BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-27-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
Bobby4499
Bobby
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 2010 335xi

Visnu Rev. 2 or JB3 PNP?

Good Morning everyone
I have a question that I hope a few members wouldn't mind giving their opinion on? I have a JB+ with the BT, and am going to either upgrade to the JB3, or am going to purchase the Vishnu Rev. II. Just to give a little backround, I have a sapphire black 2009 135i with Injen intake and the BMW performance exhaust. (Which I LOVE the sound of) I am not looking to track my car untill my warranty runs out. But I Love to drive, and extremely spirited! My major problem, even with the JB+ id getting all of that tq to the ground, and not feel the back of the car feeling Extremely squirmish. (is that even a word? Also, I am not interested in buying an LSD at this time. Anyway, any opinions between the two units would help me a great deall in deciding between the two. Lastly, I have a Stett true cold air intake for sale if anyone is interested. I decided that I would rather keep the Injen, then use the intake which could cause problems in Large amounts of standing water. Just quote me a price and we can go from there. I know I paid about $350 for the intake. Sorry for the Looong post, but I am really trying to figure out between the 2 sytems. Thanks and have a Great Day!!
-Bobby
      01-27-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
SIEN
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Oh dear, this may end in tears.

I'll give it a shot though.

Both systems are similar in terms of outright power, it's how they make it. V3 has access to more parameters so has more options (built in 02 sensor/code clearing/speed delimit/dash map switching etc) and should be smoother. JB3 is simpler, less features, and cheaper.

You'll get fevourish opinions of both, which sway from one is faster than the other, one is smoother than the other etc etc. Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one. You need to form your own opinion by testing them.

Each manufacturer allows you to test a unit and return with full money back. There is no other way to know for sure which you would like other than test them.

(also, if money is a factor, you have a JB+ which should allow you 100% upgrade coupon towards a Jb3)
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

I have a V4 rev2 for sale if you are interested
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #4
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Threads like these can get out of hand real fast for some reason. I am not sure why people cant just agree to disagree sometimes. The truth is you need to do your research on here. There are a million threads about each tune. They are both great tunes and both companies and the vendors that sell the tunes offer great customer service. You will be happy with either and both offer atleast a 14 day money back return program if you are not totally happy.

before this spirals out of control can I just say "Can't we all, just get along?"
      01-27-2010, 11:12 AM   #5
Bobby4499
Bobby
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 2010 335xi

Visnu

Hi,
Just out of curiosity, why are you selling the Visnu? Thanks.
      01-27-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
M3_Dust
Michelin Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby4499 View Post
I am not looking to track my car untill my warranty runs out.
but you are willing to void your warranty with piggyback computers? you may as well start tracking the car now, and you would be well served looking into a quality DME flash from a reputable tuner who knows how to tune a BMW without tricking the computer into doing things that it doesn't want to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #7
miro2296
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Montego Blue BMW 135i

BMW 135i/6 Speed/Montego Blue/Formula One Ceramic Tint/JB4 G4/AA Sport Intercooler/19 inch Iconz 880Z(19X8.5 & 19X10)/PSS 225/35 & 265/30/E93 M3 front sway bar/TRW front and rear Control Arms/BMS Drop In Filter/Dinan Exhaust/BlackLines/Upgraded \\\M RSFB
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
Sal@AUTOcouture
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E36 M3

They're both great products, it really just comes down to doing your research and seeing which works better for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #9
SIEN
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby4499 View Post
Hi,
Just out of curiosity, why are you selling the Visnu? Thanks.
Guessing that was for me as I sell both...

There is a place for both tunes and they usually appeal to different people.

The V3 has everything bundled together in one smart package. It is pricier, but then it is an advanced piece of hardware. It is a great piece of kit for playing with also and the tuning itself is great in the latest incarnation (a free upgrade).

The JB3 as a piece of hardware is quite basic, but you are essentially buying the tuning written by Terry Burger, his great support service and update policies - for less than most other tunes.

As for flash tunes (of which, ironically, I have most experience) - you can have good and bad... it depends on the tuner. In most cases they will use a source file, purchased seperately. Not bad if they know their stuff and can evaluate a good file. Most can't - so only buy from reputable tuners with history in the marque.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #10
rock1t
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

LOL
this reminds me of one of those 'nikon' versus 'canon' posts on the photography forums.. Starts off fine, then degenerates rapidly.
Maybe i request the vendors to pitch in and provide an unbiased opinion?!

