BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #265
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
+1. Artemis, there is a list of proper oils in the relevant section of the supplementary 1M manual. Stick with that one, try not to mix different grade oils when it comes to adding oil and don't forget that BMW services at times may be suffering from the same syndroms of competence even in Germany or its neighbours when it comes to a relatively rare product like 1M
Fact check of what I was told: real ///M engines require 10W60. However the engine used for the 1M (N54) is not a 'true' ///M engine. The Twin Turbo got to stick with 5W30. However, if I want to push the 1M hard on track 10W60 would be more appropriate. Here you got it - so the story goes (at least the one I was told).
      09-25-2012, 01:58 AM   #266
1mPanda
Private
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

Hi guys, I'm new by, this is my story about oil.
Traveled to Europe on my 1M, wanted to change the oil after 7000 km (the first time I've changed on 2000km), my dealer puts LL- 01 original BMW 0W40. When i was in Munich, came the official BMW dealer not far from BMW Welt, they say, we did not have this oil, I decided not to waste time. Then I saw a dealer in Davos, they tried to find my oil, after a long search, service man said that they do not use this oil about two years and in the end said engine kaputt .

already 10,000km it was time to change the oil, and I had no choice i will changed it on the Nurburgring on Motul v300 15w50. They say this is the best for track use.

Next year i will planes again go to Europe on my 1m and I do't want travel across Europe especially in Germany and look where I can change the oil, because they have only LL04 that not allowed for our countries.

what do you think about Motul v300 15w50 normal for the engine?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 07:30 AM   #267
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Fact check of what I was told: real ///M engines require 10W60. However the engine used for the 1M (N54) is not a 'true' ///M engine. The Twin Turbo got to stick with 5W30. However, if I want to push the 1M hard on track 10W60 would be more appropriate. Here you got it - so the story goes (at least the one I was told).
+1. I was told the same thing at Manhart Racing GmbH when we toured their shop. They said even though BMW says to use the 0w30, 0w40, 5w30 or 5w30 long life oils... Manhart said there is no better oil for track use or cars that are pushed hard on the street than the Castrol TWS 10w60 oil. In fact they said every car that they service or build - and that is what they use.

They said the reason is the oil doesn't allow metal on metal contact at extreme oil temps, that you often see at the track or on the Autobahn.

I asked them that isn't a 10w60 oil kind of think to use all year round, especially in a cold (winter) climate like Germany ? ...and they said most M owners don't drive in the winter time!

So... While I think Castrol Edge 0w40 Long Life (full synthetic or the oil sold at BMW in the USA)) oil is best to use in any N55 or N54 engine... for cars that are tracked maybe you should use TWS.

I will continue to use German Castrol Edge FST 0w40 LL oil though.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 07:49 AM   #268
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mPanda View Post

Next year i will plan again go to Europe on my 1M and I do't want travel across Europe especially in Germany and look where I can change the oil, because they have only LL04 that not allowed for our countries.

what do you think about Motul v300 15w50 normal for the engine?

There are many places that sell LL-1 rated oil over here. In fact the oil I have been using: German Castrol RS Edge 0w40 LL4, has been replaced with Castrol Edge FST (Fluid Strength Technology) 0w40 LL-1.

German Castrol Edge FST 0w40 LL-1 oil....
http://www.oeldepot24.de/castrol-edg...0-5-liter.html

You can also find this oil at ANY Aral (Blue gas stations)on the Autobahn. Although you will probably pay around 33 euros PER liter for it!

The cheapest place to buy German Castrol(G.C.) or even BMW Full Synthetic oils is from:

www.oeldepot24.de

Oeldepot24.de charges 5 euros per liter for BMW oils and 9 euros for G.C. oils.

BMW oil...
http://www.oeldepot24.de/motoroel/mo...0-1-liter.html

Castrol oil...
http://www.oeldepot24.de/castrol-edg...4-1-liter.html

You can also find German Castrol oil at any good interdependent auto parts stores like: Thrust, Stahlgroup, Knoll or Bosch

Even the Pep-Boys of Germany... ATU sells these oils. ATU.de

Personally, I think you should have just changed your oil while over here at any of those dealers. The Long Life rating is really only important for people who go long time between oil changes, like what BMW says to do. But its no big deal since you were still within BMW OCI recommendation of 15K miles between oil changes.

I personally believe the best oil is FRESH oil...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #269
1mPanda
Private
Russian Federation
Rep

to Dackelone Thanks for your answer.

Strangely, why they told me that they do not have my oil, I showed it to him this

that's why I thought that castrol and this one it's different oils and everywhere trying to find oil as on picture.

it is very difficult travel in Germany where no speed limits, on 0w40 oil she always asks me refill 1l. I think that on the track and autobahn, this oil burn.

