BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #23
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
That's my thought. I realize the car isn't the ultimate sound stage so I don't need an absurd system, but the current junk simply doesn't cut it.
I think you'll be happy with it. It is HUGELY better than the base audio system. The soundstage is elevated and much fuller, if that makes sense - before I always felt like I was listening to a crappy, tinny boombox that was resting on the floorboards.

I'm sure an audiophile could pick apart the Alpine retrofit, but I feel like I accomplished my goals with the kit. If the car had come this way I literally would never have given the sound system a second thought. The fact that it is OE and integrates seamlessly into the car w/o any jerry-rigging is a bonus.

You're aware that the car need's to be programmed afterwards, right? Do you have that lined up already? That's probably the biggest hurdle to this retrofit in the US. Luckily for me I was living in Spain when I did the retrofit and it was trivial for the dealer to do the install & flash.
      09-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #24
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

IMO, the weakest point of the system is definitely the head unit. A buddy of mine (Sarge135) put the Parrot Asteroid in his vehicle and it changed the sound from mediocre (which is what I consider the stock system to be) to "pretty darn good".

The rear fill is much more present, if you're into that kind of thing, and the bass response is MUCH better, although IMO it tails off lower than 100hz pretty quickly, as should be expected with this kind of meager upgrade.

Anyway, overall, it's a night and day difference and I don't believe I've seen a system improve so much with only a HU install. I don't know if it's the stock wattage or the sound processing, but the stock speakers have a lot more to give if the source is better.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #25
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I think you'll be happy with it. It is HUGELY better than the base audio system. The soundstage is elevated and much fuller, if that makes sense - before I always felt like I was listening to a crappy, tinny boombox that was resting on the floorboards.

I'm sure an audiophile could pick apart the Alpine retrofit, but I feel like I accomplished my goals with the kit. If the car had come this way I literally would never have given the sound system a second thought. The fact that it is OE and integrates seamlessly into the car w/o any jerry-rigging is a bonus.

You're aware that the car need's to be programmed afterwards, right? Do you have that lined up already? That's probably the biggest hurdle to this retrofit in the US. Luckily for me I was living in Spain when I did the retrofit and it was trivial for the dealer to do the install & flash.
Awesome feedback, I can't wait. Got a fresh trim removal kit in prep, my old one was getting pretty knackered. I might eventually upgrade the underseat woofers too, I have the 6.5" 2010 units.

I'll see if I can do the programing myself. If not I have a really good connection at my local dealer.
      12-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #26
Mark3690
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw e87

I agree

For such an expensive car i think base audio really sucks...
I just upgraded mine with mosconi 120.4DSP and mbquart but i dont get the dsp settings.......
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #27
Worra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is/6, 1995 540i/6

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post

Awesome feedback, I can't wait. Got a fresh trim removal kit in prep, my old one was getting pretty knackered. I might eventually upgrade the underseat woofers too, I have the 6.5" 2010 units.

I'll see if I can do the programing myself. If not I have a really good connection at my local dealer.
I wonder how the Alpine kit stacks up against the HK audio. Makes sense that the head unit is the weak link...I have the HK and it's good enough but I expected more from these speakers.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #28
Braudham
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i - Alpine White

Unhappy

Can the base sound system's head unit be upgraded to the HiFi? I'm only able to play audio through the Aux with my iPhone and it sounds awful.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 09:08 AM   #29
RideThePigGir
Mr. Tinnitus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 BlueWaterMetallic 135 M-cpe

How's the volume compared to road noise at highway speeds? I'm flying out to Phoenix and driving my 2010 (with the HK) back to Chicago this weekend, but I realized that I haven't test driven a 1 at highway speeds - on the highway at least
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #30
RideThePigGir
Mr. Tinnitus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 BlueWaterMetallic 135 M-cpe

Whoa, sorry for semi-resurrecting this. Missed the date on the last post.
Appreciate 0