BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #23
Pangloss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Convertible

I ran a couple googles and it sounds like the GPS/NAV system may cover time sync on Hondas/Acuras, and it's programmed in, not synced with the Internet (oh well). And apparently it's been a problem whenever the dates were changed (in other words, the car changed on the wrong date). This obvious flaw may tell us why BMW (and most other manufacturers?) haven't followed it.

3G/4G Internet sync is the ultimate answer, of course, with cars syncing to Internet time servers just like computers. I'm amazed this hasn't happened already, but of course the auto industry always lags behind. Most of the current crop of cars were designed when 3G was called "cellular", and you accessed with a PCMCIA card and a laptop.
      11-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #24
Sinister Crayon
floccinaucinihilipilifica tion
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I've had 2 software updates on my 135i in a little over 2yrs.
Modern car computers get updates much more often than changes to the daylight saving time schedule.
I would say that the very fact that you're on this forum means you're not the average driver I'm referring to. I know people who've owned 3, 5 and 7 series cars for years that have never seen the inside of a dealer let alone gotten a firmware update. This is far more common than the owner who actually takes his car in for service at the dealer.

Yes, the covered maintenance on BMW's has done much to bring this service back to the dealer, but I know plenty of people who would rather go to an indy for all their services.

Still, I think my point is valid. As Pangloss mentioned the DST updates in recent years have been problematic with a number of cars that were programmed to change automatically. And bear in mind also that we're dealing with changes that occur worldwide, not just in the USA. And as mentioned there are some states that override the federal guidance... yeah it gets sticky as hell really quickly. Better to have a reliable dynamic update system that doesn't rely on the dealers than have your customers all up in arms about it. That's coming, but it's not really there yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #25
jbinbi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

Having a honda as well, it is a nice feature. Simple to do, and yes, it won't work 100% for everyone. Cars for the US get a rom that says on the last sun of oct at 2am set the clock back an hour. For the few states that don't conform to dst, ok, owners have to set it again. As a response to my OP, not really a big deal. And our honda is 2007, which has setting for the wrong sat, it is now the first sun morn in Nov. So for a week, my clock is an hour off. In a week, it will be correct.

Before the internet, I always wondered why we didn't broadcast a time signal modulated on top of the 60hz electrical. Everything that plugs into the wall that has a clock could have a circuit to demod this info. Must be hundreds of millions a year, this circuit would add almost nothing to the cost, and EVERYTHING would have the correct time...

As above posters say, a connection to the internet should take of this. I don't have gps in my bmw, but i understand in the new ones, they can connect to internet to get google maps. (assuming they connect thru your phone via btooth). If this is the case, then your clock could be updated thru NIST servers.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #26
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Personally, I think it would be worse to have a clock that was wrong for two weeks out of every year or that didn't adapt to certain time zones properly. It becomes a case of a supposed time-saver actually being more inconvenient than the problem it is attempting to solve.
      11-17-2011, 02:35 PM   #27
mike06612
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 convertible

Oh, the clock knows, it's just sitting there mocking you because you can't change the time.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #28
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post

Before the internet, I always wondered why we didn't broadcast a time signal modulated on top of the 60hz electrical. Everything that plugs into the wall that has a clock could have a circuit to demod this info. Must be hundreds of millions a year, this circuit would add almost nothing to the cost, and EVERYTHING would have the correct time...
Yeah but the electrical company would charge everyone $5 per home per month.you dont think they would do it for free (?) Why do you think we dont have internet connections through the electrical lines? In Illinois it's ComEd. Well, in addition to the Ham Radio operators.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 01:15 AM   #29
Pangloss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Convertible

Ultimately the reason we never had clock sync in cars is that consumers didn't know it could be done. Modern consumer electronics and the computer industry woke everyone up to the idea of demanding cool features. It's been 35+ years now, but the auto industry is still mulling over the idea of an intelligent consumer.
      11-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #30
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

It is unfortunate that the vast majority of BMW owners bought the car to impress and not because of the performance and other characteristics. Therefore, don't really know how to deal with the cars.

These are the same people who have difficulty dressing themselves in the morning.

Oh well....the struggle with mediocrity will continue...if only Darwin would work a little faster....
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 08:51 AM   #31
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
That raises another interesting question. Does the OP's 2004/07 Honda (is this one car?) automatically change the time when moving from one time zone to another? Does it allow for the Newfoundland time zone with it's 1/2 hour variance from Atlantic time?

