BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-09-2021, 07:14 PM   #1
1sunday
Rep
Drives: 2018 530i M Sport

135i for a high schooler?

Hey there forum members.

Currently I am a junior in high school and have always had a passion for cars. I received my license a few months ago and have been slowly planning for what car I would like to get for the years I have ahead.

As you can already tell since I'm posting on this forum, I've been in love with the 135i for months now and am really leaning towards that direction. I've been thinking about purchasing an N55 135i or 135is, as I would be able to work on them and do mods/tunes fairly easily for them as my first car.

I plan on working more so hands on with this car if I were to get it rather than taking it to a dealer/shop for most of the maintenance. I know some people might argue that a 300 hp coupe as my first car is too much for a teenager, especially since I plan on FBO and a tune in the future, but for now until I purchase my first car, I have been driving my parents g30, which I would consider somewhat quick and so far I haven't had any trouble or problems with this car.

I also don't really push the car to the limits in fear of getting a ticket/crash as I would definitely get my license revoked by my parents. Would a 135i be a fine car for me? This would also happen by next year, as I'm waiting for the car market to cool down as the prices are fairly crazy right now. Especially if I were to try to find a manual one.

Last edited by 1sunday; 10-09-2021 at 07:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 11:11 PM   #2
Thunderguts
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

That's a tough question. My first car was a 280Z which was a fast car for its day and I did way too much crazy shit in that car. With FBO, you could be looking at a 450hp car which is pretty nuts. The very fact that you recognize that it's a lot of car for a young driver indicates that you might be responsible.

I would leave it relatively stock for a while until you get familiar with it. The stock power is way more than enough and you can work on your driving skills as you grow into the power. A few HPDE classes would be a great idea. You could work on the suspension first and leave the power upgrades for later.

As for maintenance, make sure you have money set aside for repairs. That car will cost you a lot to keep on the road. Buying the car is one thing, but maintaining it is another matter. I can't even imagine what your insurance will be, but just know one major infraction will send it skyrocketing, if they don't drop you altogether.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 2
      10-10-2021, 12:48 AM   #3
1sunday
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
That's a tough question. My first car was a 280Z which was a fast car for its day and I did way too much crazy shit in that car. With FBO, you could be looking at a 450hp car which is pretty nuts. The very fact that you recognize that it's a lot of car for a young driver indicates that you might be responsible.

I would leave it relatively stock for a while until you get familiar with it. The stock power is way more than enough and you can work on your driving skills as you grow into the power. A few HPDE classes would be a great idea. You could work on the suspension first and leave the power upgrades for later.

As for maintenance, make sure you have money set aside for repairs. That car will cost you a lot to keep on the road. Buying the car is one thing, but maintaining it is another matter. I can't even imagine what your insurance will be, but just know one major infraction will send it skyrocketing, if they don't drop you altogether.
I like your idea of leaving it stock until I get a feel for it and have a smooth handle of it overall. I most likely won't have enough money for tunes and such right after getting one so I will probably have it stock for a couple months up until then. HPDE classes sound like a great idea, as I plan on getting into autocross and maybe even a few trackdays if I can find organized events around me.

Also with the insurance, my parents insurance has already doubled when they added me as a new driver and when the insurance company sees I'm driving a coupe sporty bmw I don't think it'll be decreasing by much. I believe if I keep a clean record for the next 6-8 months, I'll be on an alright pace to add the 135i and considering it'll most likely be 7-10 years old it'll definitely be cheaper than the 530i to insure I think.

One question, a friend was telling me about how the transmission on 135i's tend to suck, and that I'd need a trans tune off the bat. Is this true or not exactly? I appreciate your inputs and response.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 08:55 AM   #4
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

I'd consider stick not auto, learn to drive one and really be engaged with the car itself, it's a big part of the fun.

And a 128i as well. Still lots of power and fun and less costly to maintain and repair. Less expensive to buy as well / you'll probably get a better car (lower mileage / better shape) for your money.
Appreciate 1
Almuliman483.50
      10-10-2021, 09:02 AM   #5
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Had a 21-year-old order a new M240xi from me about three-weeks ago. Once I had the allocation and got ready to modify it to his specs, I called him only to have him say he just found out his insurance on the car was going to be $500/month until he turned 25. He backed out. Not that it mattered to me as we had plenty of back-up orders in line.

So, you may want to check on what your insurance costs, unless money doesn't matter.

Working on it yourself is obviously easier if you choose a 128i over a 135i. And I have to ask if you've followed pricing on the 135is models recently? It's almost more fun to drive a slower car fast. And at half the price . . .
Appreciate 2
      10-10-2021, 09:29 AM   #6
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Assuming you're buying this car outright, you can lower the cost by taking out collision coverage.

