BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #67
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Only just seen this thread now... That's a sensational time Edwin! Well done. Great to see the JB cars in the 11s, makes me want to get my car back out there and run again. I was never content with my 12.1 as all my launches were 2.0+ on 19 inch wheels which are all show

Edwin I think you must have the quickest vert in the world? Also, you'd be running mid 11's if you had a coupe! Very quick mate

Looks like you have the 60ft down, need too make more power now!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #68
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Justin - what was wrong with the HPF "Feramic" Stage 2 setup that was in your car?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #69
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@ADVAN Performance View Post
Hey guys,

Kenny is correct in that I did not make it out to the track on Wednesday night, as I had a prior engagement.

I am more than happy to let "young" Chris do the pedalling in my 1'er.
Why not drive the car yourself??

Quote:
However when Kenny said Chris was "doing some testing passes" in my car, he was being polite to say the least...
Kenny can sure give you some great advice on how to race your car at the drags. If you like I'll have a chat to him and see if he'll hold your hand.

Quote:
To be honest it was a mistake on our part to run the car, with the OE clutch plate and the ACT Street pressure plate that is installed as a temporary measure, following the disaster we had with the HPF "Feramic" Stage 2 setup that was in my car.

The ACT pressure plate has been "dragging" the friction plate, which is manageable in daily driving but at the track additional heat generated in the clutch system, made it impossible to grab a gear cleanly all night and Chris suspects the OE clutch plate was slipping in 3rd and 4th gear too.

By the end of the night, Chris had to turn the engine off just to able to engage first gear...

FYI,

we have run several 122+ mph passes before with the best trap speed of 122.97 mph.

Whilst it is somewhat frustrating that the best ET we have managed to achieve so far, is "only" 11.949 seconds I'm very confident that will improve dramatically, once we have sorted our clutch issues.

Anyway the next time our 135i ventures out to WSID it will be rockin' a custom OS Giken twin-plate clutch setup.

This bad boy features twin 215 mm spring dampened friction plates and is conservatively rated for 650-700 horsepower at the engine.

Here are a few pics of the OS Giken "TR2CD" basket that will be installed, as soon as Ross has finished the machining of a suitable flywheel.

Cheers,

JD.
I sure hope this new OS Gilken twin plate fixes your constant ongoing clutch issues cause I'd be expecting your car to run a low 11 second pass.

BTW JD no comment on my overweight tanker hauling an 11.93ET???

Last edited by JB4-335; 04-07-2012 at 07:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #70
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Only just seen this thread now... That's a sensational time Edwin! Well done. Great to see the JB cars in the 11s, makes me want to get my car back out there and run again. I was never content with my 12.1 as all my launches were 2.0+ on 19 inch wheels which are all show

Edwin I think you must have the quickest vert in the world? Also, you'd be running mid 11's if you had a coupe! Very quick mate

Looks like you have the 60ft down, need too make more power now!
Thanks Vinney. The car's going really well nowadays.
Maybe the fastest 135i vert currently in Australia but I do have a competitor that is having his turbo's upgraded at the moment. Looking forward to having some fun.

As for mid 11's it's definitely doable with a coupe on stock turbo's and a good JB4 setup. Pretty happy with my 60's too.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #71
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Justin - what was wrong with the HPF "Feramic" Stage 2 setup that was in your car?
Ummm,

nothing at all other than the fact the "Stage 2" pressure plate design was flawed and that is putting it politely.

Oh yes, I almost forgot...

The other problem being contrary to what Chris@HPF would have you believe, the "Feramic" face clutch plate is very much susceptible to welding, when used with a steel flywheel no less.

This occurred on two consecutive Wednesday night meets and on the second occasion, "young" Chris had to dislodge the clutch plate from the flywheel, using quite a bit of force and a cold chisel.

Whilst the "Feramic" face Stage 2 clutch kit from HPF will hold more power on the street than the ACT "Street" clutch we used to run, be warned that based on our experience it will "weld up", with relative ease at the strip on drag radials.

Cheers,

JD.

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 04-07-2012 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #72
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raima View Post
This is where I think the situation was misjudged with the information was provided at the time. I honestly would not make the above statements that you accused me of. Getting 2nd hand situation would explain why you would think that I may have said something that absurd, but come on, you're an intelligent person. It should have raised flags!

