BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-24-2008, 02:58 PM   #23
boostin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY00 S2000

evo instead of 135i cons (in my opinion):
- 4-door < 2-door
- awd < rwd
- no sunroof < sunroof
- 3388 lbs. < 3370 lbs. :biggrin:

and finally....

- mitsubishi < bmw

-Chris
MY00 S2000 #8712
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 03:00 PM   #24
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper View Post
my miata tiped the scales at 2100 lbs (it had almost nothing left in it!) and it had 170 hp. My miata was blistering fast, and if you are really serious about racing, a miata is the way to go. they are extremely cheap, and extremely tunable (not to mention there are alot of racing series for them). My new toy is a 2001 Viper GTS ACR, and that car is a handfull on the track (no abs and no traction control). If you really want to learn how to drive a car, buy a Viper, it is the closest thing to a race car. But I want an everyday car that can double as a fun track car.

If you want an everyday street car and weekend track warrior then I think 135i edges out over the Evo X. Evo is more spartan than the 135i, but would make a better dedicated track car. BMW is always more civilized than its japanese counter parts. 135i's suspension is softer than I expected until I hit my first dip yesterday, man it looked small but it felt huge.
      03-24-2008, 03:07 PM   #25
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

I rode in the 2007 SCCA Solo National Championship B Street Prepared Mitsu Evo 9 and that car/driver combo is, IMO, unbeatable in that class. It was a brutal, scary 60 second ride that I was happy to depart and turned down a second ride offer. My 3 time Regional Champ B Street Prepared E36 M3 was not in the same universe as the Evo. The launch and corner exit grip was phenomenal!

That said the M3 and I did beat a passed National Solo Champ Evo car in a regional event which was driven by a less experienced pilot (not original owner). Autocross is as much about the driver as the car.
      03-24-2008, 03:30 PM   #26
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1973 Porsche 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted View Post
evo instead of 135i cons (in my opinion):
- 4-door < 2-door
- awd < rwd
- no sunroof < sunroof
- 3388 lbs. < 3370 lbs. :biggrin:

and finally....

- mitsubishi < bmw

-Chris
No real argument there except you left out the best parts for the BMW:

4cyl < 6cyl
5speed < 6 speed

BUT, I totally disagree about the sunroof (hate them, especially for the track where headroom (helmetroom) is key and the new EVO X's AWD system is not the usual understeer-inducing affair (quite the opposite - it causes a gentle controlled oversteer slide at the limit)
      03-24-2008, 03:38 PM   #27
Impulse
BMW ONE
Rep
Drives: 93 RX-7 R1, 135i

Garage List
The 1 has really good head room won't be problem for helmets.
      03-24-2008, 03:50 PM   #28
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1973 Porsche 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse View Post
The 1 has really good head room won't be problem for helmets.
Not true for me. I'm only 5'11" and could never make it with a helmet. I have only 30" inseam and long torso. I drove one and there was very little headroom for me (sunroof delete would solve the problem, but not offered in USA).

Maybe you're impressed with the 135i's headroom since you're comparing it to your RX-7 Turbo - one of the few cars with less headroom (but a great car to drive):wink:
      03-24-2008, 03:55 PM   #29
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

If my car wouldnt be on the way I might have went the STI way. Many people buy a car because of the name. I dont care if the fit and finish is not the same as an audi. Bmw interior are poor compared to other luxury cars(IMO). The EVO and STI are great cars...bulletproof cars nice Recaro interior, 300+ hp easily modable, 4wd . The main problem over here in Canada they get stolen like crazy. Youre lucky compared to most of us you can drive the car before buying it(135i) so go out and drive them. I like my 135i choice but when I drove the 335i what a toned down car. Will you keep the ACR or not if yes get the 135 if not maybe something more raw would be nice. I went for the stripper 135i(M-Packet) I wanted no sunroof but thinking about resale ...made me take it in the end. I guess its a matter of taste Im more into driving than I-drive nav stuff
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 04:13 PM   #30
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Raj,

One thing everybody seems to be forgetting is you will almost certainly HAVE to add an addional oil cooler. It will come with one from the fractory but from what I've read serious track 335 drivers are still having to do more to keep the temp under 300 deg.

