BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
blueshark
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "transportation" for now

iPod and USB Adapter

Does anyone have experience with the iPod and USB Adapter, who could explain how well it functions with the iPhone? I have an iPhone 4, and would be looking to see phone contacts and playlists. Does it work well?

How does it differ from Smartphone integration? It looks like Smartphone integration is for cars equipped with iDrive, is that correct?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
1Mer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

I don't have any direct experience, only what I have learnt on the forums and talking to my SA. I also have an iPhone4.

I believe there are 3 different ways that you can connect an iPhone to the 1M

1) Phone Cradle. This communicates via USB & Aux to provide phone contacts, voice calls, playlists & deciphered AAC audio over the analog aux connection. The phones aerial is boosted by the external aerial mounted in the sharks fin

2) Bluetooth. This provides handsfree voice calls and display of contacts. It doesn't support the use of audio.

3) USB/Aux interface. Similar to 1) above but without the cradle and external aerial. This uses a Y splitter cable to connect from the iphone dock connector to both the USB & the Aux connectors in the center console. The usb controls the playlists & the Aux streams the music.

I've spec'd 2 & 3 together and intend to keep my iPhone in my pocket while in the car, using the wireless bluetooth connection for calls. For music, I'm going to use an old iPod that will be permanently installed in the center console connected to USB & Aux. This can be charged from the USB interface. Infrequently, I'll remove the iPod from the car and update it with new music from iTunes on my PC. If you use the USB only (i.e. no Aux connection) then only non-encrypted music (e.g. mp3) can be played via the iPhone/iPod
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
blueshark
First Lieutenant
Rep

Great info - thanks 1Mer.

Are you planning to get the nav display?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
analogue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, iX

Last September BMW made changes to both 6FL (iPod/USB) and 639 (Bluetooth) and I would assume the updated versions will appear in the 1M.

Specifically, you should be able to stream audio over Bluetooth and the iPod no longer uses a Y Cable so you have a direct digital connection.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
blueshark
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'm particularly interested to know if it's easy enough to live without the nav as far as playing music and going through playlists. Don't want to spend extra on nav, if the basic functionality works well.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
jhall1957
Captain
Rep
Drives: SE 46

[QUOTE=1Mer;8840848]
I've spec'd 2
      02-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #7
dmanges
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe

I've got option #3 in my M3 and a I HATE HATE HATE it. Somewhere in either the cable or the plug is a short and the music tends to fade in and out. Everything is good for a while then you hit a bump and everything sounds like it's in a well, bang your elbow on top of the armrest and it comes back. What a POS.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #8
1Mer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark View Post
Great info - thanks 1Mer.

Are you planning to get the nav display?
Not going for Navi/iDrive and no fin. You get playlists/contacts on the professional radio 2line display but it can be difficult to scroll through if you have lots of them
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanges View Post
I've got option #3 in my M3 and a I HATE HATE HATE it. Somewhere in either the cable or the plug is a short and the music tends to fade in and out. Everything is good for a while then you hit a bump and everything sounds like it's in a well, bang your elbow on top of the armrest and it comes back. What a POS.
Sounds like a loose connection. Yeah, they happen. The dealer can probably take care of that for you and you wouldn't hate your car as much. I had it on my 335 and now on the 135 and it works perfectly.
      02-07-2011, 06:07 AM   #10
1Mer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogue View Post
Last September BMW made changes to both 6FL (iPod/USB) and 639 (Bluetooth) and I would assume the updated versions will appear in the 1M.

Specifically, you should be able to stream audio over Bluetooth and the iPod no longer uses a Y Cable so you have a direct digital connection.
Hmmm, that's interesting! - but not what I was told by my local stealer when I was spec'ing my car (and I did interogate him on those specific points!). Time to pay him another visit

If true, then I wouldn't need the USB interface but I think I'll keep it in case my next phone isn't from Apple - they make great pocket computers & audio players but s**t phones: poor call quality & I often end up pressing buttons on the touch screen when it's against my ear.
Appreciate 0