I still stand by that I did not challenge you as I had no reason to, and by chance you just happened to dropped a cherry on the run.
Well yes that does make more sense to me, I'm starting to think the second hand info I got might have been someone stirring me up!

In any case it's 8 years ago now so no biggie.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #73
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
Hey I dont care about drags, but i think i gotta come down next time for the

Just out of interest though did you run the red?
Paul, you should go to the next BMW group at SD, it's a lot of fun! Next time we should organise a little better to ensure all newbies get a "hand hold" for driver registration and scrutineering, and to ensure we line up in the staging lanes as a pack. That way everyone gets to race against a fellow BMW member which is a lot more fun.

Also if we're organised and motivated we could catch up after for a coffee someplace near and do post mortems/ask advice.

I check back in my timeslips and I did redlight that pass by 0.057. I've scanned the timeslip to post up but the Photobucket resizing service is not working right now so I'll come back and add it later on when it's back up.

Until then:
Kenny
RT: -.057
60': 1.872 (Street radials)
330': 5.112
660': 7.521 @ 104.27 MPH
1000': 9.547
ET: 11.250 @ 131.14 MPH

Raima
RT: .924
60': 2.250
330': 5.969
660': 8.945 @ 81.39 MPH
1000': 11.510
ET: 13.642 @ 106.53 MPH

Edit: Got scanner working again!

Last edited by MrBlonde; 05-19-2012 at 10:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #74
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135 View Post
Why not drive the car yourself??

I sure hope this new OS Gilken twin plate fixes your constant ongoing clutch issues cause I'd be expecting your car to run a low 11 second pass.

BTW JD no comment on my overweight tanker hauling an 11.93ET???
Hey Edwin,

in lieu of the many workshop hours Peter has put into the ongoing development of the car and the amount of time Adrian of Vishnu has personally devoted to the tuning of the vehicle, I am more than happy to defer the driver's seat, to the likes of "young" Chris who has a plethora of drag racing experience and expertise.

Whilst our 135i has not lived up to its potential for quick ET's, at 123 mph it has recorded by far the fastest trap speed, of any N54/N55 powered vehicle in Aus.

With regards the installation of the OS Giken twin-plate, I more than anyone will be most pleased to finally resolve, the many clutch issues we have experienced.

Trust me the ongoing clutch problems have been somewhat of a headache for Peter and a costly inconvenience for myself.

Truth be told if I had listened to Peter, we would have been running an OS twin-plate following the failure of the ACT "Street" clutch, rather than tempting fate with yet another single face clutch setup.

I too would expect a low 11 second pass from our 1'er and rest assured those times will come soon enough, providing we do not break anything else along the way...

Lastly congrats on your 11.93 ET pass Edwin, that is indeed hauling some heavy vert' arse.

I was not being impolite as a result of sour grapes on my part, I do not buy into that whole "tuner war".

Cheers,

JD,

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 04-08-2012 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #75
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Kenny thanks for the invite and I don't want to sound ungrateful but I am rarely allowed out and really not interested in the drags (seems like there are enough egos there already ) I'd prefer to utilize my leave passes for the twisty track
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #76
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Hey Edwin,

in lieu of the many workshop hours Peter has put into the ongoing development of the car and the amount of time Adrian of Vishnu has personally devoted to the tuning of the vehicle, I am more than happy to defer the driver's seat, to the likes of "young" Chris who has a plethora of drag racing experience and expertise.
I don't get that sorry? Why build the car and not have the enjoyment of running it yourself? The only time I've ever let someone drive my car is when we've taken a couple out to a private day for some fun. Someone else breaks it, your the one stuck with the bill, that's not fun.

Quote:
Whilst our 135i has not lived up to its potential for quick ET's, at 123 mph it has recorded by far the fastest trap speed, of any N54/N55 powered vehicle in Aus.

With regards the installation of the OS Giken twin-plate, I more than anyone will be most pleased to finally resolve, the many clutch issues we have experienced.

Trust me the ongoing clutch problems have been somewhat of a headache for Peter and a costly inconvenience for myself.

Truth be told if I had have listened to Peter, we would have been running an OS twin-plate following the failure of the ACT "Street" clutch, rather than tempting fate with yet another single face clutch setup.

