BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-18-2019, 03:43 PM   #1
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

BPC Tuning on the way

So I went ahead and ordered the BPC 3 stage intake tune today. I have all the parts waiting, so last thing was to get with them. I will upload the current ECU file, send it off, and have the modified tune waiting for me so that I'm ready to go once I get a chance to make the swap.

I'm still concerned about the DISA valves that came with my intake. They are solid, no play, but the green gasket material looks a little worse for wear. I'm not sure if the gasket material really matters as long as they actuate.

But I currently have no "sure" way of testing them aside from plugging them in and see if they actuate. Also read that you could crank the car with them plugged into the harness, and see if they open at the different RPM ranges. But I would think the tune would have to be already loaded to determine that.

The other alternative is to buy new ones from the vendor who guarantees their stuff with a lifetime warranty....at least that would give me the peace of mind of knowing I have good parts.

Just hate putting that money out there and finding out I had a working set already.

Also a thought, I have a great Indy shop close by.....I'm sure he probably has the means to bench test them.
      03-18-2019, 07:56 PM   #2
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
So I went ahead and ordered the BPC 3 stage intake tune today. I have all the parts waiting, so last thing was to get with them. I will upload the current ECU file, send it off, and have the modified tune waiting for me so that I'm ready to go once I get a chance to make the swap.

I'm still concerned about the DISA valves that came with my intake. They are solid, no play, but the green gasket material looks a little worse for wear. I'm not sure if the gasket material really matters as long as they actuate.

But I currently have no "sure" way of testing them aside from plugging them in and see if they actuate. Also read that you could crank the car with them plugged into the harness, and see if they open at the different RPM ranges. But I would think the tune would have to be already loaded to determine that.

The other alternative is to buy new ones from the vendor who guarantees their stuff with a lifetime warranty....at least that would give me the peace of mind of knowing I have good parts.

Just hate putting that money out there and finding out I had a working set already.

Also a thought, I have a great Indy shop close by.....I'm sure he probably has the means to bench test them.
INPA has a DISA test routine. Plug in the valves and check them.

I believe they will also cycle with the ignition can't say for sure. I used INPA to check mine.
Appreciate 3
Rmtt8206.00
Taskmaster2463.00
asbrr539.00
      03-19-2019, 05:48 AM   #3
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
INPA has a DISA test routine. Plug in the valves and check them.

I believe they will also cycle with the ignition can't say for sure. I used INPA to check mine.
As much as I have been avoiding having to learn a new tuning software, I may end up having to do so. I don't know a thing about INPA.

If it were a Tech 2 or HP Tuners software....I would be golden!
      03-19-2019, 06:59 AM   #4
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

IMO, you seem like the type of person who likes to tinker. You'll want Standard Tools (INPA) for this car. It takes a while to understand how it works but it's important to have if you like to mess with the car. You can activate many different components through INPA to test them, look at live sensor readings with the car running, check and clear codes, etc. It's a pain in the ass to install and use (it's all in German) but it's worth it if you like modding the car.

There are many versions floating around but the only one I could get to work is linked on the Bimmergeeks website. You should use the Bimmergeeks cable too... all the eBay ones did not work for me.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      03-19-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
IMO, you seem like the type of person who likes to tinker. You'll want Standard Tools (INPA) for this car. It takes a while to understand how it works but it's important to have if you like to mess with the car. You can activate many different components through INPA to test them, look at live sensor readings with the car running, check and clear codes, etc. It's a pain in the ass to install and use (it's all in German) but it's worth it if you like modding the car.

There are many versions floating around but the only one I could get to work is linked on the Bimmergeeks website. You should use the Bimmergeeks cable too... all the eBay ones did not work for me.
Guilty as charged. I'm actually a little OCD about it. To me there is nothing like having a nice weekend of doing something to one of my cars.
      03-19-2019, 12:56 PM   #6
varoadking
King of Goodness
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i Coupe

Garage List
2012 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:

If they can be bench tested, I'm sure you could ship them to BPC to have that done. They could also comment on their condition overall...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 03:33 PM   #7
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by varoadking View Post
If they can be bench tested, I'm sure you could ship them to BPC to have that done. They could also comment on their condition overall...
Well I had them out looking at them again, and the smaller of the two valves had some issues I didn't notice before. The pin on the bottom that seats into the intake was cracked on one side.

So I figured just screw it. I ordered 2 new valves from FCP that will be here by the end of the week with a lifetime guarantee. Now I just have to find time to get everything started. My cables from BPC should be here any day, and I'm going to upload my current file and send it to them. Randall said they would get everything setup and the modified file sent back to me usually by the next day.

I have so much stuff sitting here ready to go. Also had my Depo V2's Angel Eyes arrive today. So I will be installing them to replace the stock halogens at some point, and then have to figure out the coding for the running lights.

Also hoping to get my Apex ARC 8's mounted this week!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 03:41 PM   #8
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So uploaded my factory tune this past weekend, sent it off to Bob this morning, and I have my modified tune back this afternoon ready to go.

So I'm planning to do my 3SI and tune this coming weekend!

Can't wait!!!
      04-02-2019, 08:43 AM   #9
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
So uploaded my factory tune this past weekend, sent it off to Bob this morning, and I have my modified tune back this afternoon ready to go.

So I'm planning to do my 3SI and tune this coming weekend!

Can't wait!!!
You're really going at this, aren't you? I'm amazed that you've made 500 posts in 4 months
Rmtt8206.00
      04-02-2019, 12:46 PM   #10
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
You're really going at this, aren't you? I'm amazed that you've made 500 posts in 4 months
LOL....I can't help it. You should see how many posts I have on the Corvette website. At least there....most of them are helping other people and not asking tons of questions like I am on here as I know that platform very well.

Plus I found that this forum had a "fitness" section...and that is something I have a ton of experience with so I help on there if asked.

I'm OCD about any kind of project...it relaxes me. I guess it's the Engineer in me. I always have to have something scheduled to do, I can't even sit down at home long enough to watch a movie sometimes cause I feel like I'm being unproductive.

I had actually already bought the intake before I ever found the car I was looking for. Then I bought the rear diff and installed it. I even already have a set of AA Headers and MILVS sitting in my garage waiting to go on.

But you better believe that I have been reading twice as much as I post. This car is like a new toy for me, and I research pretty much anything that interests me....sometimes to the point of scaring my wife!

I carry an itinerary on vacation...so I am kind of obsessive about things.
      04-02-2019, 01:52 PM   #11
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Also....if you look at some of my posts....they will be at crazy hours of the mornings.

I don't sleep alot. I get up at 3:30am through the week, and on weekends....sleeping in is about 4:30am for me.

So while everyone else here at home is sleeping, I'm reading and posting!

I know....I live an exciting life.