BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

Hankook Evo V12's - My First (and Final) Impressions

OK, after much second guessing, I replaced the OEM runflats with Hankook Evo v12's last week and just got back from a road trip out to the coast. Here are my observations:

There is definately a ride difference with the HK's. As a lot of people have already stated, compared to the run-flats, the ride is softer and smoother. However, you have to really pay attention to get that. It's not the extreme difference some people on the forums have talked about. (Improved? - Not sure, smoother, but see performance below)

There is a very slight tire whine with the HK's that I did not have with the OEM tires. It may just be that they are new, but it is noticable. (Improved? no, definately more noise)

As far as performance, was not much opportunity for spirited driving on this trip. I did take what curves were offered fast to check stickyness. Dry grip seemed OK, but not a noticeable improvement from the run-flates. Again it's hard to say because I really could not test it well, but handling seemed a bit more squirly. Maybe the softer side walls gave me a little more than I was used to. But I ran non-runflat Potenzas on my old S2000, so I know what good tire is supposed to feel like, this one did not give me that level of confidence. I won't pass final judgement (see below)until I get them out on a fun road, and they are broken in a little more, but this initial test has me kind of wondering.

Last edited by TMR013; 08-30-2010 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
I have them and as I've said before, I don't love them, don't hate them. They're OK and a good value, but I'll be trying something different next time.
      08-19-2010, 11:48 PM   #3
joeo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson Red 135i

Garage List
2009 BMM 135i  [9.50]
You'll get used to them. I found that ultimate grip is improved with them, but the feel of the softer sidewall reduces response. They did very well at a track day though, and I'm impressed with how well they held up wear wise.

-Joe
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 09:41 AM   #4
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Try fiddling with the tire pressures, some have reported big improvements in feel by upping them a bit...

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 11:23 AM   #5
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
Try fiddling with the tire pressures, some have reported big improvements in feel by upping them a bit...

ianc
Actually already boosted it a little, to the high speed reccomendations.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
derekL
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMDUBS

Garage List
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 128i  [6.96]
not to be noob, but what are the high speed recs? thanks!!

|Shadowline Grills|Hotchkis Front Sway Bar|DIY CF Black Fabric Trim|Carbon Fiber Trunk Spoiler|Black O.Z Ultraleggeras|BMW Performance Exhaust|M-Sport Bumpers w/ Fogs|Shadowline Diffuser|CSR Eyelids|BMW Performance Shifter/Boot and Handbrake|AFE stage 2 intake|Koni FSD + Eibach Pro-kit|///M mirrors|Blackline LCI|
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
bluesunit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: D-Stock 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekL View Post
not to be noob, but what are the high speed recs? thanks!!
Check the tire pressure tag in your drivers side door. They specify you up the pressure in the rear tires for sustained travel over 100 mph.

As for the Hankooks:

I had a set of these put on yesterday along with getting the car aligned. 235s in the front, 255 in the back, and had them take out a good portion of the rear camber out. Running 40 psi cold now.

I think it's a good balance. Car sticks better when accelerating in a straight line and is looser in a turn due to the enhanced front grip. Not really pushing them yet as I'm still breaking them in.

I like the ride . . . much cushier than those rollerskate Bridgestones that I took off.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #8
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep

Final Assesment

Got to finally take the 1er out on a fun road (to Tortilla Flats, super fun and a must for all Addicts in Phoenix). On the way up, kept DSC on and coming back went with DTC setting (don't recommend turning it off on this road unless you are really, really good).
On the way up, with the DSC on, you can really measure the tires performance since the car takes a lot of the other variables out. I decided the squirliness I noted before was due to the softer side walls, after a few turns I got used to it and it wasn't an issue. Dry grip was good, not super but definitely adequate enough to give me the confidence I needed. The way back was just plain fun, avoided most of the traffic so got a good long run in with no breaks. In DTC, the extreme corners gave me just enough slip to really get the heart racing. Once home, I inspected the tires and found no unusual wear or scuffs, so held up with no problems.
So final assessment, you won't be sorry for getting these tires. They are capable once you get used to them and an extreme bargain for the price. As ptack said above, satisfied with them, but will probably try something different next time as they don't give the same performance as a top end summer tire. But since I was looking to save a little money this time, you can't beat the HKs.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 01:05 PM   #9
135gofast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340ix

I like them on the street. Beware too soft sidewalks for autox
(probably hpde too).
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 02:06 PM   #10
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
I have these tires for 17's, so presumably even a softer sidewall than would be on 18" wheels, and I don't think I've experienced the results many keep talking about. They are definitely softer on rough roads than my RFT and maybe even the Michelin PS A/S Plus (XL load rating) I had before, but laterally I don't feel a significant difference in flex. In fact when I used the other tires at Auto-x much more of the shoulder was shredded. With the Hankook there is very little wear on the outside shoulders, and I do not feel significant flex. I think the dry grip on these tires is great on the street as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the grip was less than the Max Performance category tires (Direzza, RE11, RS3, etc), but I find the grip on the course to be quite alright. I run about 37F and 39R PSI cold, and most that complained about the tires found them much better while running slightly higher than normal pressures.

I find the grip and feel improvement miles ahead of the stock RFT, the dry grip of the tires to be great, and the complaints to be typically exaggerated. That is just my opinion.

Thanks,

Tim