BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

BMW Apps (6NR) info.

I ran across this info about BMW Apps on the BMW International web site.

Apps.

Endless opportunities: With apps for your BMW 1 Series Convertible you have a quick and straightforward way of extending the communication and entertainment functions with further, tailor-made applications.
More

Take another quick glance at your Facebook wall while out and about, read the latest tweets or listen in to your favourite Web radio station – apps for your BMW combine the flexibility of your iPhone with the operating comfort of BMW iDrive.

You simply install the desired app – “BMW Connected” for example – on your iPhone™ and then connect it via the USB interface with the iDrive of your BMW. The apps have been specially developed for the iDrive user interface. This allows you to operate all the functions for the selected app safely and conveniently using the iDrive Controller of your BMW.

The range starts with the “BMW Connected” app in the App Store (expected to be available from March 2011) and contains the following functionalities:
– Facebook
– Twitter
– Webradio

Additional apps will be available for you in future.
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Webradio sounds interesting.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Great, so girls can polish their nails, text, Tweet, and update their facebook profile all at once while driving!
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Yep I see this everyday here in Glendale. The spoiled little rich middle eastern girls here are looking at their phones more than the road. I almost get into accidents everyday, and I would be getting into accidents if I was not so alert to these idiots. The same goes for the spoiled little white girls in Westlake village, Thoudsand oaks, Brentwood, and Simi valley. I am getting really close to getting out of my car at stop lights and taking the phone from them and throwing it. They have no rights at all to endanger peoples lives just because they want to update the FB status with..."Going to school...Ugh, I hate having to do anything productive".

I am all for a law that states if you are caught texting it is an automatic 1 month suspension of your license, then you are on a probation of sorts for another 6 months that states if caught again in that 6 months you lose your license for a year. Honestly I could give a shit if they say they cant get to work or school. Their is public transport. Texting causes accidents and cost lives. We see it more and more every day. Tough laws are the only way to discourage people from using their phones while driving unless they have a hands free device.

My friend was almost killed by some girl who hit him while texting. She was more worried about him suing than if he was ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
Great, so girls can polish their nails, text, Tweet, and update their facebook profile all at once while driving!
      02-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
While we may be 99% males on this board, I swear I see over 50% of 3-series driven by females. Certainly BMW makes some consideration for this when designing new features and options.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFREAK View Post
Yep I see this everyday here in Glendale. The spoiled little rich middle eastern girls here are looking at their phones more than the road. I almost get into accidents everyday, and I would be getting into accidents if I was not so alert to these idiots. The same goes for the spoiled little white girls in Westlake village, Thoudsand oaks, Brentwood, and Simi valley. I am getting really close to getting out of my car at stop lights and taking the phone from them and throwing it. They have no rights at all to endanger peoples lives just because they want to update the FB status with..."Going to school...Ugh, I hate having to do anything productive".

I am all for a law that states if you are caught texting it is an automatic 1 month suspension of your license, then you are on a probation of sorts for another 6 months that states if caught again in that 6 months you lose your license for a year. Honestly I could give a shit if they say they cant get to work or school. Their is public transport. Texting causes accidents and cost lives. We see it more and more every day. Tough laws are the only way to discourage people from using their phones while driving unless they have a hands free device.

My friend was almost killed by some girl who hit him while texting. She was more worried about him suing than if he was ok.
A girl in Glendale just killed a guy when she hit him while she was texting.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #7
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: MK5 GTI --> Cayman R (skip 1M)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Webradio sounds interesting.
That's what I thought!

Anybody got more information on this? The website isn't very informative.
      02-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #8
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadair View Post

Apps.

Endless opportunities: With apps for your BMW 1 Series Convertible you have a quick and straightforward way of extending the communication and entertainment functions with further, tailor-made applications.
More

Take another quick glance at your Facebook wall while out and about, read the latest tweets or listen in to your favourite Web radio station – apps for your BMW combine the flexibility of your iPhone with the operating comfort of BMW iDrive.

You simply install the desired app – “BMW Connected” for example – on your iPhone™ and then connect it via the USB interface with the iDrive of your BMW. The apps have been specially developed for the iDrive user interface. This allows you to operate all the functions for the selected app safely and conveniently using the iDrive Controller of your BMW.

