BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #89
nicoz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf View Post
I understood that the N55 mid pipes where 2.75", while MadDad's are 3". Not referring to the ends though.

See here: http://www.daddysscp.com/product_p/md135mp.htm
I'm not sure about the exact sizing though... maybe someone here knows. But I do think the last little bit of piping before connecting to the rear part is 3'' on both midpipes... am I correct? Is the beginning of the rear part 3''? If so, and if both midpipes end in a 3'' pipe, then the restriction to flow will be the rear part anyway... even if midpipes were 4 or 5''.. to say something. Am I still correct?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #90
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoz View Post
I'm not sure about the exact sizing though... maybe someone here knows. But I do think the last little bit of piping before connecting to the rear part is 3'' on both midpipes... am I correct?
If you are referring to the OEM axle back pipe, before the muffler, then yes it is about 3"..

If you are referring to the midpipes, there is NO 3" pipe on the midpipes themselves.. You sound confused what is the midpipe and what is the axle back section..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #91
nicoz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
If you are referring to the OEM axle back pipe, before the muffler, then yes it is about 3"..

If you are referring to the midpipes, there is NO 3" pipe on the midpipes themselves.. You sound confused what is the midpipe and what is the axle back section..
I'm not confused lol

Well, to answer all this, what is the size of the last part of the stock midpipe you took out? 2,75 or 3''? Then we'll know!

Thanks in advance!!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #92
-Z-
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black Pyrat

Quote:
I understood that the N55 mid pipes where 2.75", while MadDad's are 3". Not referring to the ends though.

See here: http://www.daddysscp.com/product_p/md135mp.htm
this...

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #93
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoz View Post
?
I forgot the numbers now but the bottleneck would be the 3" pipe at the rear. Dual 2.5s or 2.75s will get restricted at a single 3, obviously dual 3s will too. This is strictly volume measurements.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #94
nicoz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
I forgot the numbers now but the bottleneck would be the 3" pipe at the rear. Dual 2.5s or 2.75s will get restricted at a single 3, obviously dual 3s will too. This is strictly volume measurements.
That's what I thought!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #95
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC View Post
FYI - I was quoted the following on my order from http://getbmwparts.com/:

Items Total: $333.22
Shipping Method: Standard Ground - US Only
Shipping: $24.95
Handling Fee: $3.95
Order Total: $362.12

Now they are telling me it's $75.00 for shipping even though they provided the quote above. Be warned.
That's a great price for this setup.

I was thinking that an exhaust shop could easily cut out the secondary cats and weld in a same diameter tube in it's place.
It would probably cost less, but at about $370 it's not bad.

Since this won't throw codes, I'll ask a shop how much to cut and weld.
Can't be too pricey and no need to disconnect what's their, unless of course they can't get to it while the system is in place.

Those that have done this yourselves, does it look like there's room to cut and weld in a couple straight pieces while everything is still bolted up OEM?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #96
NC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
That's a great price for this setup.

I was thinking that an exhaust shop could easily cut out the secondary cats and weld in a same diameter tube in it's place.
It would probably cost less, but at about $370 it's not bad.

Since this won't throw codes, I'll ask a shop how much to cut and weld.
Can't be too pricey and no need to disconnect what's their, unless of course they can't get to it while the system is in place.

Those that have done this yourselves, does it look like there's room to cut and weld in a couple straight pieces while everything is still bolted up OEM?
I have been emailing back and forth with them and there is a shipping policy that states mid-pipes are a flat rate $75 shipping cost regardless of what they email quoted price states. Apparently there are limitations to the software the ties shipping costs to certain parts. I agree that even with the $75 shipping cost their price is somewhat competitive. My dealer quoted something around $433.

In regards to having a shop cut out the secondary cats on the original pipe I guess you could do that but I'd rather keep the original and buy a new N55 mid-pipe. Best of luck in whichever direction you choose.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #97
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:

Zuzu, who has the N55 mids, and I will try do a side by side video soon
I will watch for it . . . having a hard time deciding.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 02:19 AM   #98
mm1
Private
Rep
Drives: exE90 M3/ now1M

I just did the swap to N55 mids, happy for now, can`t say that the drone is gone completly, now it`s just in a narrower rpm range. Sounds maybe a few % louder, cold start beeing a highlight. Now waiting for a back box, my neighbours aren`t gona be happy.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #99
mojo_78613
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M Coupe

