BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #1783
SuperCNJ
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 135i (N55)

^^^ Thanks 135Pats
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 04:46 AM   #1784
Tricki
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Hi guys, I have 135i n55... just want to share my experiences with Cobb v200 update...
I currently run PPK and when it comes to smoothness and sound from exhaust, it's awesome.
V100 maps my car was running fantastic with Cobb, since the v200 maps were released in November I have had nothing but trouble with throttle closures /boost etc..
Cobb has been awesome in terms of support but after many times of logging and adjustment of maps, it's yet to be rectified.
I have now gone back to my unmarried state and back to PPK ( shame map 0 stock map has been removed from AP ) really notice how good and smooth it runs when PPK is back.
Now awaiting to get a protune to see if can be fixed to a smooth delivery....
For me the Jury is out now for Cobb n55...
Will advise on the outcome in the next 7-14 days..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 06:37 AM   #1785
Turbmando
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

I am glad I am not the only one. I recently went from N55 PPK to V2.0 Cobb and I too suffer from throttle closures. From what I have logged, I experience a large hesitation/ throttle closure at 4,000 rpm. With this being my first tune, I am unfortunetly unimpressed.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 07:36 AM   #1786
Dboyz321
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I thought the cobb would override whatever inputs the ppk made unless you in married it or map 0. Is this not correct?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 07:44 AM   #1787
BavarianN54
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricki View Post
Hi guys, I have 135i n55... just want to share my experiences with Cobb v200 update...
I currently run PPK and when it comes to smoothness and sound from exhaust, it's awesome.
V100 maps my car was running fantastic with Cobb, since the v200 maps were released in November I have had nothing but trouble with throttle closures /boost etc..
Cobb has been awesome in terms of support but after many times of logging and adjustment of maps, it's yet to be rectified.
I have now gone back to my unmarried state and back to PPK ( shame map 0 stock map has been removed from AP ) really notice how good and smooth it runs when PPK is back.
Now awaiting to get a protune to see if can be fixed to a smooth delivery....
For me the Jury is out now for Cobb n55...
Will advise on the outcome in the next 7-14 days..
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Could it possibly be due to the PPK and not necessarily a N55 issue? I'm curious to know as I'm running the PPK on my N54 car and a little leery of mixing tunes. Ill be watching what develops with you, hope you get it straightened out quickly.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 10:30 AM   #1788
COBB Tuning
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

This shouldn't have anything to do with the PPK as we would overwrite the tables associated with pretty much anything the PPK changes. Some cars have particularly tight wastegates or BMW techs have over-tightened them to try to fix WG rattle. If you have throttle closures, you can use ATR to to make changes to the WG table or contact a pro tuner to make a map for you.

The process is reasonably simple to fix yourself. Make sure to log MAF Req (WGDC) and Boost Setpoint Factor as these are the axes for the WGDC table. In the log, locate the area where the throttle is closing, then reduce the WGDC values in that area (start by multiplying by 0.9). Log again with the new map and see if you need to pull out more or add a bit back in.

Another thing to note, make sure you have traction control completely disabled. The DME can also use throttle closures to correct wheel spin events.

-Josh
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 10:35 AM   #1789
COBB Tuning
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan.mac View Post
I haven't heard that before. ^

I'd like to know is Cobb ever going to chime in on some of the questions asked...
If you guys ever have questions, it's much easier to email or call the techs. I'm only one guy and its hard for me to answer everything on multiple forums while getting my projects done to further the platforms. We have several really good guys dedicated to getting you any info you need, just hit them up.

support@cobbtuning.com

-Josh
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 01:45 PM   #1790
BavarianN54
Banned
Rep

This is one of the the reasons I decided to go with Cobb when I get back from vacation in 3 weeks. Quick responses to customers issues in a thread demonstrates a company's respect for those who fork over their hard earned money for a product. Many don't give this kind of attention, a well staffed support line is comforting also.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 03:43 PM   #1791
syclone2032
Rep
Drives: 2011 USDM 135i