What can you say about motul 300v 15w50 if I continue to fill motul 300v 15w50 will be okay for the engine? or you recommend fill Castrol Edge 0w40 Long Life. I do't use a car in the winter time. Or maybe motul 300v but 5w30.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #270
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
What can you say about motul 300v 15w50 if I continue to fill motul 300v 15w50 will be okay for the engine? or you recommend fill Castrol Edge 0w40 Long Life. I do't use a car in the winter time. Or maybe motul 300v but 5w30.

I think using Motul 300v oil in the summertime would be fine. I would not use it in the winter time. And you should not go with a long oil change interval with Motul since it is not tested by BMW for Long Life oil changes. I think changing that oil every 10K to 15K kms would be just fine. You sound like you are taking good care of your car - so I would just keep changing your oil before and after one of these "trips to Germany".

Here is what the BMW Full Synthetic 0w40 LL-4 oil that my BMW Zentrum sells for 23 euros PER liter(!) looks like:

As you can see... the above oil sells for 23 euros at my dealer(I have even seen it sell for 32 euros at some dealers!) but over on oeldepot24.de it sells for only 5 euros!!! (ok, different grade, but its the same oil!).

http://www.oeldepot24.de/motoroel/mo...0-1-liter.html

On the picture of your LL1 oil... I do not see where it says it is a "full synthetic oil" ? it kind of looks like the Dino oil that BMW sells for the non turbo models like the old 116i/118i's. ?

Perhaps on your next visit you should bring "a few" spare liters of oil with you. Btw... how many kilometers did you drive on your trip? Must have been a few thousand K's. ?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #271
1mPanda
Private
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I think using Motul 300v oil in the summertime would be fine. I would not use it in the winter time. And you should not go with a long oil change interval with Motul since it is not tested by BMW for Long Life oil changes. I think changing that oil every 10K to 15K kms would be just fine. You sound like you are taking good care of your car - so I would just keep changing your oil before and after one of these "trips to Germany".
I change the oil every 5000-7000km and I not use a car in the winter time.

Quote:
On the picture of your LL1 oil... I do not see where it says it is a "full synthetic oil" ? it kind of looks like the Dino oil that BMW sells for the non turbo models like the old 116i/118i's. ?

Perhaps on your next visit you should bring "a few" spare liters of oil with you. Btw... how many kilometers did you drive on your trip? Must have been a few thousand K's. ?
our dealer puts this oil in all cars even x6m or others M cars
but in diesel car, we fill LL-04 like on your picture

Before the trip I changed the oil in the motor (0W40LL01) gearbox and rear diff
it was on 2000km. When we went to Europe on the odometer has been 3000. then the next oil change I made on the way back on Nurburgring (9500km)

Moscow-Byelorussia-Klaieda-Kiel(Germany)-Nurburgring-Munich-Austria-Swiss-Milan-Venice-stelvio and other passes etc. On the way back a few more laps on Nurburgring on new oil total is about 8800km

Next year I'll send a car to Nürburgring by truck transporter.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #272
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Moscow-Byelorussia-Klaieda-Kiel(Germany)-Nurburgring-Munich-Austria-Swiss-Milan-Venice-stelvio and other passes etc. On the way back a few more laps on Nurburgring on new oil total is about 8800km

Next year I'll send a car to Nürburgring by truck transporter.
And I thought that I like long drives!
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #273
1mPanda
Private
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
and I drove on Nurburgring on this oil
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 04:28 AM   #274
1mPanda
Private
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
I will continue to use German Castrol Edge FST 0w40 LL oil though.
how this oil feels on the track and autobahn under heavy loads?

find this oil at gas stations

but BMW dealer is not selling this oil, selling only Edge PROFESSIONAL
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #275
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
how this oil feels on the track and autobahn under heavy loads?

find this oil at gas stations

but BMW dealer is not selling this oil, selling only Edge PROFESSIONAL

That is the same oil I use! (middle and far right in your picture, the on on the LEFT I don't know). I use: Castrol EDGE FST 0W-40 LL-1.

Online at the oel depot it sells for 40 euros for a 5L jug. At the stores or gas stations in Germany, it sells for 70 to 99 euros for that same 5L jug!

I use to use Castrol RS Edge 0w40 LL-4, but Castrol stopped selling that here. So since I always change my oil every 10K kms (max!) I think I am ok with using this LL-1 oil. My oil temps are cooler with using this G.C. oil than say Mobil-1's European Blend 0w40 LL-1 oil (bought on base, so its the oil sold in the states). AND... my engine runs a lot quieter with G.C. than it did with Mobil-1. Both are Long Life oils though.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #276
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

"What the papers said": general BMW info regarding engine oil for the 128i/135i and 1M.