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 02:29 PM   #11
SIEN
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock1t View Post
LOL
this reminds me of one of those 'nikon' versus 'canon' posts on the photography forums.. Starts off fine, then degenerates rapidly.

I've tried! lol. Both are good and have no real bad points, so any arguments are caused from opposing camps and those defending their choices.

Try both, choose one, send other back.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #12
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Dust View Post
but you are willing to void your warranty with piggyback computers? you may as well start tracking the car now, and you would be well served looking into a quality DME flash from a reputable tuner who knows how to tune a BMW without tricking the computer into doing things that it doesn't want to do.
You don't have to use a piggyback that tricks the DME into doing things it doesn't want to do... use a piggyback like the PROcede v4 that talks on the canbus and reads over 200 parameters and fully controls boost at a high level of control like any current flash out there.... then just pop it out in minutes whenever you don't want the tune in the car... its the best of both worlds.
From the PROcede's lead programmer, adrian:
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian@vishnu View Post

With the V4, the Procede uses the CAN data to provide the DME with EXACTLY what it wants to see (straight away with next to no delay) with no need for PID controller to try and find eventually what it wants (meanwhile the throttle reacting to the PID). The PID in the V4 is a direct control of the boost and can work in isolation without having to worry about keeping the DME happy. It provides the capability for us to push the bounds of what the mechanical hardware can do without having to worry about the DME preventing us from doing something the mechanical hardware is prefectly capable of handling.

Adrian
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 03:37 PM   #13
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Look you have to try the 2.0 first before making any decisions. It is a totally new ball of wax. Everyone who is in the beta test program loves it and noticed a big difference over the last 1.4 version which was already damn good.
      01-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #14
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

I would just get both and run 30 psi boost.
      01-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #15
protium
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
LOL

Request granted.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 10:09 PM   #16
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
LOL

You want fair and unbiased? Ok here is my unbiased opinion....If you are that worried about warranty or engine life then do not buy any tune and you will never have to think about it. Otherwise buy both tunes and try them both for a week then send one back that you hate more than universal healthcare. There, that is fair and unbiased
      01-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #17
Sal@AUTOcouture
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E36 M3

The truth is, for the average buyer that doesn't really care about all the crazy things 1 piggyback can do over the other, it comes down to cost:

JB3 $579 ($859 with Bav Tool...all procede guys bitch that we don't add this in the math, since the procede has it built in)
Procede $945

Mostly comes down to dollars and cents.....figure out how much you want to spend and I guarantee you, you'll enjoy whichever tune you choose.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 01:03 PM   #18
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Yea, except that even if I had a procede, I still couldn't see myself without the BT.. it's just awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoCouture View Post
The truth is, for the average buyer that doesn't really care about all the crazy things 1 piggyback can do over the other, it comes down to cost:

JB3 $579 ($859 with Bav Tool...all procede guys bitch that we don't add this in the math, since the procede has it built in)
Procede $945

Mostly comes down to dollars and cents.....figure out how much you want to spend and I guarantee you, you'll enjoy whichever tune you choose.
      01-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #19
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Actually the JB3/Bt combo is 699 since you can get the 1 vin BT tool so it is even better savings

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoCouture View Post

Procede $945

01-28-2010, 01:57 PM   #20
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

I have both and V4 is something that has to be felt to belive its awesome. But either tune is great and you will love it. I would definatly get the bt tool with any tune you get it is one great tool to have.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #21
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Try both and see which one you like.

If you are price sensitive or on a budget then the JB3 is definetly your answer as it will hold its value much better, has much better customer service/support for trade-ins and upgrades.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #22
MFIZZLENYC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10m5

Ahh thats why their is Dinan good hp results and if any problems just press your SOS button and wait for the tow truck to bring your car to the dealer and get a loaner... No need for removing Warranty voiding stuff on the side of the road LOL Unless your GF or wife is impressed with your mechanical ability to work in all types of weather If anything major goes no matter what bt cable you have their are hidden codes that only BMW NA can see(your Dealer cant) but if they send a tech like when you need new turbos or a motor your done!!!! yeah there are laws that help you but good luck with fighting with BMW

BTW if the JB3 and procede and vishnu were so good BMW would recognize them and they could do as Dinan does... and BMW would sell it at their dealerships

Message for all tuners DO What Dinan Does... which is picking up any cost that is related to their tuning or products If you think your tune is so great put your money were your mouth is!!!! and stand behind your tune with a parts and labor warranty
Appreciate 0