BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-31-2011, 05:06 PM   #23
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

BWMNA is displaying quite an options 'prison regime' compared to other countries ... .

The premium package is pretty much all I wanted, just not the electric seats. Does anyone know if the manual & electric seat allow for the same lowest seating position or is there a height difference?

Finally I think Anti-theft should have been stand alone option.

Does anyone else miss the storage package (for non-Nav; My/every Nokia comes with pre-installed Maps)?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 05:51 PM   #24
Wiles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.5i MSport manual, 2020X3M

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [0.00]
EPIC FAIL BMW NA.

BMW claims they want us to order our cars rather than take out of dealer stock. Fine, but let us order what we want!
BMW claims and I have seen incredible flexibility in there manufacturing. Use this.

But nope, they pull this Honda/Nissan/Toyota order crap. If you want this option must bet that etc etc. Not cool not customer friendly not what I have come to love and expect from BMW.

I will not buy based only on the pkgs. I don't care about the price but I do want the car optioned to specs. Other have different desires etc.

No Joy in this.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 05:58 PM   #25
bayer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

The reality is BMWNA could have optioned these things out to the max for the US market and would have sold everyone of them. For such a low volume car, I think we are fortunate they are even letting them be ordered this sparsely. Could be worse!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 06:06 PM   #26
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Seat Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Does anyone know if the manual & electric seat allow for the same lowest seating position or is there a height difference?
Need to know this,... my electric vaders defn sat higher up than manual vaders. And I believe e9x M seats are the same. Even though I'd be gaining head room due to the lack of sunroof, I'd still want the lowest possible seating position.

(so I can lean waaay back and put one forearm on the top of the wheel while I mess w/ my switches w/ just the top of my head visible from the outside)

Mahlzeit
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 06:12 PM   #27
techthentic
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i, 370z

I went from manual seats in my e92 328i to auto seats in my e92 335i.
I dunno if I got some crap manual seats... but my auto seats allow for less than half the movement of my manual seats. For example, the manual ones could be reclined until the back of the seat touched the back seat; the auto ones can recline to a little past my position and nothing more...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 06:14 PM   #28
M2audioman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

So...based on what i think BMW's pricing structure will be with the options I want:

MSRP including Destination: $47,050
Valencia Orange: $550
ZPP: $2300
ZCV: $2900
Heated Seats: $500
Harman Kardon: $875

Total Price: $54,175

Not sure this car is worth $54K to me...I can get a pretty nice used M3 for that price. Now if I can get this car under $50K loaded, then it makes more sense.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 06:31 PM   #29
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If you are getting a 1M, think about why you want it, how you are going to pay for it, and how long you're going to keep it. If you are going to buy it and keep it for a long time (say 5 yrs min) and are buying it first and foremost to have fun driving, then keep the weight down, avoid excessive electric motors and trendy electronic gadgets.

Have you shopped cars of model years 2001-2004 lately? Those built in NAVs/stereos are just terrible. What about older cars that have CD players,.... and before that tape decks,... and before that 8-track! Today's gotta have it trinket is tomorrow's joke fodder. And besides playing the technology gadget SWAP game is much better suited to consumable (disposable) phones. And a hell of a lot cheaper.

If you are getting a loan and need to sell in less than 4 yrs, then get all the goodies, and treat your ride very nicely. And make sure to preserve your car for the second owner. You'll pay dearly and the car will depreciate like a rock anyway,... and with luck the idrive will still be relevant (when are touch screens coming?).

And if you lease - well do what ever you want and load it up until you can't afford the payments. BMW wants it that way so they can re-sell the lease returns as CPO, and gadgets help sell cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 06:31 PM   #30
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
So is the only change from what was speculated before just making 6FL standalone??? If so, boooo BMW.

Once again you are forced to either have a stripper, or an all out hog weighed down by 10 wortheless options when you only wanted 2...
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 07:51 PM   #31
bentone
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3/'79 911SC

A stripper it is...but I'm trying to figure out if I actually have to PUT THE KEY IN THE LOCK without comfort access. That would be ridiculous.