I too would expect a low 11 second pass from our 1'er and rest assured those times will come soon enough, providing we do not break anything else along the way...

Lastly congrats on your 11.93 ET pass Edwin, that is indeed hauling some heavy vert' arse.

I was not being impolite as a result of sour grapes on my part, I do not buy into that whole "tuner war".

Cheers,

JD,
Glad to hear the clutch issue is sorted or about to be, a twin & or triple plate will solve all issues, it'll have great bite on the line as well. Main thing is the problem is sorted and you can enjoy the car as intended!

A low 11 with 123 mph trap speed via IRS rwd is going to require a hell of a 60'ft time though or do you have more power adders planned
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 11:18 PM   #77
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
Kenny thanks for the invite and I don't want to sound ungrateful but I am rarely allowed out and really not interested in the drags (seems like there are enough egos there already ) I'd prefer to utilize my leave passes for the twisty track
Paul, I understand .. partners and families come first. If you do want to have a try then your best bet is to wait for a private track rental day at SD when the whole family can come out on a weekend day. It's a more relaxed atmosphere and you can get as many runs as you want on the day.

I think with any competitive sport you're going to get ego sightings! But then without ego there is no drive to achieve and reach levels beyond the current mark. I think it's more about channeling the ego and competitiveness into a friendly rivalry and not letting it turn the path of destructive emotions and losing sight of the shared enjoyment of the sport.

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 02:25 AM   #78
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1q2w3e4r View Post
I don't get that sorry? Why build the car and not have the enjoyment of running it yourself? The only time I've ever let someone drive my car is when we've taken a couple out to a private day for some fun. Someone else breaks it, your the one stuck with the bill, that's not fun.
I agree, it's not really 'Justin's' time at all. It's his car. I guess he can claim owning the car that does the fastest trap speeds, but not 'being' the fastest.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 02:37 AM   #79
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
Paul, I understand .. partners and families come first. If you do want to have a try then your best bet is to wait for a private track rental day at SD when the whole family can come out on a weekend day. It's a more relaxed atmosphere and you can get as many runs as you want on the day.

I think with any competitive sport you're going to get ego sightings! But then without ego there is no drive to achieve and reach levels beyond the current mark. I think it's more about channeling the ego and competitiveness into a friendly rivalry and not letting it turn the path of destructive emotions and losing sight of the shared enjoyment of the sport.
HERE HERE
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 03:05 AM   #80
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

For those who want to know more http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380558

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 04:10 AM   #81
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I don't get it either Benny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
I agree, it's not really 'Justin's' time at all. It's his car. I guess he can claim owning the car that does the fastest trap speeds, but not 'being' the fastest.

From now on your times mean unless it's done my the owner of the vehicle. Our car's are extremely easy to drive and definitely not that powerful. My wife drives mine regularly and she's a lead foot. She always says 'turn that meth thingy on' when she drives it.

Maybe an experienced driver can pull my heap over the quarter in a low 11 seconds.

Last edited by JB4-335; 04-08-2012 at 04:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 06:16 AM   #82
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135 View Post
I don't get it either Benny.

From now on your times mean unless it's done my the owner of the vehicle. Our car's are extremely easy to drive and definitely not that powerful. My wife drives mine regularly and she's a lead foot. She always says 'turn that meth thingy on' when she drives it.

Maybe an experienced driver can pull my heap over the quarter in a low 11 seconds.
So you want to poke some some fun :
Mate any one can drive an AUTO there really is no easier car to drive , Sorry i mean steer. you have even said that your wife drives it as hard as you.
Take it to the track day and i will deal to you with my eyes closed in my 20 year old runabout and it has only got 5 gears but then its old school as it has a clutch.
Edwin you do stir the pot now its my turn

By the way when i do finally get Justin's car sorted it will do a low 11 with the current engine setup with our young Chris at the wheel, he is the best for the job already he has done many 9 second passes in his own car. Why would Justin drive the car he will never achieve the same results as Chris. If you like you could say that Chris is the Advan test driver at least for the Drag strip anyway.
We don't care what you or for that matter any one thinks about how Justin's car is driven with or with out him at the wheel, we do this for our own and Justins enjoyment. testing is testing good or bad, at the end of the day many forum members will benefit from what we do

Last edited by Kiwi Peter; 04-08-2012 at 06:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 08:10 AM   #83
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Glad to hear the clutch issue is sorted or about to be, a twin & or triple plate will solve all issues, it'll have great bite on the line as well. Main thing is the problem is sorted and you can enjoy the car as intended!