The range starts with the “BMW Connected” app in the App Store (expected to be available from March 2011) and contains the following functionalities:
– Facebook
– Twitter
– Webradio

A very appealing feature for those who have an iphone. I would like to know what usefulness such an application would have to drivers other than endlessly checking their facebook and their twitter accounts.

Will we be able to use this interface as an extension to the phone iteself? Can I use it instead of holding my phone in my hand....???
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 03:32 PM   #9
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadair View Post

Apps.

More

– Facebook
– Twitter
– Webradio

Yah, take a quick glance at your facebook wall and run anotehr car off the road... fan-tastic.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
Mirage
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6, Z4MC, X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenbrauezug View Post
Yah, take a quick glance at your facebook wall and run anotehr car off the road... fan-tastic.
Yeah, well at least your car will detect the collision so not only will BMW Assist call you, it will automatically send out a tweet about it too!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #11
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
Yeah, well at least your car will detect the collision so not only will BMW Assist call you, it will automatically send out a tweet about it too!

Posted from my 2012 BMW 135i
Augenbrauezug likes this.

Let me fix your post.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #12
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

Why not put TV on the screen as well? If it's going to work while the car is moving BMW might as well give us complete media entertainment to distract drivers. The Ultimate Driving machine has become something else with this BMW Apps thing. I'm very surprised BMW's attorneys let this project get by them.
      02-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #13
1M Fan
SMSgt
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

Garage List
1012 F150  [0.00]
1971 Chevrolet Nova  [0.00]
2011 1M  [0.00]
My Mercedes has an app that allows me to lock, unlock, get alarm alerts and other info. The newer models allow remote starting from the smart phone. There are some useful features. Will BMW allow you to stream Pandora via Bluetooth audio? I hope so. It is really handy in my 40 year old Chevy.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #14
MyCorvette
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 750i

Car apps for driver:

Audio/acoustic entertainment - yes.

Video/visual entertainment - no.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #15
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
while I could careless about FB and twitter, the web radio sounds pretty cool

I also read somewhere that the iPod controls were improved so it was more like controlling an actual iPod thru iDrive
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #16
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Not an M1!)

BMW has mangled the cupholder option to the point of comedy lately. But I had accepted it because I was under the impression that true drivers, and the engineers who design cars for them, wanted FULL attention on the road. Not drinking coffee or messing with the newest flashy, shiny thing in the cabin.

This App option couldnt be more wrong.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #17
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

Cupholders and these apps are not about using them while driving.

They are about taking a break on a parking lot, or drive-in, and using your BMW screen instead of iPhone, and eating your fries/coke without having to worry about your coke tipping over and destroying your thousand(s) dollar worth of sport-seats.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #18
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post

They are about taking a break on a parking lot, or drive-in, and using your BMW screen instead of iPhone, and eating your fries/coke without having to worry about your coke tipping over and destroying your thousand(s) dollar worth of sport-seats.
I would argue though, that anyone driving a new BMW likely can afford a smart phone. So why spend the money developing potentially hazardous systems that likely will not be frequently used. They will likely quickly become obsolete as technology advances.

That being said, the masses are all about more techno wizardry rather than a better driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 08:50 PM   #19
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

I tend to agree that adding Facebook, twitter and other future online apps to the car can only add to generally already distracted US drivers keeping them from paying attention to actual driving.

In a country like the US where in general drivers are already among the worst and most distracted drivers in the world concentrating on texting, eating, makeup etc. we don't need additional excuses to move attention away from driving.

Anyone in the US with a pulse can get a drivers license. Countries like Germany take several months of intense testing and costs of ~$1500 to get a drivers license. German drivers may have the discipline to use good judgment while using options like BMW Apps but in the US it scares the hell out of me!

BMW is actually advertising these new technologies as safer ways to do these things rather than doing them on the phones themselves while driving.

While I do think if you have the Nav option in the car and use an iPod, iPhone you will have full features available through the Nav screen which is nice, but do we really need a full home style infotaniment system in our cars?
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #20
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Not an M1!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post

Respectfully, that ^ is a company line. All these 'amenities' ARE being used while driving. Here in the US, I have seen WAY TOO MANY foolish drivers distracted by phone calls, eating, texting, makeup, teeth-brushing!!.... I have personally avoided many mishaps from these people - and it was because I had full attention on the road.

A trend like this is truly scary to me, just my opinion (and experience).
Appreciate 0