I also agree with the idea of getting a 128i. Overall cheaper to insure, cheaper to buy, and less complicated to work on than the 135i. Because, I doubt this is going to be the last car you'll end up buying. Plus, the extra money you save, you can drop into driving classes and track time which will yield a lot more than throwing mods onto a car where you can't even tap into any of that horsepower due to lack of skill.
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2021, 12:05 PM   #7
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Far too much car for a new driver. Better a 128. Ever had a driving school with an instructor? And, if you do something stupid, like an at fault accident, you'll be screwed insurance wise until you're 25 so like 8 or 9 years.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 12:22 PM   #8
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
I miss a forum member chrisflies(don't remember spelling) who sold his car about a year ago, the youthful exuberance of a high school'r-college age exploring and tweaking to his tastes his 128 e82 1'r. If you or parent can insure the car and you live the learning curve of the Baby Bim'r all the while sharing & contributing to the knowledge base available here. Making mistakes but learning while having fun, seems perfect. I give my blessing.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 01:50 PM   #9
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

135i is awesome. Just be careful with throttle in the rain. One mistake can cost you a trip to the town court, a crash or worse.
With buying a 7-10 year old car, even it being an N55, set aside money for repairs and maintenance and learn to do your own work since you have the time.

It would be worthwhile to do a season of HPDE and autocross. And if you plan to keep it for many years, just wait until your are into your twenties to really go balls to the wall with having fun and tuning. Spend the time learning the car and working on it early on.

I bought my '12 128i when I was 23, nine years later it has become more enjoyable now than when I bought it new. Autocross in the wet and dry really taught me a lot on the body movements of the car at turning limits.
      10-10-2021, 03:36 PM   #10
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

I think if I had my 135i in high school I might not be her now.
I would definitely had a lot more speeding tickets!
      10-11-2021, 01:36 AM   #11
1sunday
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
Far too much car for a new driver. Better a 128. Ever had a driving school with an instructor? And, if you do something stupid, like an at fault accident, you'll be screwed insurance wise until you're 25 so like 8 or 9 years.
I completely understand your opinion as male teenagers are in the biggest risk category for driving and are the reason why my insurance is as high as it is given my age. However, this would be 6-8 months down the line, in which I would have close to a year of driving experiennce almost. Given that time frame and if I happen to drive responsibly and not get any citations until then, do you still think it would be too much car for me? I definitely plan on taking HPDE and other classes to improve my driving skills and also be able to separate driving in an actual performance setting on a track/event than in the streets, so I am able to enjoy my car and get the fun out of my system in the right (legal) ways.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 03:10 AM   #12
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

I can tell you when I was a new driver, I certainly didn't have the self control that I have now.

I just bought my kid a 2018 Honda Civic with the base engine. Even with that you can get into trouble if you don't know what you are doing.

As a father, my opinion is a 300hp RWD car is too much for a teenager.

But you are not my kid, so YMMV.

If you really want to learn car control and wrenching, I would suggest an older Miata.
Appreciate 2
      10-11-2021, 03:27 AM   #13
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Forgot to add.

It is true it could be more fun driving a slow car fast. I had a 135. A NA engine will probably teach you more on how to make good use of the power band than a turbo car IMO.

I had these two together also. On the street, Miata is more fun without breaking the law.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Lucky1647.00
      10-11-2021, 10:30 AM   #14
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

If you're responsible, you'll be ok. I had fast cars shortly after getting my license, which now feels like forever ago.

You do not need to modify the car. You will need years behind the wheel to be a better driver than even a stock 135i.

If you chuckle under your breath at thinking you are a great driver and above the capabilities of a 135, sign up for a HPDE event and get humbled. You will get passed by Miatas like you're standing still. I'm saying this so you don't just chase power thinking it will make you better. Anyone can put their foot down and compensate lap times with more HP. The delta also isn't what you think. I run a track spec 128i and keep up with cars with much more power.

You would be significantly better off with suspension, safe and new tires, and seat time than going FBO. The speed limits don't go any higher when your car becomes faster. You will just get pulled over sooner.

What I'm saying comes from experience. I always thought more power was the answer. It's not. I used to run my E9x M3s on track and get passed by Spec Boxsters. You quickly understand that the tune, test pipes, lightweight exhaust, track wheels, etc is a joke when a car with less than half the HP is not only on your ass but can pass you.

