BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-31-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

OK guys, i would like to add a catback exhaust to my car. I really love this car, but it could stand to have more growl IMO.

I do want the following

-good fitment
-around 3k or less price (higher to me is not adequate value)
-not too loud
-deletes secondary cats

I do not want the following

-poor fitment / tough install
-overly loud
-ugly design

So, at my price point, i have narrowed it down to 3 options (please let me know if there is a good option i am missing)

-Eisenmann sport with midpipe
-Vorsteiner full exhaust (stainless)
-milltek full exhaust

I really liked the sound of the vorsteiner from the video on EAS's website, but i am afraid its too loud and there is very little feedback on this forum. Does anyone have experience with more than one of these?

I also like the sound of the supersprints i have seen online, but cant seem to find how to get one in the USA. And obviously akra sounds nice, but the price IMO is insane.

Any and all feedback would be great.

I currently have a miesterschaft midpipe on the car, and plan to part that out as soon as I figure out what to replace it with.

EDIT : right now my top two are vorsteiner and milltek. I always liked how milltek sounded on audis..

Last edited by Black Gold; 01-31-2013 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

All I can say is if you liked Supersprint sound then you'll like the Evolve Race too, since it is indeed Supersprint Race for 1M made for Evolve UK. It fits every criteria you mention and you shouldn't have any problems to import it from UK to US. I imported it easily to Chile after all but ended up paying quite an amount of taxes due to tax system here, should be much less for US. Evolve gets great transport quotes as well as an amazing price for the exhaust, it arrives in just a few days to destination. You better mate it with either Maddad or N55 but if you are not after too loud then you'll probably be safer to go with N55 like I did or maybe with stock mids even. Read my relevant threads about the details and believe me it just gets better and better. In short, it gets loud, really barking, deep and sporty noise when you kick the gas and pass over 4000 rpm, below 3500 to 4000 or if you are gentle with the throttle it is really not too loud, a loveable double personality I would say. It is deeper and burbling at all rpms, with minimal drone compared to stock and noticeably better response and high rpm revving, just zings to limiter. Fits like a glove with zero issues as well. Quality seems without any issues but don't expect a visual vow element like an Akra. I guess for half or 1/3 of Akra price you could easily live with that, it looks much better than stock and muffler itself is much smaller and less visible from outside too. I got respectable increase in whp and wtq as well without any tune.

You can stay relatively quiet with it in city driving if you want to, but cold starts are louder than stock. Stock was not bad at all at cold start too.

I didn't experience any downsides of this set up yet, it is my favourite mod together with PSS set, they totally transformed a very good car into a great one.

One problem: I don't know if any left for sale from Evolve, better contact with Imran or somebody else from Evolve and don't be shy to ask initial group buy price if you are interested. It took me almost a year to buy one and now I am feeling what was I thinking!

The other alternatives you mention I don't have any first hand experience so I can not comment but they all sound good from videos.

Among all 1M exhausts my favourites are the one that I chose of course, plus Meisterschaft and Lightweight Titanauspufflangen. I like the Akra sound in general too but only if it comes with dps and if I wouldn't pay it myself
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 01-31-2013 at 08:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Remus is another good option IMHO

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=606967&page=5
      02-27-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
EVL1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Project 1k 135i

I did 3 inch from the cats to the stock muffler and it sounds great. Not overly loud at all. At idle you can hear just a bit of a difference in sounds. When you actually open her up, it sounds great. Nice deeper growl on the stock muffler. I'm gonna be removing the muffler this weekend and see what it would sound with straight pipes. Just want to get a feel for how it's gonna sound when I do my custom quad tip. No actual name brand for anything, it was all custom made, 3inch and mandrel bends where bending was needed.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 01:58 AM   #5
1swift1
I pass gas for a living.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Wish I could make a video clip for you, but...

I'm stuck overseas for awhile longer. However, I'm happy with my current set up.

I use the Berk mids with the Eisennmann sport axle back (purchased that used). For less than $2K, I feel like my car can breathe better and the sound is nice too. It's actually subtle (the change in exhaust note), but I think there is a bit more bass at idle and in the lower RPMs. At higher RPMs, it really is not much louder than stock (I would actually be OK if it were 5-10% louder, but I bet my neighbors are happy).

The exhaust tips are an improvement, and I think I'm saving weight, but couldn't quote numbers.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
EVL1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Project 1k 135i

Is it just me or are out current mid pipes titanium? Once I cut them I could not weld to them again no matter how much I tried heating them up. I ended up clamping the new pipes to them. The pipes were light as hell too
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
Cal@Sonic MS
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
+1. Feel free to reach out to me if you'd like some pricing OP
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
alpinewhiteone
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

I bought the Active Auotwerke muffler delete axle back. Check out you tube. For less than $700 you can not beat the sound.
Appreciate 0