12-22-2010, 10:37 AM   #23
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Yes, it does have somewhat to do with regulations. The stricter regulations are in Europe, which doesn't matter for the out of production Viper at this point. Bugatti is a part of the Volkswagen Automotive Group, so the high emissions of the Veyron are offset by the many small cars with low emissions that the VAG produces. Mercedes also has several small cars with low emissions to offset the bigger engines they make, but even they are moving to turbocharged engines to replace the big V8's.
BMW has a lot of small cars/small engines too. They can put as many turbos as they want to regular models. Just keep it away from the M cars...
      12-22-2010, 10:45 AM   #24
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Hey its the same scene from Hitler Fails OrGo!

lol that scene is the best. Nice Dub.

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #25
RäDIOCLäSH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: jb 135i

...this is brilliant.ROFLMFAO
Ya, maybe they can remap the ecu when the 1M goes into limp mode!
I can hear it now!....uuuh, sorry Sir we just received this service bulletin for your new M car.....but here's a loaner for the week.If anyone takes this spoof movie down from the site....well, then this is the END!!
this movie says it all!...someone is still thinking out there!
I'm taking this movie to my dealer....rounding up all the service people.....and they WILL WATCH!!!

2010 Jet Black 135i Sport Package
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #26
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
BMW has a lot of small cars/small engines too. They can put as many turbos as they want to regular models. Just keep it away from the M cars...
You are correct, but another reason for using turbos is the fuel economy. You have the power when you need or want it, and improved fuel economy over a bigger NA engine when you are cruising around town. I'm by no means advocating the death to bigger and/or high revving NA engines though.

If they hadn't based the 1M's engine off the N54, what other engine could they have used? I remember reading a couple of years ago the possibility of using the S54 engine, which would have been cool. If I recall, they decided against the S54 due to it "being past its useful life" and the greater tuning potential of the new turbo engines. If the S65 engine had been used, the costs of the "affordable M car" would have been greater, plus they would be stepping on the toes of E9x M3 owners.
      12-22-2010, 11:18 AM   #27
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
You are correct, but another reason for using turbos is the fuel economy. You have the power when you need or want it, and improved fuel economy over a bigger NA engine when you are cruising around town. I'm by no means advocating the death to bigger and/or high revving NA engines though.

If they hadn't based the 1M's engine off the N54, what other engine could they have used? I remember reading a couple of years ago the possibility of using the S54 engine, which would have been cool. If I recall, they decided against the S54 due to it "being past its useful life" and the greater tuning potential of the new turbo engines. If the S65 engine had been used, the costs of the "affordable M car" would have been greater, plus they would be stepping on the toes of E9x M3 owners.
Well, yeah the turbo is more power efficient but hey, we're buying an M car for what? For the feel of the engine (at least one of the main reasons). So why kill that engine feel with a turbo? That boggles my mind. No one wants 5mpg engine, but I don't think the S65 is horrible in terms of economy. I swear to God I woulnd't mind to have the same exact engine for the new generation M3, assuming it would be lighter.

I agree that it is hard to find another engine for the 1M... But then, why do they even have to make a 1M? Just call it 135is...
      12-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #28
dragon1761
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i SGM 08; 328i AW 14

lol. im sure hpfp will fail for the 1M as well. Nothing can stand the wratch of fuel pump failure.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 11:42 AM   #29
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Giulia QV

AWESOME!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fireman View Post
In case it wasn't posted before. I'm still getting one but this is funny!

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 11:48 AM   #30
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Well, yeah the turbo is more power efficient but hey, we're buying an M car for what? For the feel of the engine (at least one of the main reasons). So why kill that engine feel with a turbo? That boggles my mind. No one wants 5mpg engine, but I don't think the S65 is horrible in terms of economy. I swear to God I woulnd't mind to have the same exact engine for the new generation M3, assuming it would be lighter.

