you are going to get into modding, you should download BMW Standard Tools (includes INPA and NCS Expert). There are many download files floating around but the only one that really worked for me is the version linked from the Bimmergeeks website. Also, you will need a K+DCAN cable specific to BMWs. Do not go to Amazon, or eBay. The one you want is on the Bimmergeeks website. Yes it is twice the cost of the Amazon cable but the others don’t work well. Ask me how I know!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 09:32 AM   #12
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I’m the one doing most of the complaining on this forum regarding the idle issue. The thread is called eccentric sensor unplugging or something. I have been living with my idle issue for a while and it is pretty annoying at times but livable. I also have the luxury of grabbing a different set of keys when I don’t feel like dealing with it. If this were my only car I’d have ditched the headers within a couple months.

Anyway yes adaptations need to be reset and that is best done via INPA. If you are going to get into modding, you should download BMW Standard Tools (includes INPA and NCS Expert). There are many download files floating around but the only one that really worked for me is the version linked from the Bimmergeeks website. Also, you will need a K+DCAN cable specific to BMWs. Do not go to Amazon, or eBay. The one you want is on the Bimmergeeks website. Yes it is twice the cost of the Amazon cable but the others don’t work well. Ask me how I know!
Sorry to hear your the one having the issues. Maybe I will just do the rear diff and 3SI, and then tune for just the intake and see how the car runs for awhile.

After that, I can decide if I want to add the headers. Last thing I want to do is throw everything on at once and have an issue....too many variables to deal with!

Hope you get yours sorted out as nothing sucks more than having a fun car to drive and not being able to drive it.
      01-31-2019, 12:34 PM   #13
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

On a side note....can the Schwaben BMW/MINI scan tool sold by ECS reset adaptations? I think I read somewhere that it could, plus you get the battery code feature, and all the other code read / resets it comes with.

I have talked with BPC, and they told me as long as their are no other issues going on with the car, I shouldn't have any issues with the headers. If I understood correctly, the trick is getting them put on, running the car until I get an SES light, pull and clear the codes, load the new tune, and then reset the adaptations.

If it does, it looks like this would be the easiest way to troubleshoot most of any minor issues I may see as I don't plan on doing any coding.

If I did want to do some coding, it would be something simple as an Angel Eye setup for later when I swap out my stock Halogens. But I suppose I could use Carly for that.

Thanks!
      01-31-2019, 01:15 PM   #14
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Also just looking around and seen the ProTool from BimmerGeeks.

That looks pretty appealing for simple stuff like I would maybe need.
      01-31-2019, 01:29 PM   #15
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Yeah don't bother with any tools besides ProTool or just using a K+DCAN cable with INPA/Tool32/etc
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 02:16 PM   #16
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
Yeah don't bother with any tools besides ProTool or just using a K+DCAN cable with INPA/Tool32/etc
Thanks for the input! That ProTool looks like just the thing I need.

Lol....it sucks being a newbie again at all this. I learned tuning ages ago as all my cars were LT or LS engines. The GUI on Hp Tuners is so easy. I've even did some tuning on some Ford platforms when I had my Terminator.

But these BMW'S are in a whole other league....or I'm just getting older and set in my ways!
      01-31-2019, 02:46 PM   #17
Dogeeseegod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Blue Water 128i-6

I didn't see a link or anything to say where you guys got the MILVS.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 03:59 PM   #18
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogeeseegod View Post
I didn't see a link or anything to say where you guys got the MILVS.
Pm sent.
      01-31-2019, 04:15 PM   #19
Dogeeseegod
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Pm sent.
TYTY
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 04:45 PM   #20
Dogeeseegod
Private First Class
Rep

http://bimmermilvs.com/
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2019, 05:13 PM   #21
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
One thing you may want to look into is Carly. It's good for simple things like routine error reading/clearing, does battery calibration, and can code simpler features like DRL's and such.

I have both Carly and the BMW Tools Suite (with a Bimmergeeks Cable). If I can't do it with Carly, I'm guaranteed to be able to do it with the BMW Tools...
      01-31-2019, 05:25 PM   #22
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
One thing you may want to look into is Carly. It's good for simple things like routine error reading/clearing, does battery calibration, and can code simpler features like DRL's and such.

I have both Carly and the BMW Tools Suite (with a Bimmergeeks Cable). If I can't do it with Carly, I'm guaranteed to be able to do it with the BMW Tools...

Sounds like a good all around combo!