BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-16-2014, 05:11 PM   #1
vertebra
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i vert

Garage List
Declining Dealer repair without promoting bad will

When I first got my CPO there were mechanical problems with the car that I noticed after delivery. I had to bring it back 6 times before it was addressed. My relationship with the service dept was less than ideal.
I have had exemplary service since then.

I hit a pothole a month ago and the brake and DTC light came on. Had an appointment I couldn't keep. Hit another one and it blew out the tire and cracked the rim. Had it towed to the dealer. $1200+ for a new front 264 rim tire and alignment. I spoke to my SA and told him I am going to buy a refurbished rim($135.00 on ebay). He was cool with me bringing in the rim and would charge me $700+ to mount the tire they provide and a alignment. Still seems pricey. Is there something special that needs to be done to align our cars? Will I be promoting bad will if I buy a tire on Tirerack and have it installed nearby and then bring it back for the brake/DTC light?
      01-16-2014, 05:33 PM   #2
uwood
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

That's outrageous.

No way would I pay that. I had my tire replaced (tire warrantee) and codes cleared for $180. Tire is about $225 normally. Mount and balance can be done anywhere. Code will probably go away by itself. ( I had a dead TPMS).
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 05:40 PM   #3
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

Hide your credit card.

You can get an OEM tire from TireRack for a lot less than that. Probably get the tire the next day.

If the TPMS light is on, it'll clear itself or you can reset it manually.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
JPodo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i AW 6MT

I have heard of people saying to get it aligned at the dealer and I recently got mine done at a local BMW dealer. The cost for the alignment was around $100 with tax, so that is very high given that you are providing a rim and tire.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 06:11 PM   #5
Overpar56
Rep

A new RFT from Tire Rack is about $250.

I'd find a new dealer.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 06:20 PM   #6
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
run from them, man!

you can get the tire mounted anywhere. a runflat tire, as mentioned here, should be $250 tops. you can also find good shops that do great alignments. See if there are any BMW specific private repair shops and call them to find out where the best place is to get an alignment.....or use the regional forums here.

wheels and tires are not a part of any CPO repair coverage----so don't worry in doing what you need to do!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #7
BimmerE82
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i Sport package

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [7.00]
That's nuts!!! I fell prey to the stealership for an alignment one time! $250.00!! never again. Spend your money wisely somewhere else! A fool and his cash are soon parted.........
      01-16-2014, 07:13 PM   #8
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertebra
When I first got my CPO there were mechanical problems with the car that I noticed after delivery. I had to bring it back 6 times before it was addressed. My relationship with the service dept was less than ideal.
I have had exemplary service since then.

I hit a pothole a month ago and the brake and DTC light came on. Had an appointment I couldn't keep. Hit another one and it blew out the tire and cracked the rim. Had it towed to the dealer. $1200+ for a new front 264 rim tire and alignment. I spoke to my SA and told him I am going to buy a refurbished rim($135.00 on ebay). He was cool with me bringing in the rim and would charge me $700+ to mount the tire they provide and a alignment. Still seems pricey. Is there something special that needs to be done to align our cars? Will I be promoting bad will if I buy a tire on Tirerack and have it installed nearby and then bring it back for the brake/DTC light?
Lol what
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 09:50 PM   #9
vertebra
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i vert

Garage List
Thanks everyone. I thought $1200+ for a wheel, tire and alignment seemed outrageous. I also thought $700+ seemed equally outrageous for just a tire and an alignment. So I am going to drive over pick up the car drive it locally on the runflat to a tire shop(there is one that Tirerack deals with that only works on BMWs that has good reviews) then drive it back to the dealer to get the brake/DTC dummy lights checked out. Can the dealer charge me for looking at the wheel?

Posted from 1addicts.com App for Android
      01-16-2014, 10:09 PM   #10
Overpar56
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertebra View Post
Thanks everyone. I thought $1200+ for a wheel, tire and alignment seemed outrageous. I also thought $700+ seemed equally outrageous for just a tire and an alignment. So I am going to drive over pick up the car drive it locally on the runflat to a tire shop(there is one that Tirerack deals with that only works on BMWs that has good reviews) then drive it back to the dealer to get the brake/DTC dummy lights checked out. Can the dealer charge me for looking at the wheel?

Posted from 1addicts.com App for Android
Stealerships charge for more things than airlines do. I'd find another dealer to work with. The same place you take to get the car aligned might be able to reset the light.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 10:20 PM   #11
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
My dealer did an alignment for $80 out the door. I'd replace the tire, have whoever mounts it to take a look and make sure nothing else is damaged and drive it for a bit. If the lights go away and there is no pull or abnormal wear on the new tire I probably wouldn't even get an alignment. I lowered my car an inch and got my alignment checked to see if it went out at all, since I put the springs in myself and was really wrenching on some stuff. It cost $35 to check it and nothing was out of spec.

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0