BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
tmaroufi
BOSS
Rep
Drives: N55 135i

Cool Best EQ Setting

Whatsup guys, I've searched through countless posts about the best EQ setting you can have on the 1, but I have not really found a straight forward answer. Please share what you think would be the best equalizer setting for the best sound. I mostly listen to Hip-Hop and occasionally some house music. I have a 2011 135i with the Harmon Kardon upgraded speakers. Thanks in advance
2011 135i Coupé / Cobb Stage 2 Sport / AR Design 4" Hi-Flo Catless Downpipes / Evolution Racewerks Charge Pipe / BMW Performance Exhaust / BMW N55 Mid-Pipes / BMW LCI "Black-Lines" / BMW Black Kidney Grilles / Carbon Fiber Diffuser / 35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Funny because I was just going to start a thread about this. I need to know what has been tried and tested. It seems that I can't balance it properly. I'm a musician and I have no issues on stage with sound, but for some reason, this car is impossible! Any song recommendations as a good song to set your EQ to? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.rodriguez View Post
Funny because I was just going to start a thread about this. I need to know what has been tried and tested. It seems that I can't balance it properly. I'm a musician and I have no issues on stage with sound, but for some reason, this car is impossible! Any song recommendations as a good song to set your EQ to? Thanks!
I've always heard (and read several articles that say) that the best song to set it to is Hotel California from When Hell Freezes Over because that live version has full range of everything across the spectrum as you'll have the bass in the beginning and the rest picks up as it progresses.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
I've always heard (and read several articles that say) that the best song to set it to is Hotel California from When Hell Freezes Over because that live version has full range of everything across the spectrum as you'll have the bass in the beginning and the rest picks up as it progresses.
Thanks for the song recco. Have you tried EQ-ing at all?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 01:51 AM   #5
cat-like
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW 135i

Let me start by saying that I'm a bit of a wannabe audiophile. I have spent a few years getting my home hi-fi together and as such, I am a compressed music snob that treasures vinyl and a minimum of CD quality. Hell, we've all got to be a PITA about something - right?

IMHO the HK system is a good upgrade compared to what you get standard, but that isn't saying much. There are some that will say it is a good setup with nice clarity but it really does depend on what you are comparing it to.

My previous car was a Golf R and I had an aftermarket setup installed: original head unit, sub in the back, Alpine amps, top of the range Focal 6" splits etc. It was tuned by a local legend in the car hi-fi scene here. It was a system that constantly amazed me and all who heard it. Maybe a little unfair to compare the HK to it but I do miss it badly!

A better example is probably when I had a Volvo when living in Sweden. The premium system in that was Dynaudio and it was better than the HK. So that disproves the old "you get what you pay for" adage, because you get more in the music dept with a Volvo

In fairness to the HK, the clarity is pretty good but it is missing that punchy tight mid bass. Even the Dynaudio system gave you that punch to the chest feeling at higher volumes, I find the mid & lower bass with the HK to be bloated particularly at mid to higher volumes. The problem is that it needs a little more mid bass in particular, but if it is not quality sound, I think it just makes it sound worse. In my searching on this subject, I found a lot of people really ramping up the bass frequencies but I think it sounds awful when you do that.

So, why am I putting up with the HK setup? Because to put in a decent aftermarket system will require a lot of cutting and I'm not sure I want to do that.....not yet anyway. It would have been nice if BMW found a way to get 6" speakers in there, I don't think the 4" HKs are very good and I really don't like the sound coming from the under seat subs. The tweeters however sound pretty good to me.

So, on to the equalizer settings. I have spent a lot of time on this including doing a spectrum analysis and here is what I am using at the moment, that I consider passable:

100Hz........ -3
200Hz........ -6
500Hz........ -8
1kHz.......... -7
2kHz.......... -3
5kHz.......... +3
10kHz........ -5

Treble....... neutral
Bass......... +1
Surround... OFF

Maybe you can start with these and then fine tune to your ear?

FYI, I listen to a fairly broad range of music but not hip hop & rap. Some examples would be Interpol, Massive Attack, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Peter Gabriel, CCR, Metric, Beck, Bat for Lashes and some soundtrack stuff.

