BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #23
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

I really enjoyed the part where people got called out for not accurately diagnosing the issue based on smell via the internet.

It's probably the clutch, OP, as has been stated. You should definitely just buy a new car.

Is this real life?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #24
bluecat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaMind View Post
I really enjoyed the part where people got called out for not accurately diagnosing the issue based on smell via the internet.

It's probably the clutch, OP, as has been stated. You should definitely just buy a new car.

Is this real life?
my thoughts exactly.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #25
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
First, calm down.

Second, don't chide people for trying to help you, and worse, make fun of a BMW forum. Making statements like you should be on a Dodge or Ford forum for technical help won't get you a favorable following.

Now, on to your issue.
You already gave the answer when you said your brother started a few times in 3rd gear. 3rd gear in the NA 3.0 engine is NOT the way to drive.
Your engine does not have the kind of torque needed to take off from a standstill in 3rd gear. So, your brother had to use some throttle and clutch feathering to get the car moving. He glazed the clutch that's all.
He didn't break anything, but now the clutch needs to recover and get the glazing off so that it can get back to where it was.

TO do this just drive it normally for a few days. Start in 1st gear, DO NOT feather the clutch. Raise your rpm to where you need and release the clutch normally. As you drive shift to the next gear by releasing the clutch quickly, no feathering or riding at all.
Over time the glazing will wear off. It depends on how many miles you drive a day and how badly the clutch glazed.
There are some other techniques you can try to get the glaze off, but I don't think you should try them as it requires some high rpm and feathering, but if done incorrectly you could make the situation worse.
Don't worry about your drive train for the long haul. It is just fine. Glazing a clutch is not that major of an issue, and he didn't do anything to compromise your engine or the rest of the drive train. The only thing "abused" was the clutch, which will resolve over time. It doesn't sound like there was any shock to the drive train, so don't worry about that.

Glazing is very much like glazing a brake. When hot, if you feather the clutch, then you are creating a lot of friction between the clutch and flywheel. Normally, this extended friction occurs in 1st gear on take off and should not occur on subsequent shifts. So, as he was taking off in 3rd gear the clutch was rubbing the flywheel and leaving behind clutch material, that's the glazing.

Again, it will wear off, just drive normally. If it's still there after a week of driving, you may have to go to a trans shop and have the glazing removed. But, I doubt you'll need that at all.
It'll be fine. Just drive it.
This ^^^^^^ + 1 Couldnt have been said better...

( and believe it or not a plastic bag on the exhaust is VERY common for BMW's for some reason.. low hanging exhaust?? who knows.. just that it happens alot. )
      04-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #26
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1andonly View Post
My brother didnt do it on purpose but apparently he did sonething to make the car stink to high heaven like burning clutch, with me in the passenger seat.
I vote for driving with the e-brake on as tyhe cause. I did it by mistake in a Yaris once, and that's how I knew. The smell. If he was unfamiliar with the car, andf nervous with you in the passenger seat, it could easily have slipped his mind; and with the power of the 135 even with the e-brake on it probably driove like his car LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #27
artar
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 MR E92 M3; 08 SGM 135i Vert

Quote:
no offense, and I appreciate at least you took the time to respond. But Im shocked that Im on a car forum with people that should know a lot about cars and the only response I got was check for a plastic bag!? Maybe this is a technical question better asked on a Dodge or Ford forum?

shaking head....

lemme make the question a little easier. IF it was my clutch burning, how bad is that overall for the clutch and drivetrain? Thanks
I had this happen many years ago on my VW Scirocco - scared the crap out of me when I stopped at a red light and smoke was billowing out from under the car. Smelled like burning wire insulation...turned out it was a newspaper bag that had caught on my cat below the car.

>>> sometimes the simplest answer is easily overlooked.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 02:33 AM   #28
135iguy10
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i 2010 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamousdrew
Well excuse me for fu*king helping you.