A low 11 with 123 mph trap speed via IRS rwd is going to require a hell of a 60'ft time though or do you have more power adders planned
Hey Benny,

yep, I am looking forward to finally having a clutch setup that will do the job as intended.

Based on the research I have done and the many conversations with Pete regarding the durability of OS Giken multi-plate clutches, I have the utmost confidence in this third and final clutch configuration.

I suspect the car is capable of 126 mph trap speeds with close enough to 350 rwkW and perhaps a little weight reduction. The no-lift-shift feature of the Procede tune has pretty much sorted the throttle closure issues we were having on gear changes, I imagine that was costing us a couple of clicks on the trap speeds too.

We do have a few things planned to optimise our current RB turbo setup, but I do not think the gains will be super significant.

Having said that I will be pleasantly surprised if they are.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #84
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat View Post
Mate any one can drive an AUTO there really is no easier car to drive , Sorry i mean steer. you have even said that your wife drives it as hard as you.
Take it to the track day and i will deal to you with my eyes closed in my 20 year old runabout and it has only got 5 gears but then its old school as it has a clutch.

By the way when i do finally get Justin's car sorted it will do a low 11 with the current engine setup with our young Chris at the wheel, he is the best for the job already he has done many 9 second passes in his own car. Why would Justin drive the car he will never achieve the same results as Chris. If you like you could say that Chris is the Advan test driver at least for the Drag strip anyway.
We don't care what you or for that matter any one thinks about how Justin's car is driven with or with out him at the wheel, we do this for our own and Justins enjoyment. testing is testing good or bad, at the end of the day many forum members will benefit from what we do
Thanks Pete,

I could not have said it better myself.

You guys crack me up, I do not recall ever claiming that any ET or trap speed that I had posted up, was as a result of my driving skills, more so a lack thereof.

For that matter I thought I was doing you guys a favour, when our Procede tuned MT 135i is the fastest and quickest N54/N55 in Aus, you can take comfort in the fact that the owner of the vehicle did not drive the car, perhaps that will help you all sleep better at night.

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 04-08-2012 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #85
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Nup no egos here, nothing to see folks move right along.

:bs:

Let me see if I can find that m3 driver who wanted a 135 and persuade him to come back and instill some spice into the argument

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #86
micha3l
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat

I heard that driving a horse and cart involves even more skill than driving a manual transmission, but we're not all stuck in the past... :P

Each to their own, getting the auto to optimum time is harder than pushing the pedal and going, the auto shifts at far from optimum shift points, need to drive it the same as the manual, just no clutch.

The development you guys are doing in the 135i is awesome, and it is good to see someone like Justin letting Advan takeover his car.

Justin, I suppose we all just hope you get to enjoy you're car at times too!

2011 BMW M3 - Mineral White - VF620 Supercharger - Gintani Sport Valved Exhaust - Harrop BBK - Arykym Front lip and Diffuser - KW Sleeve over kit - Forgestar CF5V Wheels
2009 BMW 135i - Space Grey - 11.841 @ 117.81mph - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #87
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micha3l View Post
I heard that driving a horse and cart involves even more skill than driving a manual transmission, but we're not all stuck in the past... :P

Each to their own, getting the auto to optimum time is harder than pushing the pedal and going, the auto shifts at far from optimum shift points, need to drive it the same as the manual, just no clutch.

The development you guys are doing in the 135i is awesome, and it is good to see someone like Justin letting Advan takeover his car.

Justin, I suppose we all just hope you get to enjoy you're car at times too!
Justin has a standing order from high command, it states that he must drive his car at the track day or it will sit on the hoist for six months true story. So this is an opportunity for anyone that wants to beat the most powerful 135 in Australia.
So come on people fill out you forms pay your money and come to the track day we will all have a few laughs and poke some fun at each other
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #88
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micha3l View Post
.. need to drive it the same as the manual, just no clutch ..
There's a lot in that "just".

Appreciate 0