BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-17-2018, 05:33 PM   #1
ITSSTI
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

JWL or VIA Certs...

So I know this has been covered before, and I've been doing some pretty heavy research regarding the topic, but I have to find the answer to one question...requirement of JWL/VIA Stamps. Here's what I do know...

- JWL Testing is a standard set by the MLIT in Japan, testing can be done in house, and markings "should" be placed where easily seen.

- VIA Testing is a standard set by "The Council" and is voluntary. All testing must be done at a 3rd Party location, and again "may" be marked where easily seen.

- If the manufacturer decides to mark the wheels, the markings MUST be placed on the front of the wheel and easily seen. 9/10 times, a stamp will be on either side of the Valve Stem

- It is Illegal to mark a wheel with VIA Markings if it is not registered with "The Council". VIA is a Trademark, and therefor using it without permission is illegal.

I know there is a lot more info, but not certain it's pertinent, which leads me to my question...

Are these markings required in the US?

I only want to spend my money on real wheels (ie Volk, Advan etc...). I know Apex wheels are JWL and VIA Certified, but the style isn't my favorite, not to mention EVERY OTHER 1 Series is running them. Volks or the like would be 3-7 Month wait due to sizing restrictions of the 1 series...

So, I'm currently debating a set of "Made to order" forged wheels, which claim to be JWL and VIA Certified, but do not display the markings. The reasoning being "lack of clutter" on the face of the wheel, as the markings are not required in the US. They said they could engrave the JWL and VIA per request, but is that fishy?

Lengthy post I know, but I wasn't sure how to summarize it better. Does anyone have any input? Am i being neurotic? Thanks in advance!!
Appreciate 0