+1 on headroom with auto vs. manual seats - anybody have a definitive answer based on 135, etc.? At 6'5" it's already hard enough with a helmet on.

Random thought: that Golf R looks really interesting. I'm looking for an exciting semi-daily to slot between X5 and ancient 911SC. Couple extra doors might be nice if BMW screws the pooch on the 1M...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 08:08 PM   #32
muwarrior07
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit View Post
If you are getting a 1M, think about why you want it, how you are going to pay for it, and how long you're going to keep it. If you are going to buy it and keep it for a long time (say 5 yrs min) and are buying it first and foremost to have fun driving, then keep the weight down, avoid excessive electric motors and trendy electronic gadgets.

Have you shopped cars of model years 2001-2004 lately? Those built in NAVs/stereos are just terrible. What about older cars that have CD players,.... and before that tape decks,... and before that 8-track! Today's gotta have it trinket is tomorrow's joke fodder. And besides playing the technology gadget SWAP game is much better suited to consumable (disposable) phones. And a hell of a lot cheaper.

If you are getting a loan and need to sell in less than 4 yrs, then get all the goodies, and treat your ride very nicely. And make sure to preserve your car for the second owner. You'll pay dearly and the car will depreciate like a rock anyway,... and with luck the idrive will still be relevant (when are touch screens coming?).

And if you lease - well do what ever you want and load it up until you can't afford the payments. BMW wants it that way so they can re-sell the lease returns as CPO, and gadgets help sell cars.
+1

Word

I will not get NAV on a car I plan on keeping. Technology is changing so fast that in a couple of years that nav system is going to be a good joke for any of your passengers. I would rather buy a portable nav every couple of years.

To each their own.

Last edited by muwarrior07; 01-31-2011 at 08:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 08:25 PM   #33
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentone View Post
A stripper it is...but I'm trying to figure out if I actually have to PUT THE KEY IN THE LOCK without comfort access. That would be ridiculous.
That made me LOL, god forbid we have to start putting our key in the door to unlock it again.

Ahh, the things we become accustomed too.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 09:47 PM   #34
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by muwarrior07 View Post
I will not get NAV on a car I plan on keeping. Technology is changing so fast that in a couple of years that nav system is going to be a good joke for any of your passengers. I would rather buy a portable nav every couple of years.

To each their own.
You must not have priced nav units recently. One can buy a top of the line unit for about $259 and it will have maps and traffic updates FREE FOR LIFE. No need to buy a new unit every few years.

You are absolutely correct that a 5 year old Nav device is a joke. For one seventh the cost of an installed unit one can have a device that is always up to date, gives routing based on traffic and is portable should that be important.

My iPhone works well in a pinch, mapquest app does voice directions even but I agree with the person that posted that having an item on the dash or windshield is far better than a cel phone. And yes i know one can buy an expensive mount for their phone but for a savings of $1800 I'll pull my Tom Tom off the dash when I park.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 09:51 PM   #35
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335audioman View Post
So...based on what i think BMW's pricing structure will be with the options I want:

MSRP including Destination: $47,050
Valencia Orange: $550
ZPP: $2300
ZCV: $2900
Heated Seats: $500
Harman Kardon: $875

Total Price: $54,175

Not sure this car is worth $54K to me...I can get a pretty nice used M3 for that price. Now if I can get this car under $50K loaded, then it makes more sense.

