BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-27-2010, 09:08 AM   #45
flyingfortress
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

any plans on actually making the street series? this is going on forever.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 07:55 AM   #46
and 1
winter mode
Italy
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 88 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [7.50]
I bought it off their website. I think all they have now is the dual walled tips....iirc. I think they're going to do ceramic coated as well

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 03:44 PM   #47
Upgrade+
Good life
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 AW

^Can Rich or someone at MadDad confirm this?? I've been waiting to hear from them to officially confirm this.
Current: 08 E90 M3 Alpine White Former: 11 135i Msport Space Gray -Former: 07 335i Titanium Silver E92- Former: 08 135i Alpine White E82- Past: 06 Subaru STI WRB- Past: 04 Audi S4 Imola yellow- Past:97 Honda prelude Ice blue
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 11:24 PM   #48
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Guys,

Let me clear up a little confusion here. First off the Street series is a different beast all together when compared to the Whisper series. These are two different exhausts. We recently updated the Whisper series with a new double walled tip that looks like the Street series tips and I think that has some believing these exhaust are one in the same..but they are not. If you look to the early posts in this thread with the photos of the Street series you'll see there is no "muffler"...so the Street series is a bit more in line with the Berk, aFe, or AA muffler-less axleback sections. The Whisper series is still the Whispers series..the defacto standard for no drone in the cabin but also a quiter exhaust overall. More of an option for getting much better sporting sound character without adding volume inside the car cabin.

This has been going on forever(getting the Street series finished), mainly due to wanting to get the sound dialed in for the best in cabin sound quality(realative to a muffler-less design). We've had multiple false re-ship dates on our latest revised unit for testing. After some very last minute discussions we decided to make an entire new unit rather than cutting up and re-hashing the last unit we tested. That's taken some time. Even though the new unit will still look muffler-less, it will in fact have an integrated baffle core in the 3" piping that is allowing us to tune the sound frequency to remove some of the in cabin drone we experienced in early testing. I've combed through the threads and it seems drone is a universal issue with all the muffler-less designs(and even many of the full muffler ones). I don't think there is any way to eliminate it without a real muffler but our goal with our Street seires exhaust is to tune the sound to minimize it more so than what would be expected form a muffler-less design. Being the last one to the party with a muffler-less design we want to make sure we re-set the bar on the in-cabin refinement. It's taking longer than I hoped for to due that but we should have the next "real" update with the new unit very shorty.

R.
      06-02-2010, 12:03 AM   #49
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Is there any concern with a baffle core that it will reduce flow and power at all? I am looking for a good muffle delete system that has no weird sound issues like some have encountered.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #50
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad@PSI MOTORS View Post
Is there any concern with a baffle core that it will reduce flow and power at all? I am looking for a good muffle delete system that has no weird sound issues like some have encountered.
I'm sure if you had two identical systems on a flow bench..one without the baffle and one with the baffle, you would see some flow difference if you pushed it to a very high flow/pressure. But in comparison to the flow of the factory unit or a standard performace exhaust that has a real "muffler" your still going to flow worlds better.

In comparison to existing muffler-less designs, some of them use "sound chambers" which are basically dead end flow areas where your exhaust gases are literally going to hit a wall and bounce back causing backpressure. Personally I would rather have a baffle core on a turbocharged car rather than a dead ended chamber. I think those are fine on naturally aspirated motors but I'm not a fan of that choice on a turbo charged car. Others opinions will vary so I won't argue that point, I'm just sharing our opinion on the design differences and how that might effect flow. Despite the differences though I think we're splitting hairs...all of the muffler-less designs are going to flow so much better than stock its probably not going to make a difference which one you choose. Sound chamber vs. baffle core vs. nothing...all will support power levels most folks will be looking for. Lets face it..none of them have mufflers and the differences between all of them are most likely going to be quite marginal at best.

Most folks in the end will most likey get the one they like the combined sound/look better than the other. I wouldn't sweat it too much over flow...you'll get plenty.

R.
      06-02-2010, 06:25 PM   #51
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

I agree that the dead chamber or resinator pipe is not one that I am keen on. Also I have hear several videos one posted by another vendor on here with the AFE exhaust that has that Tea kettle noise whistle. I have heared it on the Berk system as well. Sounds like a horn blowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddad View Post
I'm sure if you had two identical systems on a flow bench..one without the baffle and one with the baffle, you would see some flow difference if you pushed it to a very high flow/pressure. But in comparison to the flow of the factory unit or a standard performace exhaust that has a real "muffler" your still going to flow worlds better.

In comparison to existing muffler-less designs, some of them use "sound chambers" which are basically dead end flow areas where your exhaust gases are literally going to hit a wall and bounce back causing backpressure. Personally I would rather have a baffle core on a turbocharged car rather than a dead ended chamber. I think those are fine on naturally aspirated motors but I'm not a fan of that choice on a turbo charged car. Others opinions will vary so I won't argue that point, I'm just sharing our opinion on the design differences and how that might effect flow. Despite the differences though I think we're splitting hairs...all of the muffler-less designs are going to flow so much better than stock its probably not going to make a difference which one you choose. Sound chamber vs. baffle core vs. nothing...all will support power levels most folks will be looking for. Lets face it..none of them have mufflers and the differences between all of them are most likely going to be quite marginal at best.

Most folks in the end will most likey get the one they like the combined sound/look better than the other. I wouldn't sweat it too much over flow...you'll get plenty.

R.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 11:56 PM   #52
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I committed myself to not crying wolf again and giving updated eta's and then moving them again and again...but this time, I have a track# in hand, and Mr. UPS man will be coming by Friday(as in later today) with a 2nd day air package with the latest rendition of the Street Series. I will attempt to get it installed Friday as well. Will update with some pics and updated video once installed.

