BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-02-2010, 06:40 AM   #1
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

I think there's something wrong with my turbos.

I noticed today when driving with windows down that there is this whining noise coming from my car when I accelerate through 1st and 2nd gear. Beyond that the wind noise is too much to hear it. The noise is VERY noticeable in enclosed places like carparks.

I know for certain that this noise was not present before. It's sort of a high pitched whine when the turbos start to spool up. There's no loss in performance, but I'm too afraid to got WOT now. Time for dealership visit?

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post

I know for certain that this noise was not present before. It's sort of a high pitched whine when the turbos start to spool up.
I don't think it's a problem

Anyway, tongue-in-cheek aside, is it possible to get some video/audio of it?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Does it happen when you rev hard then you can here it winding down? If so, I had the same concern but it's just how our turbos sound. I was expecting more of the usual turbo whistle but ours whine for some reason (maybe complaining on behalf of the engine about being starved by the fuel pumps ).

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ighlight=turbo
      12-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRX View Post
Does it happen when you rev hard then you can here it winding down? If so, I had the same concern but it's just how our turbos sound. I was expecting more of the usual turbo whistle but ours whine for some reason (maybe complaining on behalf of the engine about being starved by the fuel pumps ).

+1
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
I don't think it's a problem

Anyway, tongue-in-cheek aside, is it possible to get some video/audio of it?
I'll have to find a friend to help me record it.

Quote:

It happens even if I'm accelerating on very light throttle and not on the wind down. The sound occurs when the turbos just begin to spool up. I think I know the wind down noise you are talking about, this sound is common to all I6 BMW engines.

I've had my DCIs for over 9 months now and it's definitely not the turbo whistle or induction noise. Sorta even sounds like a supercharger in first gear. This was definitely not present before the drive day last Sunday. That thread you linked me SEEMS to address my concerns but I posted this same topic in the "Engines" section and all the Americans are saying that it's happened to them and my turbos are on the way out

EDIT: found a video. My car sounds similar to the video at around 20 seconds, but not when I'm just sitting there and revving. It's the sound that comes out when I drive.

Last edited by Jeef Beef; 12-02-2010 at 06:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 08:39 PM   #6
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
I noticed today when driving with windows down that there is this whining noise coming from my car when I accelerate through 1st and 2nd gear. Beyond that the wind noise is too much to hear it. The noise is VERY noticeable in enclosed places like carparks.

I know for certain that this noise was not present before. It's sort of a high pitched whine when the turbos start to spool up. There's no loss in performance, but I'm too afraid to got WOT now. Time for dealership visit?
Jeff,

I've had wine like your describing for about 40,000 klms. You should find that going back to the stock air box will about 90% eliminate the noise.

BMW Aus when I took the car to them for analysis (stock air-box) indicated it was the transmission & no warranty due to the LSD (although I never really tried to hide my tune had they wanted to ping me on that).

I had the AT people the $tealership use take the car for a drive, the owner of the workshop within 500m said "sounds like noisy turbo's to me".

I've serviced the tranny to be sure and it's fine. I've driven another 25K and the whine is no worse, car still runs like a cut snake. Wastegates are a little more rattly when the tune is on, quiet as when running stock.

As I'm well out of warranty I purchased a set of cores which are with Rob Beck. Once his first batch of upgraded snails are installed without issue by the 15 or so people buying the first batch I'll have him send me a set. Not looking for max power but a good overall bump + better reliability.

Cheers,

Stuart
Vishnu PROcede V5 | VK Motorworks FMIC | AR Design OCC | Forge DV's | Bilstein PSS9 | M3 Lower Control Arms & Caster Rods | Quaife LSD | HiTech Exhaust | BMW Performance Illuminated Door Sills | BMW Performance Gear Selector & Boot | BMW Performance E-Brake Cover
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 01:32 AM   #7
recce
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i & 335i

It could be the following:
1. Pully bearing
2. Leak exhaust near turbo
3. Leak turbo inlet pipe
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 07:53 PM   #8
Doing it for TV!
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
I'll have to find a friend to help me record it.

It happens even if I'm accelerating on very light throttle and not on the wind down. The sound occurs when the turbos just begin to spool up. I think I know the wind down noise you are talking about, this sound is common to all I6 BMW engines.

I've had my DCIs for over 9 months now and it's definitely not the turbo whistle or induction noise. Sorta even sounds like a supercharger in first gear. This was definitely not present before the drive day last Sunday. That thread you linked me SEEMS to address my concerns but I posted this same topic in the "Engines" section and all the Americans are saying that it's happened to them and my turbos are on the way out

I have had this noise now for months....

It is still there and giving me the absolute irrits!!

So far replaced:

(The car has gone back to the dealer that many times now... BMWAUS has been out to look at it etc..)

Front Turbo
Rear Turbo

All the piping hot side
Intercooler
Boost Module
Airbox (yes! I know)

Noise is still there

I think it may be something else altogether... (it sounds to me like a PS pump whine) it can't be exhaust.. as the noise is the same for all ppl that have this problem..

Quote:
EDIT: found a video. My car sounds similar to the video at around 20 seconds, but not when I'm just sitting there and revving. It's the sound that comes out when I drive.
If you press in the clutch and bring it up juuuust a tiny fraction, then rev the car (rather than in neutral) you will notice that it's there, it's almost like you have to load up the engine...