Dinan, and I believe a couple others, already offer it for the 335 so the 135 can't be far behind. Here's a link:

http://www.dinancars.com/store/Engin...p-1-c-413.html
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 04:19 PM   #31
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
If my car wouldnt be on the way I might have went the STI way.
I dont think its too late. Why buy a car you dont want?? Was your deposit non-refundable?
      03-24-2008, 06:53 PM   #32
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
I dont think its too late. Why buy a car you dont want?? Was your deposit non-refundable?
No I mean I bought stuff for the car. Im not going to change my mind paperwork done and all. I love my future 135 but I was just pointing out that I bought the car for what it is twin turbo compact car with RWD(plus listening to an inline-6=orgasm) couldnt careless about the gizmos. Some people are pointing out that the car is a Bmw. The car could be a Hyundai(look at the new hyundai coupe v8+rwd) if it has to offer what I need why not.By the way youre s2k is a sweet car it was my dream car when I was driving my RSX-S but I couldnt justify driving a clunker in the winter and a nice summer car for the 3 summer months that we get here LOL All that to say that Im not brand loyalist at all Im always looking at the different options change is good. 1 addicts forum is a change from other forums where a lot of people buy cars for the bling or showing off Ive been lurking and reading around for a while didnt want to register so far I like it.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 07:08 PM   #33
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
No I mean I bought stuff for the car. Im not going to change my mind paperwork done and all. I love my future 135 but I was just pointing out that I bought the car for what it is twin turbo compact car with RWD couldnt careless about the gizmos. Some people are pointing out that the car is a Bmw. The car could be a Hyundai(look at the new hyundai coupe v8+rwd) if it has to offer what I need why not.By the way youre s2k is a sweet car it was my dream car when I was driving my RSX-S but I couldnt justify driving a clunker in the winter and a nice summer car for the 3 summer months that we get here LOL
Ahh okay. I appreciate you clarifying man. :smile: Thanks man. Yeah, the s2k bit me hard. I've never had a car this long. I feel like I should run her straight to 200k. I've already got 75k on her and not a single issue. I'm in FL and keeping the 135i and s2k would be a financial disaster at my age(22). Dont act like the 1 being a BMW isnt a perk!!! If Hyundai made the exact same car at the exact same price, which would pick???
      03-24-2008, 07:12 PM   #34
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
Ahh okay. I appreciate you clarifying man. :smile: Thanks man. Yeah, the s2k bit me hard. I've never had a car this long. I feel like I should run her straight to 200k. I've already got 75k on her and not a single issue. I'm in FL and keeping the 135i and s2k would be a financial disaster at my age(22). Dont act like the 1 being a BMW isnt a perk!!! If Hyundai made the exact same car at the exact same price, which would pick???
The Bmw for the resale value.People always ask me what I drive I answer by the model designation I never mention brands. One other point is that Bmw take their customers for granted most of them have no clue what theyre driving, Ive been working in the car industry for the last 7 years. Put a Bmw or audi or mercedes badge people will still buy it. In canada Bmw resale value is insanely high 40K for an 2003 M3 while you guys can get them for 25 or so.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 07:14 PM   #35
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
The Bmw for the resale value. One other point is that Bmw take their customers for granted most of them have no clue what theyre driving Ive been working in the car industry for the last 7 years. Put a Bmw or audi or mercedes badge people will still buy it at a high price. In canada Bmw resale value is insanely high 40K for an 2003 M3
Aint that the truth!! When the dealerships dish it out, I send it right back.
      03-24-2008, 10:31 PM   #36
3ztt
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
Raj,

One thing everybody seems to be forgetting is you will almost certainly HAVE to add an addional oil cooler. It will come with one from the fractory but from what I've read serious track 335 drivers are still having to do more to keep the temp under 300 deg.

Dinan, and I believe a couple others, already offer it for the 335 so the 135 can't be far behind. Here's a link:

http://www.dinancars.com/store/Engin...p-1-c-413.html
I'm sure we could expect AA to pop one out, and for cheaper. They already have it for the 335i

http://www.activeautowerke.com/store-main.aspx?menu=2
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 10:49 PM   #37
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ztt View Post
I'm sure we could expect AA to pop one out, and for cheaper. They already have it for the 335i

http://www.activeautowerke.com/store-main.aspx?menu=2
That link refers to AA's very nice FMIC, not an oil cooler.