BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #67
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Actually it's 4Kw, which is about 5 bhp - which is nearly 25% of your claimed figures, so not insignificant.

Where did you get the 4Kw error in calcs from ?
OEM mid pip = 246

N55 pipe = 258.1

the difference is 12.1

I dont think you can use the 242 figure since that was with M off, right?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #68
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
OEM mid pip = 246

N55 pipe = 258.1

the difference is 12.1

I dont think you can use the 242 figure since that was with M off, right?
Correct, thank you Papethova
      03-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #69
NC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

All the scrutiny of Zuzu's results aside, even if it produced half the HP gain in terms of bang-for-the-buck you can't go wrong.

Zuzu - thanks for posting your data - much appreciated. My mid-pipe is on order.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #70
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
So, was the car fully warmed up, oil to temp, etc prior to the runs without the M button?
YES.. I am not a novice to tuning cars to be asked this ridiculous question..I am 51 yrs old and understand the basic parrameters when dynoing a car, and so does the operator..
Hey, gotta ask.

Quote:
Quote:
Why don't you start a thread on the main forum about the M button adding more power? Or I can- I'm sure most of us want to know...
Good Idea
New thread posted here: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656978
      03-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #71
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Well I'd say we're just asking for clarification at this point. Doubting may come later. I'm certain we'll get some more tests, and some of the guys with boost gauges will mention if they see a difference in boost. I'm also pretty sure tuners know how the software changes with the M button...
My observations:

1. I have dynoed the car with M button on, and with it off (in consecutive runs). No change in observed peak HP numbers.
2. I have a boost gauge (get's physical readings through DV lines as opposed to the CANbus version). No observed difference in peak boost between M and non-M mode (15psi peak on stock tune regardless if M button is engaged).
3. I have also logged the car in multiple parameters, peak included, through the AccessPort. Again no difference in peak boost was noticed whether M button was activated or not (via ECU readings this time).
4. Tuners like COBB have maps which disable the M button all-together (e.g. their 91 and 93 Linear Throttle maps where there is no difference if you depress the M button or not). This results in no change in recorded peak power as compared to there Non-Linear Throttle maps (where the M button is allowed to work). All it changes is sensitivity on throttle response, not peak power (nor boost).
5. I dynoed my MadDad mid pipe + Akra Slip-On and got a 10whp delta gain. Compared to the N55 mids, the MadDad is no less restrictive, in fact I'd venture to guess to say it is even freer flowing. Unless one can argue the Akra Slip-On (valves fully open) exhaust is more restrictive than stock (close to an impossibility), getting the alleged gains from an N55 mid pipe alone certainly look very optimistic. FWIW, I had the MadDad midpipe on my 135i and it recorded 8whp gains.

At the end of the day, I personally don't think the M button is any different than what I had on my E39 M5 (basically a factory-installed Sprintbooster that changes throttle response). What has documented here is definitely in contradiction, so I too would like to know what occurring.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #72
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Advevo,

Was the 1M you changed to N55 mid pipe, a stock car or with some engine/exhaust tune already that could affect the positive result you got?

Any additional comments on drone?

Thanks in advance.
stock engine and ecu. Only changed midpipe to n55. Overal sound is little louder. Drone is almost not there maybe a little bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #73
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Sorry for getting off topic. The easiest way to determine if your exhaust is droning, simply drive with your rear seats down. I stumbled onto this when I was transporting my track wheels last weekend.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 06:43 AM   #74
LotusBoy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M, N55, KW's DDC

Hi guys, and special thanks to Mr Zuzu for his time, money spent and most importantly for his patience. While a 16hp is quite an impressive gain for such a relatively small mod, it confirms that there's definitely a power gain, together with a bit more sound. Now why it is a bit more than expected could be down to:
1: more milage
2: type and temperature of fuel
3: running-in oil Vs normal oil
As for the M button, most tuners seem to agree it has a negilgible effect on the curves, so what could explain the difference here could be the following. Zuzu explained us that his car made a bit more power after each run, which is unusual. But we know also that the ECU is progressively adapting to fuel quality. So if the last fill up was better than the previous, it would explain why the 1st run (M off) and then subsequent runs (M on) showed increasing numbers. In this case the increase would reflect ECU adaptation, and not M button position. German/swiss tuners are known to measure their cars with 100 to 102 octane gas, so it certainly makes a difference. There was also an article in EVO on the subject, where they used a Golf 5 GTI to rate the different fuels available in the UK, with significant differences. But anyway, back to this post: the mid-pipe is in my view the single most interesting modification for the 1M.
Thanks again, Zuzu !
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 08:05 AM   #75
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusBoy View Post
Hi guys, and special thanks to Mr Zuzu for his time, money spent and most importantly for his patience. While a 16hp is quite an impressive gain for such a relatively small mod, it confirms that there's definitely a power gain, together with a bit more sound. Now why it is a bit more than expected could be down to:
1: more milage
2: type and temperature of fuel
3: running-in oil Vs normal oil
As for the M button, most tuners seem to agree it has a negilgible effect on the curves, so what could explain the difference here could be the following. Zuzu explained us that his car made a bit more power after each run, which is unusual. But we know also that the ECU is progressively adapting to fuel quality. So if the last fill up was better than the previous, it would explain why the 1st run (M off) and then subsequent runs (M on) showed increasing numbers. In this case the increase would reflect ECU adaptation, and not M button position. German/swiss tuners are known to measure their cars with 100 to 102 octane gas, so it certainly makes a difference. There was also an article in EVO on the subject, where they used a Golf 5 GTI to rate the different fuels available in the UK, with significant differences. But anyway, back to this post: the mid-pipe is in my view the single most interesting modification for the 1M.
Thanks again, Zuzu !
Agreed. Interesting input, I also consider the mid-pipe change the way I did consider the change of tires to PSS that I am already experiencing with great satisfaction, these are the cost effective mods for the 1M which do not alter the driving characteristics of the car to something else, void warranty or put a hole in your wallet.