R.
      06-18-2010, 03:10 PM   #53
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Box arrived. I won't be installed till Monday...but it's here. I'll take some pics and point out the differences with this revision.

R.
      06-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #54
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Latest exhaust pics

Here's the latest revision. If you have a keen eye you'll notice the exhaust splits for the two tips much later. We enlongated the section before it so we could work in a baffle core to tune the sound a bit. I will be testing it on Monday to see if we've got rid of enough of the cabin resonance to warrant production and announce some final pricing.

06-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #55
madostrich
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i Black/Red M-Sport

I just noticed that you folks also make the whisper with carbon fibre tips.... are there any pics you can direct me too?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 09:00 PM   #56
perral1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 135i Vert DCT LMB/Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by madostrich View Post
I just noticed that you folks also make the whisper with carbon fibre tips.... are there any pics you can direct me too?
This thread has a few pics w/ the CF tips:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307003
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 11:21 PM   #57
madostrich
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perral1 View Post
This thread has a few pics w/ the CF tips:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307003
oh sweet jesus (spoken as a Muslim) I have found the light.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #58
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

any updates on those quads you are making. Also if you haven't went into design phase please let them be center exit.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2010, 11:25 PM   #59
madostrich
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin135 View Post
any updates on those quads you are making. Also if you haven't went into design phase please let them be center exit.
that would be unique....
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #60
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin135 View Post
We sent off a factory rear valence to Taiwain..getting there this week. I got a local U.S. quote to due the dual valence but the quote was well beyond what I need to make the part happen at the price I want. I won't have any other updaet(on the quad) until I get a new quote.

Back to the Street series. If you want it with carbon fiber tips that will be an option once production starts.

R.
      06-21-2010, 01:53 PM   #61
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: pokingly flush

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
wow that looks really good!!! I just want to hear it now...
      06-30-2010, 11:50 PM   #62
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just a quick update. Perfect !

That sums it up. The sound is so transformed from our first test unit its silly. What is really nuts is how great this thing sounds in the 800 - 2500 rpm range. I mention this because I know some systems have issues with the 1800-2200 range or similar, with above average droning. I'll tell you right now, you will lower your radio volume and want to troll around all day at these rpms..especially with a little load on the engine. That is the opposite of what I read in many posts with people talking about "driving around the drone range" to stay out of the bad spots. As far a muffler-less exhaust goes I cannot fathom it getting any better than this. Enhanced Street Performance in Sterling, MA. who has done all our installs was pretty amazed as well. The cruising quality and highway driving sound quality are above what I expected could be achieved without a real muffler. To be clear...its definatley loud when you want it to be. Above 3000 rpm its a different beast and will turn heads at the side of the road if you want, but if you want to just cruise around in the lower rpms you will be treated to a loppy burble more like a small block v8. I'm very impressed with the sound tuning the custom baffle core made. There is no down side to this. Basically we were able to totally dial out the drone in the lower rpm range, give a quality highway driving experience and allow you to scare the neighbors only when you want to. What more could you ask for . This would be my exhaust recommendation for those wanted to due nothing else with their exhaust setup. If your thinking downpipes and catless midpipes I'm still on board with our Whisper series. Above 3000rpm this new Street Series is actually louder than a MadDad Whisper+MadDad Midpipe combo. So I can only imagine how loud it will be with a midpipe or downpipe.

If any of you have followed our other threads on our products one thing you will always find true is that we don't exaggerate our marketing claims. We say it like it is so folks can make a good informed purchase decision. So let me say this. If your in the market for a louder, muffler-less style exhaust for your 135i, there will be positively no dissappointments with the new MadDad EuroSport Street Series. Like we did with the Whisper Series(we made 3 pre-production prototypes before we were happy) we've spent the time an money to get the product right before we sell it. They will be available in double walled polished ss, black ceramic coated(same double walled tips) and finally real carbon fiber. The only footnote I would give is that I would not recommend the carbon fiber tips if you do regular track days where you drive at sustained speeds over 100+ for extended periods of time..like 60 seconds or more. The extended overly high exhaust temps could compromise the clear coat of the carbon fiber tips. We're reinforcing them with a ceramic coated ss inner sleeve, but I'd still recommend you choose a different option if you track your car on a regular basis. I'm not talking about SCCA events working the cones, but more so race track days where your at a constant high speed for a length of time. Not trying to scare people away from the carbon fiber tips(I will be installing them on my car shortly), I just want to make sure your a good candidate for them.

I'll post before the weekend with updated sound clips of the new version and I will open a group-buy/pre-order thread in the next couple of days. We're looking at about 30-45 days before we have them shipping to customers. If you've been holding off on buying a muffler-less style exhaust...it was worth the wait.

R.
      07-01-2010, 01:47 AM   #63
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: pokingly flush

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
DROOL!!!
      07-01-2010, 02:24 AM   #64
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Nice, I'm looking forward to sound clips. This sounds like a great product.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 07:07 AM   #65
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
this is great news, ive been holding out on exhaust till this one was out

in for vids!

one favor I do ask, when you take pics of it installed, can we get pics at an angle so we see how much they will stick out. A lot of us have or will be getting aftermarket diffusers and some exhaust tend to look sunken in w/ aftermakert diffusers

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 06:39 PM   #66
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
this is great news, ive been holding out on exhaust till this one was out

in for vids!

one favor I do ask, when you take pics of it installed, can we get pics at an angle so we see how much they will stick out. A lot of us have or will be getting aftermarket diffusers and some exhaust tend to look sunken in w/ aftermakert diffusers

thanks!
I'll take some pics tomorrow..but you'll be happy. We intentionally have the tips sticking out about a .5" more than the factory exhaust. We want people to see the beefier tips.

R.