BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #45
n2djazz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe (T. Silver)

I noted a faint petroleum smell yesterday but it's gone today. Just fyi should you do the dielectric grease. I couldn't really test the car out this weekend. There are too many cops on the roads due to the holiday.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 03:42 AM   #46
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

You think I should do it? I've been looking at some greases on the web, so might order up a tube.

When you say about not being able to test the car because of the cops, does that mean you're experiencing problems at high rpms/WOT?

I'm only getting issues at idle whilst stuck in traffic. I don't notice any issues when on the move. Have you noticed improved idle? Mine just gave weird thumps/throbs through the chassis whilst sat in traffic in neutral (6MT).
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #47
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

It's like a little misfire right....while you are sitting at a light right?
Happend to both my 1.8t's
No clue why its going on with this car....
But maybe it is just what it is?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #48
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Kinda, I guess - but I'm no expert and haven't ever had a car misfire, so I can't 100% say it feels like that.

Feels more like you'd expect an old V8 muscle car to be, rocking and twitching, except on a much smaller scale. (Then again, I've never driven a muscle car either.)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #49
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

Yeah like all of a sudden it turns off and turns back on.....
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #50
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shah269 View Post
Yeah like all of a sudden it turns off and turns back on.....
Nah, nothing like that. More like somebody has gone into the back of me very slowly on a motorcycle. Like a thump through the chassis, except the car doesn't move forwards or backwards (it's in neutral) and the rpm needle doesn't move either.

It's almost like the car is shivering/twitching - only every now and then.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #51
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
I have a PPK and I've had one slightly different problem. I was getting on the highway, tried to jump into the left lane and go and all of the sudden the engine started vibrating like I had dropped a cylinder. Vibration got worse if I pushed it and the engine lost power above 2,0000 rpm. The Service Engine Soon light came on so I pulled over and turned the car off. I waited about a minute and then started up - no lights, no issues. That was about a week ago and no problems since, but I haven't tried a hard pull since then. I'm taking it in Friday to have them check it out. I think I have about 1 year left on the extended warranty so better to have an issue now than later.
      05-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #52
n2djazz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
You think I should do it? I've been looking at some greases on the web, so might order up a tube.

When you say about not being able to test the car because of the cops, does that mean you're experiencing problems at high rpms/WOT?

I'm only getting issues at idle whilst stuck in traffic. I don't notice any issues when on the move. Have you noticed improved idle? Mine just gave weird thumps/throbs through the chassis whilst sat in traffic in neutral (6MT).
Hold off on your purchase until this weekend and I will let you know how it performs. I'd hate for both of us to waste our money.

The cops were out in full force this past weekend, at all hours of the night. In about a 2 mile stretch of highway, I saw like 4 cops with people pulled over for speeding. It was a Thursday night until Tuesday AM campaign for the cops. Every holiday the cops broadcast on radio and TV that they will be out in force looking for drunk drivers. I know if I would have gone WOT, I would have gotten a ticket. So I didn't chance it. This weekend should be much better.

Last edited by n2djazz; 05-28-2013 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #53
n2djazz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Nah, nothing like that. More like somebody has gone into the back of me very slowly on a motorcycle. Like a thump through the chassis, except the car doesn't move forwards or backwards (it's in neutral) and the rpm needle doesn't move either.

It's almost like the car is shivering/twitching - only every now and then.
I have noticed I don't get the occasional sputtering I used to get. i get it every once in a while which is okay by me because it's not annoying. I define once in a while as like once every 2 minutes or so. But prior to applying the dielectric grease, I was much more frequent and pronounced. Keep in mind, these coils don't make contact with the conductor on the spark plug like I am accustom to. So I got the dielectric grease because of what I read. Plus I figured it would help me get the coil closer to the plug's contact and reduce the likelihood of the spark arcing through the boot to ground because it appears more attractive than the spark plug.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 03:10 AM   #54
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Good man, I'll wait for your results. Odd that the coils don't touch the plugs though...!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #55
n2djazz
Private First Class
Rep

I have two key fobs and I've always thought one was more subdued than the other. I told my Service Advisor (SA) about this and he said they're both the same. After doing the dielectric grease application, I noticed the car idles smoother. But the acceleration still responds like turbo-lag. The bucking and slight backfire is gone so the grease definitely made a difference. Being disappointed, I remembered the difference I feel between the two fobs. So I got the other fob and it's a world of difference. Now the car is running like the car I bought. I generally change out the fobs once a month to keep them 'active.' I don't have comfort-access so there's no battery to replace.