US spec N55 here (reimported to europe), standard (no PPK), accessport V3 with 2.00 maps; i have the same issues, stage 1 aggressive works for me (feels smooth but still has throttle closures according to the logs), with stage 1+ (i do have a FMIC) i have the same issues as described by the others (throttle closures below 4000, not a smooth power band above).
might be an easy fix with ATR, but, afaik, ATR for the N55 has not yet been released. i am impatiently waiting for it to sort the glitches out since the car feels really strong with the higher maps but jerky and with lots of throttle closures.
overall, i am still happy with the whole Cobb package including customer service.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 04:17 PM   #1792
COBB Tuning
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by syclone2032 View Post
US spec N55 here (reimported to europe), standard (no PPK), accessport V3 with 2.00 maps; i have the same issues, stage 1 aggressive works for me (feels smooth but still has throttle closures according to the logs), with stage 1+ (i do have a FMIC) i have the same issues as described by the others (throttle closures below 4000, not a smooth power band above).
might be an easy fix with ATR, but, afaik, ATR for the N55 has not yet been released. i am impatiently waiting for it to sort the glitches out since the car feels really strong with the higher maps but jerky and with lots of throttle closures.
overall, i am still happy with the whole Cobb package including customer service.
Ahh, if you have a N55, you'll have to wait a few more hours for ATR.

Should be released this afternoon or tomorrow at the latest.

BTW, the N55 does much better with throttle closures than the N54. It will close the throttle and ride exactly on the load request. If its not a major closure, its not necessarily a horrible thing. In fact most cars will have slight closures in the top end to keep the DME from throwing underboost codes (particularly easy on the N55). That being said, I'd of course prefer to make maps that have zero closures, but its hard to make that happen on an OTS map that is supposed to work on all cars in all conditions. ATR/ATP and/or a pro tuner will be your friend in the case where you want to make everything as perfect as possible for your particular car.

-Josh

edit: Thanks for the kind words. Glad to help you guys out as much as possible and I apologize when it takes some time to get a reply... during those times please feel free to contact the techs and they'll sort you out.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #1793
CGMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe Sport

Gotta love throttle by wire... throttle closing when I dont want it to would piss me off to no end with the exception of traction/stability control.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 02:51 PM   #1794
syclone2032
Rep

josh

thanks, i have already installed it

and about the throttle closures, below 4000 i have one spike with the DME closing the throttle to 43%, the car feels like being held back and at 4000 it almost jumps forward. and there are some minor closures towards the top end but aside from seeing it on the logs, the power band then stays smooth.

i will do a couple of runs on friday before the car goes into the garage for a differential swap. really looking forward to mess with ATR.

regards to tim who was always patient when i was asking for the N55 ATR again and again...

peter
vienna/austria
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 07:40 AM   #1795
135iNewb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Question for Cobb Tuning

Thanks for keeping a thread around to answer customers questions.

A couple years ago I bought an AP from Cobb for my 2008 135. I had about 20k miles on the car, and drove it pretty aggressively most of its life. After installing the Cobb and trying out the v101 and v201 maps, I had a HPFP failure a few weeks later. After replacing the hpfp, and continuing to run the tune, I began experiencing long crank issues within the first week. I removed the tune and sold the AP at 22k miles. I have 45k miles on the car now, and have not experienced any hpfp issues since.

I love the car, but cant drive it stock, knowing its potential. I am curious about the latest v4.0 tunes. When the dealer replaced my HPFP, they also reflashed my computer. I believe they said the flash makes the fuel pump prime the system when you use the key fob to unlock the door, solving the long crank issue.

I was just wondering if your tunes have ever, or do they now, incorporate this priming feature into them? Or should I ask, do your new tunes have any changes to them, that may help prevent hpfp failure issues?

I'm not trying to place blame on your tune for my failure. I understand that bmw has known issues with the fuel pumps, and I accept responsibility for increasing power output (with any tune), knowing it will demand more performance from the pump. I just want to be fully educated when/if I decide to purchase another AP and give the latest tunes a try.

Thank you

Last edited by 135iNewb; 01-30-2014 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 10:20 AM   #1796
BavarianN54
Banned
Rep

I'm on the verge of getting a V3 on my N54 car and curious about something, how does 10% ethanol gas blends affect any of the programmed tunes? Does that add a bit of cooling as well as a safety factor or affect the tuned car in in anyway?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 04:39 PM   #1797
syclone2032
Rep

@135iNewb:

i have this feature (the pump coming on when unlocking the car) and it wasn't affected by installing the Accessport/flashing the car with a Cobb map.

cheers
peter
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 05:35 PM   #1798
Mit_Boost
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iNewb View Post
Thanks for keeping a thread around to answer customers questions.

A couple years ago I bought an AP from Cobb for my 2008 135. I had about 20k miles on the car, and drove it pretty aggressively most of its life. After installing the Cobb and trying out the v101 and v201 maps, I had a HPFP failure a few weeks later. After replacing the hpfp, and continuing to run the tune, I began experiencing long crank issues within the first week. I removed the tune and sold the AP at 22k miles. I have 45k miles on the car now, and have not experienced any hpfp issues since.