Sounds like a reasonable mod using an OEM part. I wonder why BMW did not consider using the N55 midpipe when this car was being tested and produced..... Is this an easy DIY or should one have a shop install? I saw a video posted by one of the vendors for someone who installed an N55 midpipe, Akrapovic slip on, and a wireless kit.... This set up sounds really good..... If I were to do this, I would have skipped the wireless kit... I'm also trying to find reviews for Ramus's Street Race which is slightly cheaper than Akrapovic's Slip on.... Any thoughts or pointers would be greatly appreciated... One thing that bothers me with some of the vendors, is they are trying to sell high performance exhaust systems and avoid providing facts that would help sell their item... Sorry for going off topic here... Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #100
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo_78613 View Post
Sounds like a reasonable mod using an OEM part. I wonder why BMW did not consider using the N55 midpipe when this car was being tested and produced..... Is this an easy DIY or should one have a shop install? I saw a video posted by one of the vendors for someone who installed an N55 midpipe, Akrapovic slip on, and a wireless kit.... This set up sounds really good..... If I were to do this, I would have skipped the wireless kit... I'm also trying to find reviews for Ramus's Street Race which is slightly cheaper than Akrapovic's Slip on.... Any thoughts or pointers would be greatly appreciated... One thing that bothers me with some of the vendors, is they are trying to sell high performance exhaust systems and avoid providing facts that would help sell their item... Sorry for going off topic here... Cheers!
if im not mistaken the N54 pollutes more than the N55 that is why secondary cats are needed in the N54 setup.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #101
mojo_78613
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M Coupe

Thanks for the reply. I guess it's safe to keep the OEM (N54) midpipe just from an environmental standpoint... Not sure whether people who swapped their midpipes have experienced any odors due to the lack of secondary cats... Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EINSER M View Post
if im not mistaken the N54 pollutes more than the N55 that is why secondary cats are needed in the N54 setup.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #102
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I guess it's safe to keep the OEM (N54) midpipe just from an environmental standpoint... Not sure whether people who swapped their midpipes have experienced any odors due to the lack of secondary cats... Cheers!
i put the N55 mids on my 1M and no change as far as that was concerned
i'd get gas smell on a catless downpipes setup for sure though
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #103
pearlwhites
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, 06 CTT, 07 A8L

Anyone here running the N55 midpipes with a set of catless dp's?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #104
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
I wonder why BMW did not consider using the N55 midpipe when this car was being tested and produced.....
The N55 was designed as a less expensive replacement for the N54. The mission was to duplicate the performance while reducing costs. Cats are expensive, so the N55 was engineered to allow the use of a single cat while still making emissions. Twin turbos and forged internals were also dropped for the N55, further reducing cost but reducing the strength and performance potential, which is why the factory chose the N54 as a base for tuning with the 1M.
      03-24-2012, 01:08 AM   #105
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e46M3 Ruby, Porsche Cayman GT4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
Just ordered mine, will fit sometime next week........
Hi Mate,

Have you fitted this now and do you notice any difference ? I am back next weekend and getting mines fitted a week on Monday. Would appreciate your thoughts
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #106
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Was on back order and so will pick up next week and fit then get my car over to Hayward & Scott to sort out the rest (axle back).
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 06:30 AM   #107
h-manuk
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M Coupe

Quote:
See around the 2:35 min mark re M button ... Changes mapping, more power
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=6IbiTiPO-YM
The M button changes throttle mapping only and does not give you more power. You will get more power on full throttle with overboost with or without M button depressed for 7seconds only!

Changing the throttle map makes the car feel sharper and more responsive. A lot of so called tuners change the throttle map only and then tell the customer that they now have more power.

The only M car I recall that the M button gave more power was in the E60 M5 and E63 M6
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 06:40 AM   #108
h-manuk
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
See around the 2:35 min mark re M button ... Changes mapping, more power
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=6IbiTiPO-YM
The M button changes throttle mapping only and does not give you more power. You will get more power on full throttle with overboost with or without M button depressed for 7seconds only!

Changing the throttle map makes the car feel sharper and more responsive. A lot of so called tuners change the throttle map only and then tell the customer that they now have more power.

The only M car I recall that the M button gave more power was in the E60 M5 and E63 M6
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #109
h-manuk
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So M boss is speaking out his a-hole then?
Probably a miss quote perhaps?

I am having my car on the dyno this week so can find out for sure whether the M button provides more power or not!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 07:35 AM   #110
LotusBoy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M, N55, KW's DDC

I think the M-boss means "More power in M mode than in normal mode for the same pedal input". Tuners found no significant power difference testing the 2 modes on the dyno ... It's a lot of marketing talk, IMO. Like when he speaks of different maps, he means throttle maps, not engine ECU map ...
Appreciate 0