Tom
I have a Honda with GPS that does change the time when you drive across different time zones. It is not perfect but it is close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Personally, I think it would be worse to have a clock that was wrong for two weeks out of every year or that didn't adapt to certain time zones properly. It becomes a case of a supposed time-saver actually being more inconvenient than the problem it is attempting to solve.
That is definitely a problem twice a year. When you do 'spring forward' and 'fall back'. I assume the newer cars will get the days right. The good thing is you never have to set the time for the rest of the year.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 09:37 AM   #32
jbinbi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangloss View Post
Ultimately the reason we never had clock sync in cars is that consumers didn't know it could be done. Modern consumer electronics and the computer industry woke everyone up to the idea of demanding cool features. It's been 35+ years now, but the auto industry is still mulling over the idea of an intelligent consumer.
You hit the nail on the head! Its too bad because new cars have like 20 microprocessor's in them for various driving functions. Personally, I think the asian car manufacs are ahead when it comes to electronics, but that maybe is from their culture. It is amazing what is over in tokyo and seoul vs. what is here in America when it comes to electronic gadgets. We are a generation (in electronics that is about 18 months;-) behind in getting cameras/music players/phones/ etc. The consumers there expect more, and therefore I think the car manufacturers there are more on the ball.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 12:12 PM   #33
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
I think the asian car manufacs are ahead when it comes to electronics, but that maybe is from their culture..
I would modify this to be "...are ahead when it comes to electronic gadgets...". The Germans are ahead when it comes to vehicle electronics for distributed bus-based systems and engine management. A bit like the difference between Windows and Linux - the Japanese car electronic systems can be likened more to Windows, the Germans likened more to Linux.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #34
alvitdk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
OP the reason why the Germans don't have a cpu do this for you is bc they ASSUME the driver's of thier cars have some smarts. . That is always not the case though - espcially in the American market.
Well I am German, living in the states. One reason for leaving this crappy country is people making those comments and feeling superior over the rest of the world. C'mon, could you be a bit less arogant
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 10:51 PM   #35
jbinbi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The Germans/Europeans do DST. We change our time/clocks/uhr - two weeks before you guys do in Fall and Spring. lol

OP the reason why the Germans don't have a cpu do this for you is bc they ASSUME the driver's of thier cars have some smarts. That is always not the case though - espcially in the American market. It literally takes like 15 secs to scroll thru the BC thumb drive and change the time or date. No biggie.
Partially agree. i distribute German products in north america, and there is a cultural diff. They assume we actually will read the manual before use, and if we have a problem look it up (this is a generalization). I half jokingly tell them that we are not so smart and we are lazy and we want things to happen without work.

and even though i consider myself a hardworking intelligent person, with an advanced degree in 2 science disciplines, and know computers inside and out, I am writing this thread because i don't want to dig out the manual, look up how to set the clock and do it, even though it will take all of 60 seconds. (if I was a super enthusiast playing with the computer all the time, it would happen off the top off my head, but truthfully, i only play with the computer 2x a year to do this and don't remember the sequence.)

I purchased this car to experience the pleasure of driving it in nice weather, and as someone who used to design cpus, it bothers me that the car can do it for you, as my honda does, but it doesn't.

end beating this subject to death//
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #36
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I don't get it. Whenever I buy a new car or anything else for that matter I always read the entire manual.

Usually within a few days of the purchase I'll pour myself a Scotch and sit down and read.

People are just plain lazy..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 11:48 AM   #37
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

AAaaaah ... the times... they are a changin'...

Bob Dylan
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 12:04 PM   #38
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

I for one wish my car did less for me. I don't mind changing the clock myself, if it was tied into a date feature trying to figure things out for itself it'd probably be one more problem to deal with down the road if / when it fails. Don't get me wrong, my car coddles me in all sorts of ways I appreciate, but there are some things it could do less of. Not knowing that it's DST doesn't bother me one bit.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 07:59 AM   #39
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
you shouldnt have speced iDrive.

On normal cars we have a little button on our radio display that you press to change the clock setting
Where is said button? I actually used the BC method to adjust the time when DST ended. And OP, with two advanced degrees and in-depth computer knowledge, how is it that you can't figure out how to work the BC? It's super easy and despite not having read the owner's manual for over a year now, I still know how to access/change everything. I mean, there's a picture of a clock. Can't get any easier than that.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 08:08 AM   #40
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
Where is said button? I actually used the BC method to adjust the time when DST ended. And OP, with two advanced degrees and in-depth computer knowledge, how is it that you can't figure out how to work the BC? It's super easy and despite not having read the owner's manual for over a year now, I still know how to access/change everything. I mean, there's a picture of a clock. Can't get any easier than that.
idk actually. I didnt change my DST and 2 days later my GF got incensed by the whole thing and did something with that little clock button in the lower right.

Shes done that 5 more times since we met. Its why ill never break up with her. My car will be stuck in DST year round!

So long story short. I have no idea how it works, I just know it does!

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 08:21 AM   #41
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
idk actually. I didnt change my DST and 2 days later my GF got incensed by the whole thing and did something with that little clock button in the lower right.

Shes done that 5 more times since we met. Its why ill never break up with her. My car will be stuck in DST year round!

So long story short. I have no idea how it works, I just know it does!
Older BMWs' clock was set using the button sticking out from the instrument cluster.

New ones are done via the BC.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #42
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by e34m5 View Post
Older BMWs' clock was set using the button sticking out from the instrument cluster.

New ones are done via the BC.
My 2000 is set by pushing and turning the center of the manual clock. No silly led lights, just a nice, simple VDO clock.
Appreciate 0