More particularly pages 217-219 of the "BMW 128i/135i Owner's Manual 2012" (USA) (which was supplied with the 1M, together with the "BMW 1M Supplementary Owner's Manual").

For the complete manual (as well as other manuals and basic info): see the "BMW 1M Manual | Catalogue | Presskit | Pricelist" sticky (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...82&postcount=1).

Name:  EngineOil_Page_1.jpg
Views: 2511
Size:  117.4 KB
Name:  EngineOil_Page_2.jpg
Views: 2456
Size:  134.5 KB
Name:  EngineOil_Page_3.jpg
Views: 2463
Size:  185.5 KB
      10-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #277
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Just changed trans and diff oil. Want to give Metak big props for posting this thread and TSB. Parts guy couldn't find LT5 until I gave him part number from thread. Then he blows me off when I ask for diff oil with FM booster. Says he knows it already. He writes it up and gas me sign invoice and I notice he is getting me no FM fluid. I told him it came in bottles but he blew me off. Finally I pulled out TSB on my iPhone and he said "oh you want the expensive stuff." So finally he got me the good stuff. So lesson is STILL PAY ATTENTION. Shifting got slicker and I only had 12k miles in gear oil. Diff oil was blacker than I expected for such few miles. Glad I did it and thanks to everyone that helped in this sticky.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #278
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Just changed trans and diff oil. Want to give Metak big props for posting this thread and TSB. Parts guy couldn't find LT5 until I gave him part number from thread. Then he blows me off when I ask for diff oil with FM booster. Says he knows it already. He writes it up and gas me sign invoice and I notice he is getting me no FM fluid. I told him it came in bottles but he blew me off. Finally I pulled out TSB on my iPhone and he said "oh you want the expensive stuff." So finally he got me the good stuff. So lesson is STILL PAY ATTENTION. Shifting got slicker and I only had 12k miles in gear oil. Diff oil was blacker than I expected for such few miles. Glad I did it and thanks to everyone that helped in this sticky.
If I understood correctly you changed the diff and trans oils second time only after 12K (or 12K plus 1200miles), first in 1200 mile oil service and second now, is it true? If true, what made you go with a second change in such low mileage? Don't get me wrong, not that I am against any kind of oil to be changed earlier than factory recommendations, just would like to know if there was a special reason behind what you did.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #279
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Yes this was second change and I did it as a second break-in change. Most of my first 1200 miles were highway and now I put regular miles and a couple of autocrosses so I wanted also to see how diff and trans would look. I also noticed shifting was a tiny bit firmer and sure enough with new fluid it loosened up. I will probably go two years now that 12k is fully broken in, in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #280
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

I am changing my trans and diff oil(s) every 25K to 30K miles. IF I were tracking my car I would be doing that every few events. But thats just me.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #281
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

+1

I'll also be doing 24k or two years whichever first unless I were to track then different story. The diff does a lot of work in our cars because of all the torque. The clutches and gears in the diff are shuffling power all the time. As I mentioned the diff oil was pretty much black after 11k miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #282
GAZ 345
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep

what oil is best for the power steering
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #283
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Sorry to revive such a long thread, but the folks who were thinking of running the S65/85 oil (10W60) in their N54's, any issues?

Can the oil pump handle this oil? I'm thinking of going with 0W40, but thought I'd check in with you guys first for your results.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #284
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
Sorry to revive such a long thread, but the folks who were thinking of running the S65/85 oil (10W60) in their N54's, any issues?

Can the oil pump handle this oil? I'm thinking of going with 0W40, but thought I'd check in with you guys first for your results.
I am totally happy with the 0W40, fits like a glove imo. Heats up fast but runs relatively under control/cooler.

Brazilian Forum member Plautus has been using S65 oil since long time and mostly during heavy track sessions so you might like to send him a PM to learn more about his personal experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #285
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAZ 345 View Post
what oil is best for the power steering
I think it may be: Pentosin chf 11S ?

But you should really check with a dealer and see what they say/recommend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post

I would stay with BMW's recommended 0w40 LL-1 oil(s). Ditto on what ozinaldo said above!

I like German Castrol RS Edge or FST Edge 0w40.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #286
1mPanda
Private
Russian Federation
Rep

guys who knows the number of coolant?

Thanks, I found it (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...hlight=coolant)
At first I had use the search and then ask

Last edited by 1mPanda; 01-16-2013 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 0