As far as music to use for equalizing, I've always believed that most jazz will test a system's bass capability. I'm not a jazz fan myself but I specifically bought a Dianna Krall CD to audition my speakers for home. It was amazing how many hopefuls fell by the wayside with bloated bass when it got that low. Enya's Caribbean Blue is a good song for bass and anything from my Mezzanine album by Massive Attack will suffice as well.

I agree with Greg, the live version of Hotel California is a good all rounder. Edgar Winter's Frankenstein is a cool one and don't laugh, but Axel F is also a good one to use - there is a constant clicking type noise in the background right through the track, I don't know what instrument is playing it but make sure you can hear it clearly.

Cheers

Last edited by cat-like; 09-12-2013 at 02:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #6
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat-like View Post
Let me start by saying that I'm a bit of a wannabe audiophile. I have spent a few years getting my home hi-fi together and as such, I am a compressed music snob that treasures vinyl and a minimum of CD quality. Hell, we've all got to be a PITA about something - right?

IMHO the HK system is a good upgrade compared to what you get standard, but that isn't saying much. There are some that will say it is a good setup with nice clarity but it really does depend on what you are comparing it to.

My previous car was a Golf R and I had an aftermarket setup installed: original head unit, sub in the back, Alpine amps, top of the range Focal 6" splits etc. It was tuned by a local legend in the car hi-fi scene here. It was a system that constantly amazed me and all who heard it. Maybe a little unfair to compare the HK to it but I do miss it badly!

A better example is probably when I had a Volvo when living in Sweden. The premium system in that was Dynaudio and it was better than the HK. So that disproves the old "you get what you pay for" adage, because you get more in the music dept with a Volvo

In fairness to the HK, the clarity is pretty good but it is missing that punchy tight mid bass. Even the Dynaudio system gave you that punch to the chest feeling at higher volumes, I find the mid & lower bass with the HK to be bloated particularly at mid to higher volumes. The problem is that it needs a little more mid bass in particular, but if it is not quality sound, I think it just makes it sound worse. In my searching on this subject, I found a lot of people really ramping up the bass frequencies but I think it sounds awful when you do that.

So, why am I putting up with the HK setup? Because to put in a decent aftermarket system will require a lot of cutting and I'm not sure I want to do that.....not yet anyway. It would have been nice if BMW found a way to get 6" speakers in there, I don't think the 4" HKs are very good and I really don't like the sound coming from the under seat subs. The tweeters however sound pretty good to me.

So, on to the equalizer settings. I have spent a lot of time on this including doing a spectrum analysis and here is what I am using at the moment, that I consider passable:

100Hz........ -3
200Hz........ -6
500Hz........ -8
1kHz.......... -7
2kHz.......... -3
5kHz.......... +3
10kHz........ -5

Treble....... neutral
Bass......... +1
Surround... OFF

FYI, I listen to a fairly broad range of music but not hip hop & rap. Some examples would be Interpol, Massive Attack, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Peter Gabriel, CCR, Metric, Beck, Bat for Lashes and some soundtrack stuff.

As far as music to use for equalizing, I've always believed that most jazz will test a system's bass capability. I'm not a jazz fan myself but I specifically bought a Dianna Krall CD to audition my speakers for home. It was amazing how many hopefuls fell by the wayside with bloated bass when it got that low. Enya's Caribbean Blue is a good song for bass and anything from my Mezzanine album by Massive Attack will suffice as well.

I agree with Greg, the live version of Hotel California is a good all rounder. Edgar Winter's Frankenstein is a cool one and don't laugh, but Axel F is also a good one to use - there is a constant clicking type noise in the background right through the track, I don't know what instrument is playing it but make sure you can hear it clearly.

Cheers
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the very detailed post. I am also a wannabe audiophile at home, but not to your extent! I am a pretty much a noob when it comes to home HIFI systems. I currently run a PROJECT DEBUT III turntable with a carbon fibre tone arm. Cant say I can tell the difference between the original tone arm. Maybe a little brighter. But in any case. The car EQ settings is what I was really looking for.