Ouch. That 4k increase for the 135 and 1m models is a near deal breaker for you as well. I agree with you that at 47k I'm a lot less motivated to buy versus the 43k I was hoping for. Even a stripped model at 48k is a lot versus a loaded e9x m3 two years used.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 10:03 PM   #36
M2audioman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Ouch. That 4k increase for the 135 and 1m models is a near deal breaker for you as well. I agree with you that at 47k I'm a lot less motivated to buy versus the 43k I was hoping for. Even a stripped model at 48k is a lot versus a loaded e9x m3 two years used.
Something about paying over $50K for a 1 series irks me...even if it is an M model. I've always felt that M models are best purchased used about a year or 2 old. Unless of course the lease rates are attractive as they are on the M3 Convertible.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 10:21 PM   #37
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Think of what other cars you could get for 55k. BMW has made it very hard to want this car.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 10:47 PM   #38
1M Fan
SMSgt
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

Garage List
1012 F150  [0.00]
1971 Chevrolet Nova  [0.00]
2011 1M  [0.00]
IMO 55K is still a great buy. I would have to spend 70K on a Porsche or pay up for an M3 which I is bigger than I want. I'll get the 1M instead.

It would be nice if the option packages were arranged a little more consumer friendly.

I didn't see Homelink on the list. Is it available?

Last edited by 1M Fan; 01-31-2011 at 11:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 11:21 PM   #39
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

I dont understand the thought process.. it says 6NR must be ordered with ZPP and ZCV.. if thats the case then why list is as stand alone? Just include it in the package. AND why have 2 packages? If they are linked when ordering then shouldnt it just be one package??

Not that I would order 6NR but it seems idiotic to me

and +1000 on the I wouldnt want old outdated technology in my car. Has anyone seen what a first generation in dash navigation system looks like nowadays? Its beyond laughable, imagine having a HUGE grey box with CRT running DOS in your office today.

Last edited by Papethova; 01-31-2011 at 11:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 01:56 AM   #40
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Seriously, you can get a good Garmin for literally a tenth of what any automaker is going to charge you for their built-in NAV system...and when you're not using it (which for me is 99% of the time) it stows neatly in the glovebox.

I agree that if you're planning on keeping the car long term, opting for no NAV will lend it a more elegant, less cluttered, less dated, and timeless quality.

You will not have to put a key in the door, with or without Comfort Access. Keyless entry is a seperate option, and I believe is standard on all BMW's at this point. You will need to click the key fob, however - is that what you were asking?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 04:48 AM   #41
NPVPositive
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

I love listening to you guys whine about paying $55k for a 1M.

Here in Australia we are paying $110,000 drive away for the same car.

Some of that is luxury car tax and other government extortion, but BMW's base price for the vehicle before taxes is in the high $80's here. Just imagine what BMW's profit margin is on our cars!!

Clarkson on the 1M
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #42
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPVPositive View Post
I love listening to you guys whine about paying $55k for a 1M.

Here in Australia we are paying $110,000 drive away for the same car.

Some of that is luxury car tax and other government extortion, but BMW's base price for the vehicle before taxes is in the high $80's here. Just imagine what BMW's profit margin is on our cars!!
But what is the exchange ratio to USD? Whats minimum wage there? Average salary? Your salary compared to a US worker doing the same job? Rate of taxation by govt? Huge factors.... 110k versus 50k is dramatic, but weigh in those factors and the difference may not be so dramatic anymore.

Of course everything may favor your argument, I dont know what life is like in Australia, but you cant just compare MSRPs.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #43
1M Fan
SMSgt
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

Garage List
1012 F150  [0.00]
1971 Chevrolet Nova  [0.00]
2011 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
But what is the exchange ratio to USD? Whats minimum wage there? Average salary? Your salary compared to a US worker doing the same job? Rate of taxation by govt? Huge factors.... 110k versus 50k is dramatic, but weigh in those factors and the difference may not be so dramatic anymore.

Of course everything may favor your argument, I dont know what life is like in Australia, but you cant just compare MSRPs.
The Australian prices also include a hefty VAT which is not in the US price. All taxes in the US are added after the during the sale.

One other factor is the import tariffs in Australia are much higher than the US as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #44
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: MK5 GTI --> Cayman R (skip 1M)

You just can't compare the prices, there's a reason car prices are different. If I take the swiss price prediction for the 1M and convert it into US-Dollar, I'll end up with about 95k $. But it's not comparable.