BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #23
MA128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128 Coupe 6MT

Garage List
2013 128 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandasboy View Post
I just bought a 128i with Sport package - summer tires. I live in Maryland so consider all-season M&S tires a good compromise for me. Eventually those would supersede the run-flat OEMs when the latter are worn out, until then swap out spring and fall. Do you think this makes sense, rather than buy new wheels?

I note from earlier posts that some replace their tires on the sport package (different tire size front and back) with same size tires all around. Will this induce oversteer or other handling issues? Said another way, one thread said that BMW puts the wider tires on back to induce understeer. True?

Any perspective would be most appreciated.
I too have a 128 Sport with staggered wheels (205/17 x 7 front, 225/17 x 7.5 rear). Like many here, I use 205/17 winter tires on all 4 wheels. I don't drive very aggressively so I don't notice any difference in understeer. My winter tires are Dunlop Winter Sport 3D which are a "performance" tire so they are just as good in cold/icy conditions but can't handle the very deep snow that a Blizzak can handle. I chose that trade-off because the WS-series Blizzaks are very soft and squishy and sucked all the joy out of driving the car. On the rare very heavy snow days, I work from home.