BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
matacuero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135I Stage 2 Dinan

Transmission torque rating- your inputs

200 BMW 135
I was underneath my car changing my exhaust out and found a leak from my differential. Everything to the rear of the leak was coated with fluid of course. Went to the dealership today and they will be replacing the seal for free, I am at 49,785 miles (fortunate I found it).

Anyways, 2 weeks ago I went to the track and ran an 11.76 on E85/93 (40%/60% mix). I am FBO minus stock midpipes. But my car ran amazingly fast on stock turbos, no meth, street tires, etc so I figured that I have to be pushing a minimum of 400RWHP. My reasoning is due to my trapspeed of 120 mph, 60ft time was 1.94 but still had ET of 11.76.

Will dyno my car at the earliest opportunity to determine the exact HP but does anyone feel that the torque output somehow caused that leak to occur? Car was not leaking before. Worried that this transmission will not handle this power consistently. Any oppinions? Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
I mean obviously a more powerful car is more likely to break things or cause leaks, but usually if something is going to fail because of too much power... it breaks. Leaks usually are caused by faulty seals or seals wearing out. Likely your leak is nothing more than a fluke. This is assuming of course the leak is at a seal or connection point on the diff rather than a crack.

Also, what makes you think the trans won't hold your power because your differential is having a problem?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
matacuero
Private First Class
Rep

Just trying to get opinions that's all. Makes sense that something handling more torque than it's rating would create a crack, abnormal wear which would make noises, clunking, or abnormal heat, etc, not just a leak due to a seal. Thanks for your input bro.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

I have to agree, too much torque or power is going to destroy a clutch, tear up gear teeth either in the transmission or differential or break a half shaft.
A seal usually leaks from excessive heat, too much pressure or failure of the housing it is sealing.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 06:52 AM   #5
gmane
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Sorry your car is a 2008 or 2009? And at 49K miles with FOB your dealer will replace stuff for free?! That is great where's you're dealer I need to take my car there. I tend to agree with the other comments too much torque would destroy something ate you manual or AT tranny? With an AT you'd feel slipping with too much torque.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #6
matacuero
Private First Class
Rep

Automatic 2009 135 @ 49.7K miles. What happened was that I decided to go with a maddad whisper exhaust because the fitment of the active autowerke was not up to par. I got underneath to replace the exhaust and saw a drip comming of the differential (ball) and from their back, most of everything was coated.

Took the car to the dealership, they checked it out (took about 1.5 hours), they removed the diff cover and came back and gave me documentation (they didn't have the seal in stock) stating that they would be replacing this free of charge. I also got them to aggree to replace the rear pads 1 last time. So I lucked out.

It was funny because I had gone to the track and had done a few burnouts there prior to the runs, car was full of burnt rubber so I had to clean all of that up (was afraid they would have told me that it was due to my abuse). Anyways, I have had good experience with the exception that they tried to deny my last 45k oil change and spark plug change because I wasn't getting the "service code" although their records showed that I had not had this service yet. Anyways, thanks for you guys' input
Appreciate 0