BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Coilover preference

I've always been partial to Bilstein coilovers to the exclusion of other brands. That means I may be missing out on a better option. So what do you prefer and why? My PSS setup on the E46 really worked out well for me. I lean toward having a suspension optimized for the track (not full race) and don't mind the compromised around town ride quality. In fact I like a stiffer 'round town...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Bilstein makes a solid setup, I had their PSS9 system on my E46 and was overall happy with the performance and comfort. My only gripe was that it was rather limited in height adjustment, I wanted to go lower but it did not have a large range of adjustment.

I went with the KW V2s for my 135 and have been extremely happy with the setup. It has a larger range of height adjustment and offers better performance over the PSS9s. I also find the KWs to ride smoother at higher speeds. The only advantage to the PSS10 system for the 1-Series are the adjustment knobs on the base of the shock for rebound. The KWs can be adjusted from within the engine bay at the front and either by removing the shock or by taking off the rear carpeting and adjusting it from the top of the shock. That makes the rears a tad more difficult to adjust but I have found with both coilover setups that once I dialed in the perfect height/rebound combo, I didn't touch it.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

KW's seem to consistently rank high no matter who I talk to. How about Ground Control?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Bilstein uses high pressure monotubes. In my experience, this results in a harsher ride compared to other designs.

Moton and Ohlins are awesome setups, but will run you twice as much or more than a custom Koni (IE TC Kline) or KW Clubsport option.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 05:39 PM   #5
SLO
Shane
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, RRS, LR4

The Bilstein setup on the E46 was a solid choice. However, KW put a lot of R&D into their setup for the 135i. I have heard that many of the other manufacturers simply modified their E46 parts to fit the 1er where KW redesigned specifically for our cars. Not sure how much truth there is in this but KW consistently gets solid reviews from everyone i have heard from.
Appreciate 0