I agree that it is hard to find another engine for the 1M... But then, why do they even have to make a 1M? Just call it 135is...
And yet... you haven't DRIVEN this car with this engine right ? So what can YOU tell about how it FEELS?
And as you rightly mention... an M car does not begin and end with the motor. The car also has to have tremendous handling as well! If you look at the E92... it's actually a car with a GREAT motor, and so-so handling because it's so heavy.... The US E36 M3 had great handling but lacked on the motor side.... the Z4 M... well.. again.. great motor... but it's just not the best handling car on the planet.. it has to really be manhandled...

so indeed... the 1M motor doesn't live up to what internet critics want... but it does work well... and the handling of the car... that's the WOW.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 12-22-2010 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 11:54 AM   #31
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
And yet... you haven't DRIVEN this car with this engine right ? So what can YOU tell about how it FEELS?
Which car are you talking about? The 1M? I haven't driven, but I don't think I have to drive it to be able to tell you that it won't feel as good as an NA engine.
      12-22-2010, 11:54 AM   #32
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Yeah, rub it in.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #33
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Which car are you talking about? The 1M? I haven't driven, but I don't think I have to drive it to be able to tell you that it won't feel as good as an NA engine.

I'm not going to argue how an engine feels.. that's utterly subjective and pointless as far as I am concerned. If you feel like a naturally aspirated engine FEELS better.. well you are certainly are welcome to do so. I'm not even going to entertain that... I have a turbo car.... A Subaru Legacy GT ... similar to the STI.. The 1M motor does not feel peaky... or as HORRIBLE off peak as my Scooby. So.. perhaps your idea of a turbo car is one that feels great on boost only.... and that's not the case with the 1M. The car pulls strongly ALL THE WAY to redline... like a NA motor. It has so much torque across the range, that it never feels like it is NOT on the boil... unlike my scooby.

The 1M is incredibly fun to drive. None of the people that have driven the car (professional or otherwise) have complained that it isn't a naturally aspirated motor. And just because the car isn't what you want, doesn't make it " not an M car" . What I CAN tell you is that when I drove it, I was impressed. I loved it. I wanted one. I still want one.... I am working overtime so that I can buy one! If you prefer the E92 M3 and it's naturally aspirated motor.. or perhaps you prefer the E46 M3...... go right ahead... I'm looking forward to hunting down E46 and E92 M3s at local tracks with a 1M Personally.. I've eschewed the E46 M3 (too heavy, and steering is numb), the E92 M3 ( absolutely way too heavy... it's an M5 mini-me....). I couldn't afford an E92 M3 new anyway.... But I can afford a used E92 M3..... and I'll take a 1M over an E92 coupe... an E92 sedan would be tempting as a better all around GT...but not as a car that will be my primary car I take to the track.

Anyway... cute video...but it also has another point.... Were Hitler's ideas the best? I mean that's OLD SCHOOL too right? Isn't the video basically just saying... we like things OLD SCHOOL and we don't want to accept what's new ?

Is the 1M a " new school" response to cars like the Evo, STI and some of the other boost buggies out there? Perhaps.... but BMW is very proud of their twin turbo technology. they are developing more power and also becoming more fuel efficient.. .. and it's going to be here for years to come... get used to it..

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 12-22-2010 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 12:20 PM   #34
moveswiftly
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4, 135i

Garage List
2012 335iS  [0.00]
LMAO

Gone but not forgotten: Cayman GT4, M2C, 2011 135i, E83 X3 6MT, 2016 SO M3, 2012 335iS, 2010 135i and 2006 e90 325xi
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #35
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not going to argue how an engine feels.. that's utterly subjective and pointless as far as I am concerned. If you feel like a naturally aspirated engine FEELS better.. well you are certainly are welcome to do so. I'm not even going to entertain that... I have a turbo car.... A Subaru Legacy GT ... similar to the STI.. The 1M motor does not feel peaky... or as HORRIBLE off peak as my Scooby. So.. perhaps your idea of a turbo car is one that feels great on boost only.... and that's not the case with the 1M. The car pulls strongly ALL THE WAY to redline... like a NA motor. It has so much torque across the range, that it never feels like it is NOT on the boil... unlike my scooby.