Do you have two fobs? If so, do you notice a difference? It's like one of my fobs is set for valet mode or something. Well try the dielectric grease and let me know your results. Let me know if you have questions.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 08:07 AM   #56
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah, I have two fobs and switch them out weekly. I never considered that the fob could make any difference, but I'll give it a go and see if I notice anything.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #57
n2djazz
Private First Class
Rep

The delay is still there with the other fob. So the search continues. But I can say the grease did make a difference. Now I will buy the software for my MAC so I can look for code faults. Will let you know what I find.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 05:58 AM   #58
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2djazz View Post
The delay is still there with the other fob. So the search continues. But I can say the grease did make a difference. Now I will buy the software for my MAC so I can look for code faults. Will let you know what I find.
Good stuff. When I thought about this the other day, I realised that my car isn't doing it as violently as before. It was worst after the spark plug change - so it definitely appears to be something around the ignition area.

I'll try the dielectric grease and see if it helps. Costs a bloomin' fortune though. What's it made from? Unicorn tears?!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #59
n2djazz
Private First Class
Rep

You don't need too much. You should be able to get a tube at an auto parts store. Permatex is the brand I got.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #60
n2djazz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Good stuff. When I thought about this the other day, I realised that my car isn't doing it as violently as before. It was worst after the spark plug change - so it definitely appears to be something around the ignition area.

I'll try the dielectric grease and see if it helps. Costs a bloomin' fortune though. What's it made from? Unicorn tears?!
http://www.powersports**********/par...FUtk7Aod-QUAPQ
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 06:11 AM   #61
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for that - link doesn't work though. Think I've found some, it's just quite expensive for such a tiny tube.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #62
n2djazz
Private First Class
Rep

Try this link from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Versachem-1530...rk+plug+grease

So I have some news. Keep in mind, I am trying things that I think makes sense. My problem has always been erratic. Sometimes it runs well and other times I have a problem. But it has been more problematic than not.

After changing the plugs and adding the grease to the coil and plugs, everything was corrected except that darn delayed throttle response. I couldn't get past it. I started thinking about it and trying to connect the dots between the delay and the ever so slight jerkiness I feel occasionally at highway speeds. And I thought this could be as simple as a throttle problem. So today I decided to remove and reinstall my accelerator pedal. Just to disconnect it from the 'circuit.' There's one hex head bolt holding it to the floor. I removed the decorative cap over the bolt, removed the bolt, slid the assembly upwards to clear the mounting claw and disconnected the cable. I checked all around the assembly to make sure no debris had gotten inside affecting its performance. After all, it's nothing but a sophisticated volume control. I put it all back and went for a ride. I swear it was a different car. It ran like a bat out of hell. I just felt the throttle response was super sensitive...like a BMW should be. It's as if the throttle mechanism needed to be rebooted (like the computer that it is.) So that's a no-cost thing you can try to see how it works for you. Meanwhile, I will be monitoring it throughout the weekend. I'll let you know how it fares.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #63
n2djazz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
I have a PPK and I've had one slightly different problem. I was getting on the highway, tried to jump into the left lane and go and all of the sudden the engine started vibrating like I had dropped a cylinder. Vibration got worse if I pushed it and the engine lost power above 2,0000 rpm. The Service Engine Soon light came on so I pulled over and turned the car off. I waited about a minute and then started up - no lights, no issues. That was about a week ago and no problems since, but I haven't tried a hard pull since then. I'm taking it in Friday to have them check it out. I think I have about 1 year left on the extended warranty so better to have an issue now than later.
Did you get a half-power warning too? Sounds like a HPFP issue. I've been down that road about 30K miles ago. Let us know if you get it repaired...as well as the root cause.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 05:35 AM   #64
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

With regards to the throttle, I presume you didn't switch the car on at all (even just ignition on without the engine running) when you disconnected it?

I just don't want to throw any shadow codes that BMW might then use against me...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #65
n2djazz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
With regards to the throttle, I presume you didn't switch the car on at all (even just ignition on without the engine running) when you disconnected it?

I just don't want to throw any shadow codes that BMW might then use against me...
Correct. I did not even put the fob in the slot. I removed the gas pedal, looked it over real good, shook it to make sure there was no debris inside, worked it a couple times then put it back. After I got it installed, I went for a drive and loved how the car responded.

I took it to work today and it still felt good. I hope this is it. I hope removing and reinstalling the pedal clears something out in the computer.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #66
n2djazz
Private First Class
Rep

Just to be clear, the ignition was off and engine cold when I removed the pedal.
Appreciate 0