OVER IT!

Not to mention that the long cranks are coming back... and excessive back fires...

Last edited by 555; 12-05-2010 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 05:46 AM   #9
banglemangle
Lieutenant
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: bmw135

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555 View Post

So far replaced:

(The car has gone back to the dealer that many times now... BMWAUS has been out to look at it etc..)

Front Turbo
Rear Turbo

All the piping hot side
Intercooler
Boost Module
Airbox (yes! I know)

Noise is still there

I think it may be something else altogether... (it sounds to me like a PS pump whine) it can't be exhaust.. as the noise is the same for all ppl that have this problem..

If you press in the clutch and bring it up juuuust a tiny fraction, then rev the car (rather than in neutral) you will notice that it's there, it's almost like you have to load up the engine...

OVER IT!

Not to mention that the long cranks are coming back... and excessive back fires...
JOY
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 06:19 AM   #10
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOPALX View Post
Jeff,

I've had wine like your describing for about 40,000 klms. You should find that going back to the stock air box will about 90% eliminate the noise.

BMW Aus when I took the car to them for analysis (stock air-box) indicated it was the transmission & no warranty due to the LSD (although I never really tried to hide my tune had they wanted to ping me on that).

I had the AT people the $tealership use take the car for a drive, the owner of the workshop within 500m said "sounds like noisy turbo's to me".

I've serviced the tranny to be sure and it's fine. I've driven another 25K and the whine is no worse, car still runs like a cut snake. Wastegates are a little more rattly when the tune is on, quiet as when running stock.

As I'm well out of warranty I purchased a set of cores which are with Rob Beck. Once his first batch of upgraded snails are installed without issue by the 15 or so people buying the first batch I'll have him send me a set. Not looking for max power but a good overall bump + better reliability.

Cheers,

Stuart
Thanks Stuart! I went back to stock airbox on Sunday, if anything, the whine is now MORE noticeable since there's no wooshing sound from the intakes anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce View Post
It could be the following:
1. Pully bearing
2. Leak exhaust near turbo
3. Leak turbo inlet pipe
Hopefully it's just a leak and is easily fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555 View Post

So far replaced:

Front Turbo
Rear Turbo

All the piping hot side
Intercooler
Boost Module
Airbox (yes! I know)

Noise is still there

OVER IT!

DAAAMNNNN. Sounds like the turbo whine is the least of your worries.

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 05:03 PM   #11
choppedliver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550ix Pure

I have this as well, I thought is was the cops at first (roof down). I only ever notice it when we drive out of the driveway and up the hill in our street in 2nd when the car is cold on light throttle. Never warm. Car still goes fine and given what people have changed to fix this I'm inclined to ignore it until something breaks or performance suffers.

B
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #12
dh58
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

I thought this was from the intake. When I tried the AFE intake the sound became more pronounced.

I fixed it by checking the connections on the intake. Inlet and outlet was the problem for me. When I tightened it up and made it flush then it was a lot less noticeable. However it sounded exactly like the video you posted.

I could hear it even inside the car lol
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #13
choppedliver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550ix Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh58 View Post
I thought this was from the intake. When I tried the AFE intake the sound became more pronounced.

I fixed it by checking the connections on the intake. Inlet and outlet was the problem for me. When I tightened it up and made it flush then it was a lot less noticeable. However it sounded exactly like the video you posted.

I could hear it even inside the car lol
Interesting, my car is completely stock. Perhaps something is loose, I'll have to check!

B
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #14
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post
I have this as well, I thought is was the cops at first (roof down). I only ever notice it when we drive out of the driveway and up the hill in our street in 2nd when the car is cold on light throttle. Never warm. Car still goes fine and given what people have changed to fix this I'm inclined to ignore it until something breaks or performance suffers.

B
the cops comment brought back some memories, as the vf34 turbo I installed on my Subaru had an uncanny knack of making a siren-like noise as it spooled up

Last edited by MikeVictor; 12-01-2011 at 01:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #15
mcmn
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY10 AW 135i

the dp clamps on to the turbo may be loose..? Considering you've got AR DPs might be worth checking out.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 05:43 PM   #16
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
the cops comment brought back some memories, as the vf34 turbo I installed on my Subaru had an uncanny knack of making a siren-like noise as it spooled up

sorry to read your car is giving you grief, Jeff.
I miss my VF34...
      11-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #17
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Sounds like the sound I get because of the DPs. But I don't think Jeef had DP's at this time?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 08:11 PM   #18
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
I miss my VF34...
very cool as I wrote that I was actually wondering what you used to run in your WRX.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 08:15 PM   #19
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

I heard a siren noise may potentially mean that your turbo is about to die?

OT but I am getting this annoying brake squealing !!!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 11:33 PM   #20
denfion
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
I heard a siren noise may potentially mean that your turbo is about to die?

OT but I am getting this annoying brake squealing !!!
me too... very loud.... a good reason why I shouldn't stop my car at traffic light..
      11-30-2011, 11:41 PM   #21
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by denfion View Post
me too... very loud.... a good reason why I shouldn't stop my car at traffic light..
yeah it just recently came up as well very very annoying
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 11:54 PM   #22
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

My turbos are cooked, they've been noisy since the day I got the car and now they are starting to smoke too.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0