Go back to your Ford forum then.

I have 5 friends that are techs at local dealerships....3 BMW and 2 Merc.
All of them have run into this and 9 out of 10 times the customer has some sort of plastic stuck to a piece of the exhaust system.
They scrape it off, burn off the residual residue and the smell goes away.

Now if its not something simple and you should get your car checked by the dealer as soon as possible.
Im a DIY kinda guy and wont take my car in for anything unless its covered under warranty.
However something that could potential kill you (ie car catching fire), I would let them figure it out.
This dudes first mistake was buying a 128i ...second...mentioning ford and BMW in the same sentence is a crime.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 03:08 AM   #29
sparkyblue
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i & F80 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
My guess is that it is the exhaust. I had my axle-back replaced at 45k, and noticed a odd smell coming from my car. Its probably your exhaust breaking in still considering your car has such few miles on it.

Especially when taking it for a spirited drive, it will amplify the smell.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 06:46 AM   #30
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Sometimes I get carried away on my commute home at the end of the day. When I park in the garage and walk around the back of the car, I generally smell hot brakes. This does not happen because I am slamming on the brakes. I believe it happens because when I drive agressively with the DCT engaged, the brakes are applied automatically and frequently to keep me from sliding my ass all over the road and into the ditch or oncoming traffic.

If you bro was driving aggressively he might have burned some clutch and/or heated up the brakes.
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 06:02 AM   #31
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I think it may be the clutch. Our cars have a clutch delay valve (CDV) which slowly engages the clutch to be smother on the drivetrain. Spirited driving without a CDV will glaze the clutch disc and smell. The first thing I do when I get a new BMW is buy a modified CDV valve. On the 135i there is a clip to remove the restrictor and you do not have to buy a modified valve. If you are not a DIY person you can go to an independent mechanic to have it removed. Even if the clutch is not the cause get rid of the CDV ASAP, shifts will be much smother.

Quote:
no offense, and I appreciate at least you took the time to respond. But Im shocked that Im on a car forum with people that should know a lot about cars and the only response I got was check for a plastic bag!? Maybe this is a technical question better asked on a Dodge or Ford forum?

shaking head....

lemme make the question a little easier. IF it was my clutch burning, how bad is that overall for the clutch and drivetrain? Thanks
You are describing and electrical smell and talking about a clutch smell as well. I think that threw some people off so I do not think the people on the forum should be fully at fault for not diagnosing your problem. I would bet if you ask the same question on the Ford or Dodge forum changing BMW to Ford/Dodge you would not get any better response. I assume it is not electrical or you would have got a dash light. Our cars even know when a bulb fails so a wire burning up would most like cause a dash light to come on.

Someone needs to invent a scratch and sniff for the internet!
      04-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #32
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Hey, I smell smoke in my house. Will it burn down? That's all I want to know. Come on you guys. If you can't tell me, I'm gonna go ask someone else!
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #33
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Whiskey bottles and brand new cars.... oak tree your in my way...there's too much smoke and... too much coke.... look what going on inside you............... yeah you...oooooh that smell... can't cha smell that smell.....
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #34
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotsa Stuff

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #35
wyekeith
Registered
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

hey guys,,, had a bad night yesterday as there was a mechanical sound coming from my car and smells like burning engine or transmission... something must have f$##ked up.... currently my 2007 335i automatic has been moded up to 600bhp on wheels... got the piston done with cp pistons... upgraded the turbo... snow meth...V5 chip.... etc etc... any ideas bro ? well garage had oil leaking from mid section while i drove out yeaterday
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #36
Andrewcoja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i MSport

After I went and got wings last night, my car smells like wings today. Is this a possible warranty issue?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 11:58 PM   #37
Adam135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcoja View Post
After I went and got wings last night, my car smells like wings today. Is this a possible warranty issue?
Depends.. ranch or blue cheese dipping sauce?
Appreciate 0