BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-02-2010, 12:30 AM   #1
RXC135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 Blue Water 135i Coupe

Coolant light and limp mode with altitude change

Just finished a drive which took me to Denver resulting in two warning lights being shown in short order. My '08 135i has not flashed a error before but within the night of arriving I received a limp mode light after a good bump in the road and resolved after a restart...I chalked that up to an O2 sensor being unhappy because of the altitude change. The next morning I started up and received a coolant warning light; this time figured because I had parked on an incline that was the reason, shut down and restarted and the light resolved. The next night still in Denver I purposely parked on flat ground but again in the morning I started her to find a low coolant warning being flashed but this time it did not go away. I drove to the nearest gas station(~2 miles) and checked the coolant level manually. Unfortunately, even thought the engine temperature was no were up to operating temps the coolant came bubbling up when I opened it. I added some gas station brand 50:50 to bring it to level and drove it to my brother-in-laws where I parked it for him to give me a ride to the airport.

I realize I probably messed up with the gas station 50:50 coolant and plan to have the dealer do a full flush but does it make sense that the vehicle wouldn't be able to adjust for the altitude change? Any ideas what would cause the low coolant light and the temporary limp mode?

The dealer will soon be seeing my car to address these matters as well as the passenger window problems. I am really worried about the seeming meltdown my car had in a 48 period.

Thanks!
Chris
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
jmr_70
Private
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 135i, 325i

Similar problem here. Except that when I made a hard left turn the coolant light came on even though levels were fine. What did they find out with yours?
Appreciate 0