E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Active Steering or no Active steering

04-22-2005, 04:29 PM   #23
Intuition
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i AW

No for me.

Active steering is contrary to what I like about BMWs.

I wouldn't even consider the e90 if I couln't get it without it.

Glad BMW made it an option. Many people will probaby never know the difference anyways. Only those who truly understand cars, like enthusiasts, will appreciate not having active steering.

Active steering and DSC are nice features but even the latest SLK got a really bad review on a track due to such numbing features.

If I wanted a car to dampen the road rather then being in touch with it I'd buy a Mercedes. This is not saying that Mercedes is lesser for this.

Mercedes are almost all luxury and BMWs are a balanced between luxury and pure sports cars. The nice thing is that BMW gives options to car nerds like me, no active steering, no SMG, and then luxury options for those who like it.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2005, 04:48 PM   #24
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
I hope most of you current BMW owners realize you already have a form of active steering in your cars, a very rudementary form tho. WHen you are at very slow speeds (ie. parking speeds), the steering is boosted a bit to make turning the wheel easier, and the wheel becomes heavier at higher speeds. This is of course alot different then active steering, but its a similar concept in its fetal life. I find it to be realyl nice on the E46, and the next installment of it is even better, especially when u combine this with the dynamic coupling/uncoupling of the sway bars, now thats awesome !

and in regards to comparing it to a benz, there is no comparison. On a benz, you cant turn off the DSC system, thats why its horrible on a track, that and the fact that it has the worst steering of any car i've ever driven from a euro manufacturer. Having DSC is a good thing, not spinning your car out when your not on a track is good Porsches have DSC too, that doesnt make them numb cars either.
      04-22-2005, 05:20 PM   #25
Intuition
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i AW

I wasn't really comparing them directly. Just saying that BMWs are traditionally more tuned to raod feel and Mercedes are made to feel like your floating on air.

Thats why I don't like the active steering.

The main thing I don't like about active steering is that it changes your ratio. You can get used to this and adjust accordingly but without active steering you can master the car to the likes of tracking it.

When I test drove the Z4 3.0 manual I was really uncomfortable. Felt really umb compared to my Z3. I have supercharged my Z3 and its like an extension of my being when I drive it sporty.

The Z4 wouldn't ever come close until they got rid of Active steering. The Z4 did have a nicer suspension though.

But I think we are agreeing here in any case of our arguments. Just saying why my preference is non active steering. Thats all. I think my girlfriend would rather have active steering with all the paralell parking here in L.A.

Apples and Oranges and not really better or worse.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2005, 10:21 AM   #26
BimmerJon
Private
Rep
Drives: 328ci

Has anyone taken delivery of an E90 equipped with active steering? Looking for feedback on what you thought of it... met, exceeded or failed your expectations? Thx.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2005, 01:40 PM   #27
CorporalCarrot
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 BMW M3

Folks

Most of the magazine reviews I have read have NOT liked the active steering. In fact, I seem to recall one review where the reviewer said that what was most difficult was say where you were driving really fast on country roads but the road slows suddenly into a tight bend or hairpin and you have to decelerate quickly. You have been used to the ratios in the car for the fast stretches and turn in appropriately but the actual ratio can change mid bend as you decelerate. This particular reviewer found it extremely unnerving.

I will try to dig it out. I have probably explained it badly above and he said it better.

C
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2005, 02:26 PM   #28
lemon_dakota
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport E91

I have an E90 with Active Steering and I have driven it for about 500 miles and to be honest I don't understand what all the fuss is about. I don't believe that I have any less feel in the steering than I had in the E60, E46 or other cars I have owned.
It only took a few minutes to get used to it although I haven't yet driven another car without AS to see if I can adjust back, maybe I will have a go in my wife's E36 at the weekend to see if I can!

So I wouldn't have any difficulties ordering another car with AS other than the cost.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2005, 01:27 AM   #29
virtualrain
Registered
Rep
Drives: '02 330 Ci

Here are some comments I made over on bimmerfest recently...