I love the car, but cant drive it stock, knowing its potential. I am curious about the latest v4.0 tunes. When the dealer replaced my HPFP, they also reflashed my computer. I believe they said the flash makes the fuel pump prime the system when you use the key fob to unlock the door, solving the long crank issue.

I was just wondering if your tunes have ever, or do they now, incorporate this priming feature into them? Or should I ask, do your new tunes have any changes to them, that may help prevent hpfp failure issues?

I'm not trying to place blame on your tune for my failure. I understand that bmw has known issues with the fuel pumps, and I accept responsibility for increasing power output (with any tune), knowing it will demand more performance from the pump. I just want to be fully educated when/if I decide to purchase another AP and give the latest tunes a try.

Thank you
The Fuel Pump Prime is an OEM Feature (specifically it's the Low Pressure Pump), NOT at all unique to the COBB Software. If your car has been running fine, reinstall the COBB Shelf Maps, Data Log & make sure the car is running healthy. If it puts out some clean logs, look into PROtuning -- The increase in power and drivability will reassure you that COBB is the right product.

Results >
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 07:54 PM   #1799
135iNewb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by syclone2032 View Post
@135iNewb:

i have this feature (the pump coming on when unlocking the car) and it wasn't affected by installing the Accessport/flashing the car with a Cobb map.

cheers
peter
Thanks Pete!
      01-30-2014, 07:56 PM   #1800
135iNewb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit_Boost View Post
The Fuel Pump Prime is an OEM Feature (specifically it's the Low Pressure Pump), NOT at all unique to the COBB Software. If your car has been running fine, reinstall the COBB Shelf Maps, Data Log & make sure the car is running healthy. If it puts out some clean logs, look into PROtuning -- The increase in power and drivability will reassure you that COBB is the right product.
Yea, I know the prime is oem, just making sure it still primes once Cobb takes over.

Thanks
      02-06-2014, 07:42 AM   #1801
ONDEMAND
oooooo
Rep
Drives: with 3 pedals

Stage 2 Log Review DATAZAP

Would really love some input on timing and AF ratios.

2011 N55 | FBO | Cobb V2.00

First logs after DP install. Full 3rd gear pull and into 4th. Im easing into stage 2 tuning (thus sport map on 93) as I have always had a few degrees of timing pull (even on stage 1) and occasional misfire in cylinder 4 (although cyl4 timing is perfect in this log.) Have done walnut blasting and new plugs. since this log (stage2 sport) I have run stage 2 aggressive and stage 2+ sport without any misfires but no logs of that yet.

HOW DOES TIMING AND AF RATIO LOOK????

http://datazap.me/u/ondemand/n55-sta...&mark=2-73-123

Thanks fellas! I just want to make sure she is running healthy before I run stage 2+ aggressive!
      02-06-2014, 08:39 AM   #1802
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

@ondemand

Some minor noise but no big corrections. Timing curve is OK, nothing to write home about though. You have multiple throttle plate closures which is why your boost curve is no good, I would imagine that particular pull felt a bit odd and lumpy in terms of power delivery. AFRs are a little bit lean early on but not dangerous or anything like that, just takes a little longer to settle into OTS targts than I’m used to seeing. Nothing to worry about there though.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #1803
ONDEMAND
oooooo
Rep
Drives: with 3 pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
@ondemand

Some minor noise but no big corrections. Timing curve is OK, nothing to write home about though. You have multiple throttle plate closures which is why your boost curve is no good, I would imagine that particular pull felt a bit odd and lumpy in terms of power delivery. AFRs are a little bit lean early on but not dangerous or anything like that, just takes a little longer to settle into OTS targts than I’m used to seeing. Nothing to worry about there though.
Hey man thanks for taking a look.

Im easing into the higher maps with the goal of a pro tune in the near future, but want to get as certain as possible about the engine being happy first. Will start to log with stage 2 aggressive and then on to 2+!!!!

Before the DP (just FMIC | CP | Cobb Stage1 AGG) i was indeed getting uneven boost which looked like throttle closures in my prior logs. With the DP and stage 2 maps the boost feels better and more even through high rpm but, I want to minimize this before going above stage 2 Aggressive or 2+ sport.

Occasionally I get over boost or boost spikes which Im assuming could cause the throttle closures?

Would love for you or anyone else to watch the logs I post as I move up in maps. If the car stays happy (fueling and timing) then I'll be getting a pro tune next!
      02-06-2014, 09:26 AM   #1804
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

@Ondemand Yes the car will close the throttle plate and pull out timing to trim boost. So we need to determine why you are seeing overshoots, and why you are having pretty significant throttle closures. That boost curve is ragged, can do much better than that.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0