BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-20-2013, 05:03 AM   #1
worries
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i Jet Black

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
First time polishing and Jet Black

So this is my first time polishing. My car is only a few months old but the dealer had put in some nice swirls during the new car prep(the car was siting on the lot for several months), also some holograms on the hood, and a few water spots. The car hasn't had a proper sealant applied since I got it, just some quick detail wax(CG V7) with every wash.

I watched and took notes from several youtube videos, like drive clean and ammonyc(he does an amazing job explaining everything), enough to build up my confidence in doing this.

Products used:

Uber Clay Bar
Griot Garage 6" DA Polisher
Uber Backing Plate
Meguiar's Microfiber Cutting Pad
Meguiar's Microfiber Finishing Pad
Menzerna FG400
Menzerna SF4000
Menzerna Power Lock

Method:

Wash(always three buckets) then clay everything.
Used FG400 on the cutting pad, followed by an IPA wipe down.
Used SF4000 on the finishing pad, followed by an IPA wipe down.
Every polish I did a snake-like overlap pattern.
After half the car I used a brush to fluff the MF pads back up.
When the car was done and all polish residue was removed, I followed up with Power Lock and waited until hazed over then buffed out.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the results, Jet Black looks amazing when it's polished and the PL makes it look like glass. I think I was too conservative with the amount of pressure and duration while I was polishing, mostly from fears of burning through the clear coat. I got out about 70-80% of the swirls and water spots out, while some of the deeper scratches are still there. I also removed a really bad bird crap etching that I'm really happy about.

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions for the next time I do this. I'm still a little uncertain how long I'm supposed to polish a section with the FG400 and SF4000.

Here are a few low quality low light iPhone 5 photos, by the time I finished it was almost night.

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 06:28 AM   #2
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Looks great, good work.

Is your car lowered? certainly looks like it in the last pic.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #3
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Well done. JB is a PITA to work on, the results look outstanding.

How do you like the MF Pads? Up to this point I've been using LCC Foam Pads

Just a FYI, with MF Pads and a DA Polisher...it is basically impossible to burn paint. You have to be using the DA on a 1" section for about 5 minutes to do any real damage...rotary is a different answer completely.

As well, you should work the polish til it flashes clear. When you keep on working the polish, you should slowly start to see it turn clear as you keep on working it. One that happens you know the polish has fully down its job and you can stop. Typically, when you're done with a section there shouldn't be much excess polish left to clean up with a MF towel.

And one last thing, after each section I do I always spurr the pad with a screwdriver (Similar to fluffing it like you mentioned). Waiting half the car to do it all depends how much polish is on the pad, but doing it every section makes sure you get consistency among each panel.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Excellent results on a difficult color!

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
worries
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i Jet Black

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy 72 View Post
Looks great, good work.

Is your car lowered? certainly looks like it in the last pic.
Yup! ST Coilovers with 15mm spacers in front and 12mm spacers in rear, and M3 bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Well done. JB is a PITA to work on, the results look outstanding.

How do you like the MF Pads? Up to this point I've been using LCC Foam Pads

Just a FYI, with MF Pads and a DA Polisher...it is basically impossible to burn paint. You have to be using the DA on a 1" section for about 5 minutes to do any real damage...rotary is a different answer completely.

As well, you should work the polish til it flashes clear. When you keep on working the polish, you should slowly start to see it turn clear as you keep on working it. One that happens you know the polish has fully down its job and you can stop. Typically, when you're done with a section there shouldn't be much excess polish left to clean up with a MF towel.

And one last thing, after each section I do I always spurr the pad with a screwdriver (Similar to fluffing it like you mentioned). Waiting half the car to do it all depends how much polish is on the pad, but doing it every section makes sure you get consistency among each panel.
Well I don't really have anything to compare the MF pads to, but they seamed to work well. I can see them not lasting as long as the foam pads.

Thanks for the info, now that I think about it I could have polished a lot longer. I definitely had a good amount of residue left that I was having trouble wiping off, even with the IPA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb135is View Post
Excellent results on a difficult color!
Thanks, my back is killing me now!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Get a stool! It'll save your back. Or do some yoga beforehand! Works well.
Appreciate 0