From what others also commented, like Advevo's input, the gains are not limited to a slight (or not) increase in power/torque, it enhances the sound, it cures the drone (partially or more), it gives better throttle response, it makes the engine more free reving at the top of the band where it needs it, is OEM part which fits just like a glove and costs more or less the same of a rear spoiler. Well, I am sold.

Zuzu, thanks for all the time and patience.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #76
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
stock engine and ecu. Only changed midpipe to n55. Overal sound is little louder. Drone is almost not there maybe a little bit.
Thanks, I appreciate. Clearly worth to change to N55 mid pipes.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 01:06 AM   #77
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC View Post
All the scrutiny of Zuzu's results aside, even if it produced half the HP gain in terms of bang-for-the-buck you can't go wrong.

Zuzu - thanks for posting your data - much appreciated. My mid-pipe is on order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post

Zuzu, thanks for all the time and patience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusBoy View Post
Thanks again, Zuzu !
You welcome guys...
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 02:58 AM   #78
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Thanks for all the input guys, sounds like its a well worth oem mod for the 1M at a small outlay in cost.....
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 03:54 AM   #79
jan9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

Because it is an oem part, do you think there will be no issues with warranty? Also will it pass emission tests in the UK when it comes to MOT time?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 04:29 AM   #80
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

The MOT now has vehicle specific emmisions tests, so my guess is no, it won't pass, but it isn't possible to say yet as the 1M emmisions targets for MOT have not been published by the DOT yet. However, this is the easiest part to swap back for MOT if need be, so I wouldn't let it stop you.

Re warranty, well, a clued up tech would know it isn't the right part, so it being OEM wouldn't ensure no issues, but I wouldn't anticipate any warranty issues from changing an exhaust component in any case...
      03-05-2012, 05:22 AM   #81
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Ian even the vehicle specific emmissions tests? Do you know what the target figures will be for the 1M?
      03-05-2012, 06:15 AM   #82
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Just ordered mine, will fit sometime next week........
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 07:25 AM   #83
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clived View Post
The MOT now has vehicle specific emmisions tests, so my guess is no, it won't pass, but it isn't possible to say yet as the 1M emmisions targets for MOT have not been published by the DOT yet. However, this is the easiest part to swap back for MOT if need be, so I wouldn't let it stop you.

Re warranty, well, a clued up tech would know it isn't the right part, so it being OEM wouldn't ensure no issues, but I wouldn't anticipate any warranty issues from changing an exhaust component in any case...
I know this is different country and another market but just to let you know I am getting mine from the BMW dealer and I will let them install it when it comes (unless they give me a stupid price). They are well aware about my car, that it is new and under warranty but they don't seem to worry about that so neither do I About a possible exhaust emissions test, totally agree with what you say, any doubts just change it back.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #84
Vrumpkin
Seymour J. Vrumpkin
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

N55 vs. MadDad.... the MadDad video sounds great, damn this is hard
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #85
nicoz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf View Post
MadDad will give more power as larger diameter
It's the same 3'' pipe at the end anyways?! No?!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #86
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoz View Post
It's the same 3'' pipe at the end anyways?! No?!
This
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #87
nicoz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
This
?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #88
NC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldBMWguy View Post
I ordered my N55 midpipes from http://getbmwparts.com/. for about $333 plus shipping to Va. Their diagram also showed the cats in the pipes, but they said the diagram was wrong... and they were correct. It came without the cats [I think the price is the giveaway-- if it is in the $330-350 range, you got the correct one].

FYI - I was quoted the following on my order from http://getbmwparts.com/:

Items Total: $333.22
Shipping Method: Standard Ground - US Only
Shipping: $24.95
Handling Fee: $3.95
Order Total: $362.12

Now they are telling me it's $75.00 for shipping even though they provided the quote above. Be warned.
Appreciate 0