All that said, the 1 series platform is a ton of fun. It's a great size, shares a lot with the E9x chassis, and depending on where you live it can be a rare sight to see one. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 11:07 AM   #15
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sunday View Post
I completely understand your opinion as male teenagers are in the biggest risk category for driving and are the reason why my insurance is as high as it is given my age. However, this would be 6-8 months down the line, in which I would have close to a year of driving experience almost. Given that time frame and if I happen to drive responsibly and not get any citations until then, do you still think it would be too much car for me? I definitely plan on taking HPDE and other classes to improve my driving skills and also be able to separate driving in an actual performance setting on a track/event than in the streets, so I am able to enjoy my car and get the fun out of my system in the right (legal) ways.
Very mature thinking but there is no way from getting away from the fact that a slow car driven fast is more fun than a fast car driven slow. See what dtwyin says, his Miata is more fun than his Porsche 911.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 11:30 AM   #16
Dieselboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Prices aren't coming down, especially if you're searching for a manual. Maybe you can get an e82 NFT and some digital real-estate.

Instagram: ///TheAxisGarage

If you ride like lightning, you're gonna crash like thunder.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 01:41 PM   #17
Mein11
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911, Chevy Colorado

Older used car out of warranty, who is going to foot the bill when repairs need to be made? Are you (or do you have family members) handy enough to do general repairs? Standard things like brakes are easy, but others can be a little tricky.

I'd honestly say go with a 128i, as everyone else said, easier to work on (did valve cover gasket & starter in apartment parking lot), insurance would be less, easier to stay out of trouble but still a fun nimble car to whip around. Mine had 220k miles on it before turning it in, aside from the valve cover gasket and starter motor, all it ever needed were brakes, tires, and a battery. Absolutely fantastic car.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 02:36 PM   #18
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

If you're a HS kid, who's going to fix your 135i when it breaks, and trust me it will?
If you have the skills and/or desire to learn great.
But if you or someone you know doesn't know what they're doing then paying someone to fix it will cost a lot more than the average HS kid can afford.
I'm a grown adult with a degree and a good job and mine still breaks the bank.

A 128i is probably a better selection on several fronts; fewer repair and more reasonable power.
      10-11-2021, 03:03 PM   #19
08SlowE82
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e82 128i

135i as a first car? would recommend getting a Honda and learning the basics of mechanics on that car first. As a few members wisely mentioned the cost of repairs and maintenance for these cars can get costly. Additionally buying a used one there is just a lot of "piece of mind" cost/ maintenance that will be required.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 05:52 PM   #20
1sunday
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm3 View Post
If you're a HS kid, who's going to fix your 135i when it breaks, and trust me it will?
If you have the skills and/or desire to learn great.
But if you or someone you know doesn't know what they're doing then paying someone to fix it will cost a lot more than the average HS kid can afford.
I'm a grown adult with a degree and a good job and mine still breaks the bank.

A 128i is probably a better selection on several fronts; fewer repair and more reasonable power.
I happen to be pretty fortunate in the sense that I have many friends/family that are into cars nearby and know 10x more about the inside and outside of cars than I do. My school also has an auto shop so I have the availability for a free lift to use whenever needed. I don't think I will be in much trouble with fixing it up constantly as I'm destined to learn more and more about my car and working hands-on, and I also have knowledgeable people around me always willing to help. I have been looking at 128i's as well and am honestly considering one mostly because of insurance. Thanks for the recommendation and advice!
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2021, 05:57 PM   #21
1sunday
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselboy View Post
Prices aren't coming down, especially if you're searching for a manual. Maybe you can get an e82 NFT and some digital real-estate.
I've actually been browsing for quite a bit now and I've seen some absolute steals pass by. I definitely think I'll be able to find a 6mt with decent miles under 18k with some hope. If I happen to save some money as well, I'll be sure to purchase both of us some e82 NFT's
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 09:18 PM   #22
1sunday
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mein11 View Post
Older used car out of warranty, who is going to foot the bill when repairs need to be made? Are you (or do you have family members) handy enough to do general repairs? Standard things like brakes are easy, but others can be a little tricky.

I'd honestly say go with a 128i, as everyone else said, easier to work on (did valve cover gasket & starter in apartment parking lot), insurance would be less, easier to stay out of trouble but still a fun nimble car to whip around. Mine had 220k miles on it before turning it in, aside from the valve cover gasket and starter motor, all it ever needed were brakes, tires, and a battery. Absolutely fantastic car.
Thanks for the advice, I'm slowly looking at 128i's more and more by the minute. That's pretty amazing that maintenance was that low for you and it managed to run for so long. Question though, what if I were to get a 135i with 50-70k miles and purchase a type of warranty that would benefit me until around the 100k mile mark?

I've been reading about the maintenance schedules somewhat and it seems that there is a bump right before 100k in which most people change a lot of things and after that it becomes solid for another 20-30k miles or so. Would getting the warranty not be such a bad idea? (although I'm realizing getting a 128i would cut the cost down dramatically in the first place)
Appreciate 0