BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-14-2009, 01:30 AM   #23
M3Armand
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
Yeah, it was a good article to read, but it did have an Dinan advertisement feel about it. Just like the article about exterior care--sponsored by Grigot's Garage--a month or two ago. It would be interesting if they tried out other tuners' offerings for the 135i.

Truth be told, the only part of Roundel that isn't hit or miss is Mike Miller's tech letter section. That section is always golden.
For every 1 "other tuner" article, there's probably 3 Dinan articles. It's a sham and is the most embarrassing part of belonging to this "unbiased" club.

Also, regarding "398 hp"...they probably forgot to mention that I bet they had super frigid air blowing at the front of the car at 100 mph while they were doing the dyno... NONE of Dinan's hp claims on any of their cars EVER match up with any "industry" standard dynos... buyer beware...

And as for their so called "warranty"...do a search and judge for yourself if the Dinan premium price is worth it.
2008 BMW X5 4.8i, Black Sapphire / Saddle Brown
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 05:38 PM   #24
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Yeah, few people have been able to attest on their own the Dinan claimed numbers. Steve claims it is lack of air in the dyno rooms that account for the shortage (he actually uses 2 huge blowers that are put in huge Manhattan high-rises believe it or not).

If anything, he does have a great technical white paper on dynoing, it is worth the read as it makes good arguments. Attaching here:
Attached Files
File Type: doc Dinan White Paper on Dynoing.doc (576.5 KB, 119 views)
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 05:51 PM   #25
M3Armand
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
...Steve claims it is lack of air in the dyno rooms that account for the shortage (he actually uses 2 huge blowers that are put in huge Manhattan high-rises believe it or not)....:
Yeap... you can get super high HP readings either from:
1) shoving an "unnatural" amount of air into the air ducts making it have a high "ram air effect"... or I prefer the more likely cause of
2) "creative calibration" of their dyno.

As he (Steve Dinan) once said, not in the exact quote, many, many years ago at a car club meeting where he spoke, "I can make my dyno read whatever I want... All I can report [in my brochures] is the information that I get from my dyno... NOT to be compared to any one else's dyno..."

So we're like, "Yeah, obviously."

Don't get me wrong, Dinan makes a lot of great parts...that should be priced about 40% of what they are truly worth. I just don't believe in how he and other tuners hide behind the blatant marketing misinformation that they themselves provide with the appropriate caveats...
2008 BMW X5 4.8i, Black Sapphire / Saddle Brown
Appreciate 0