At a BMW Canada sponsored E90 introduction and test drive session today in Vancouver, I had the opportunity to drive a variety of E90 configurations.

My favorite bar-none was the 330i with active steering (and manual tranny, of course). They had an auto-cross style course marked with cones setup with lots of tight corners and I could drive the whole course with hands on 9 & 3 with active steering while in a non active steering car, I was constantly doing hand-over-hand steering manuevers... Active steering was amazing. I was skeptical after reading the magazine reviews but I will not buy another vehicle without it now.

I also noticed that in the slalom I was prone to oversteering with normal steering as I swung around the cones, that is, occasionally, I would have to dial-in some opposite lock to correct for the tail coming out a bit - not at all the case with active steering. (The other thing I noticed is that the DSC in the E90 is not as intrusive or quick to intrude as the DSC in my E46).

As I understand it, Active Steering is about changing the steering ratio, NOT the amount of boost, and does so, based on vehicle speed. I believe that many systems (some even utilized by BMW in the past) would vary boost with engine speed which makes absolutely no sense. I can understand why people would hate the latter.

In fact, at the E90 intro, I recall that they put up a Powerpoint slide that showed the steering ratio on an E90 with Active Steering ranged from 10:1 to 18:1 with the mechanically neutral (i.e. fail safe?) setting at 14:1. I think they said that 14:1 is common for a sports sedan and 10:1 is approaching exotic car steering territory whereas 18:1 is up there with trucks.

I think it is an ingenious invention

In other news, the clutch feels a lot better in the E90 than the E46... The travel is less and the engagement smoother. Believe it or not, the brakes are better in the E90 as well (either that or I need my brake fluid flushed in my E46).

I just can't wait now for the E90 coupe!

Last edited by virtualrain; 05-20-2005 at 01:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2005, 06:00 AM   #30
RGB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i Auto.Active Steering

Excuse me for intruding in this thread, but I am trying to find out if the Active Steering in the E90 is CLEARLY llighter when parking that the standard steering, which I find very heavy -I have some physical problems-.
I cannot test it by myself as here there are no E90s with Active Steering.
I like very much the standard electromechanical steering of Audis and Volvos, much lighter than E90s. Can you tell how if feels stand-still?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2005, 06:50 AM   #31
YYimports
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TitanSilver E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGB
Excuse me for intruding in this thread, but I am trying to find out if the Active Steering in the E90 is CLEARLY llighter when parking that the standard steering, which I find very heavy -I have some physical problems-.
I cannot test it by myself as here there are no E90s with Active Steering.
I like very much the standard electromechanical steering of Audis and Volvos, much lighter than E90s. Can you tell how if feels stand-still?
RGB I got the chance to try out active steering and yes the steering wheel is noticeably easier to turn while parked or moving at slow speeds (for example, while parking). Sounds like a good option for you if you have some trouble turning the wheel at lower speed.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2005, 11:43 AM   #32
johnfkitchen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 323is & 330i

I'm just back from my first 2,000 miles of driving pleasure with our 330i with Active Steering.

I don't see any downside apart from added cost.

The upsides I experienced were faster manueverablity at low speeds, especially dodging rocks and potholes would you believe! I also liked being able to do three-point turns faster. It is less than one turn to full lock from center at low speed.

At first it felt a bit touchy, and over-resposive, now it feels normal.

Where I expect it may come into its own is in competition autocross and hillclimbs involving tight turns. I had a 993 Porsche and competed in club events. That car would have been much better with Active Steering in those really tight slow corners.

I bought on impulse, no regrets.

John

1998 323is SP manual with all the goodies in ArktisSilber + 330i auto SP PP CW iDrive/Nav SatRadio Active Steering Arktis/Beige/Poplar
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2005, 12:00 PM   #33
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I have driven a 530d E60 with AFS. I got used to it in a minute so to say.
But I don't have it on my E90. 2000 EUROS for this 'small wonder'.

Not for me thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2005, 12:07 PM   #34
NaTuReB0Y