The 1M is incredibly fun to drive. None of the people that have driven the car (professional or otherwise) have complained that it isn't a naturally aspirated motor. And just because the car isn't what you want, doesn't make it " not an M car" . What I CAN tell you is that when I drove it, I was impressed. I loved it. I wanted one. I still want one.... I am working overtime so that I can buy one! If you prefer the E92 M3 and it's naturally aspirated motor.. or perhaps you prefer the E46 M3...... go right ahead... I'm looking forward to hunting down E46 and E92 M3s at local tracks with a 1M Personally.. I've eschewed the E46 M3 (too heavy, and steering is numb), the E92 M3 ( absolutely way too heavy... it's an M5 mini-me....). I couldn't afford an E92 M3 new anyway.... But I can afford a used E92 M3..... and I'll take a 1M over an E92 coupe... an E92 sedan would be tempting as a better all around GT...but not as a car that will be my primary car I take to the track.

Anyway... cute video...but it also has another point.... Were Hitler's ideas the best? I mean that's OLD SCHOOL too right? Isn't the video basically just saying... we like things OLD SCHOOL and we don't want to accept what's new ?

Is the 1M a " new school" response to cars like the Evo, STI and some of the other boost buggies out there? Perhaps.... but BMW is very proud of their twin turbo technology. they are developing more power and also becoming more fuel efficient.. .. and it's going to be here for years to come... get used to it..
I agree that it is personal preference so there is not much point to discuss any further. Good luck hunting M3s.... for a few laps before you overheat j/k.

I don't have to 'get used to it'. I'm getting a V8 M3, and that will be my last M car and probably my last BMW.
      12-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #36
Mikeshot1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Sedona Red 135i Coupe

I thought about this as well. Other than the handling and look characteristics, for another 35bhp they could've called the 1M the 135is.

Isn't this the first M car that's turbocharged? Maybe new direction for BMW?

Quote:
Burger Tuning JB+, AFE intakes with scoops, Clear bra and headlight film, City Vision Lighting for DRL & PL Halo's (6 LED), 20% tint, BMW alarm, RHO-Plate, Burger Tuning 12mm spacers in front with 255/35/18 in rear with 10mm spacers, Nitrogen in tires, Black OEM surround kidney grills with chrome slots!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 12:29 PM   #37
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeshot1 View Post
I thought about this as well. Other than the handling and look characteristics, for another 35bhp they could've called the 1M the 135is.

Yes, first M car. But there is X5 M and X6 M as the first M trucks that use turbos.
      12-22-2010, 12:30 PM   #38
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:

except for the fact that they COMPLETELY reworked the suspension, and added an M differential... So.. it's a little beyond an IS badge.

And the first turbo charged M cars are the X5M and the X6M... and more to come.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #39
Mikeshot1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Sedona Red 135i Coupe

I forgot, same M3 rear suspension plus the M differential?

Quote:
except for the fact that they COMPLETELY reworked the suspension, and added an M differential... So.. it's a little beyond an IS badge.

And the first turbo charged M cars are the X5M and the X6M... and more to come.
Burger Tuning JB+, AFE intakes with scoops, Clear bra and headlight film, City Vision Lighting for DRL & PL Halo's (6 LED), 20% tint, BMW alarm, RHO-Plate, Burger Tuning 12mm spacers in front with 255/35/18 in rear with 10mm spacers, Nitrogen in tires, Black OEM surround kidney grills with chrome slots!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 12:40 PM   #40
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
No maybe about it. All M vehicles will soon be turbocharged. The next M5 gets a turbo V8 (similar to in the X5M and X6M) and the next M3 gets a turbo I6.

Furthermore, its not just M vehicles. Soon every single new BMW will be turbocharged.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 12:42 PM   #41
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
I forgot, same M3 rear suspension plus the M differential?
Front suspension as well. plus new shocks for the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #42
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

The only thing holding me back is HPFP. Can anyone chime in? If BMW guarantee buy back if pump goes I am in. Don't want to go through the costumer rep. and arbitration business again.
      12-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #43
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

So people get an engine tunable to +100hp over stock in an lighter body full of M3 parts, and they complain ? Does someone realize what such a car will do on a track ?

The N54 is a great engine and it wouldn't bother me even if I had to carry a spare HPFP in the trunk...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #44
HBspeed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 00 Z3MC, Boxster Spyder

Garage List
That video is perfection and true in every possible way!
Appreciate 0