I will try them out right now (in 2 minutes when I drive home from school). I like jazz so I will run some albums and see what they sound like. I also love rock and metal and all of the above.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
tmaroufi
BOSS
Rep
Drives: N55 135i

Quote:

100Hz........ -3
200Hz........ -6
500Hz........ -8
1kHz.......... -7
2kHz.......... -3
5kHz.......... +3
10kHz........ -5

Treble....... neutral
Bass......... +1
Surround... OFF

Cheers

Thank you sir!!
2011 135i Coupé / Cobb Stage 2 Sport / AR Design 4" Hi-Flo Catless Downpipes / Evolution Racewerks Charge Pipe / BMW Performance Exhaust / BMW N55 Mid-Pipes / BMW LCI "Black-Lines" / BMW Black Kidney Grilles / Carbon Fiber Diffuser / 35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
Worra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is/6, 1995 540i/6

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:

100Hz........ -3
200Hz........ -6
500Hz........ -8
1kHz.......... -7
2kHz.......... -3
5kHz.......... +3
10kHz........ -5

Treble....... neutral
Bass......... +1
Surround... OFF

Cheers
This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you sir. I'm a bit of an audiophile myself and thought that the setup as I drove it home from the dealer was terrible, worse than my 2009 328i with "premium" sound's stock setup.

I'd also like to add to the "test tracks" list - anything from the newly remastered Fleetwood Mac "Rumors", and the track Game Of Love from the newest Daft Punk album.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
Roadsterdoc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Porsche996TT 69Datsun2000

cat-like,

I tried your settings in my 1M with HK system and I'm very pleased. Like you said, it's passable, which is much more than can be said for the various settings I tried. Thank you so much for your thoughtful post. Rock on!!
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2013, 11:14 PM   #10
cat-like
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsterdoc View Post
cat-like,

I tried your settings in my 1M with HK system and I'm very pleased. Like you said, it's passable, which is much more than can be said for the various settings I tried. Thank you so much for your thoughtful post. Rock on!!
No probs

Just remember, the settings I suggested are a good place to start as they are much closer to ideal than starting with a flat eq. You should still be prepared to adjust if needed to suit your ear or your type of music from there.

I'd actually be very happy to try anyone's variations on this.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 12:12 AM   #11
Worra
Captain
Rep

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat-like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsterdoc View Post
cat-like,

No probs

Just remember, the settings I suggested are a good place to start as they are much closer to ideal than starting with a flat eq. You should still be prepared to adjust if needed to suit your ear or your type of music from there.

I'd actually be very happy to try anyone's variations on this.
I'm working on a slight variation of your settings. I've got some music that just sounds a bit hollow with the current suggested settings and I'm trying to put it somewhere where the mids stick out a bit more
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 03:40 AM   #12
cat-like
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worra View Post
I'm working on a slight variation of your settings. I've got some music that just sounds a bit hollow with the current suggested settings and I'm trying to put it somewhere where the mids stick out a bit more
...and there lies the dilemma, the mid bass is the biggest issue. I'd be keen to see your settings once you've done something.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #13
Worra
Captain
Rep

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
...and there lies the dilemma, the mid bass is the biggest issue. I'd be keen to see your settings once you've done something.
Yeah not having a mid setting is a real pain. Will report back soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #14
Worra
Captain
Rep

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Bumping this - Here are my current settings. A slight improvement for me on what was already posted earlier:

Bass +1
Treble 0
Balance 0
Fade +1 rear
Logic7 OFF
80hz -3
200hz +3
500hz -1
1khz -2
2khz 0
5khz +3
10khz -5
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #15
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Bumping this - Here are my current settings. A slight improvement for me on what was already posted earlier:

Bass +1
Treble 0
Balance 0
Fade +1 rear
Logic7 OFF
80hz -3
200hz +3
500hz -1
1khz -2
2khz 0
5khz +3
10khz -5
I actually was going to take a picture of my settings for you the other day for comparison. Is Logic7 where it says "Surround?" on that first screen?

Granted I don't have mine in front of me but am pretty sure mine looks like:
Treble +3
Bass +2
Balance 0
Fade 0
Surround On

Then not sure if your frequencies are in the order they appear but mine is a simple, symmetrical arc that is something like +2, +2, +1, 0, +1, +2, +2, although it's possible I only have +2s on the two ends and one in from the end is only +1, to get all technical. =P

My settings, at least for me, sound amazing, crisp and clear, with good bass (but not too much). I might try yours out, see what I think, too and may post a picture of mine as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #16
Worra
Captain
Rep

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
I actually was going to take a picture of my settings for you the other day for comparison. Is Logic7 where it says "Surround?" on that first screen?

Granted I don't have mine in front of me but am pretty sure mine looks like:
Treble +3
Bass +2
Balance 0
Fade 0
Surround On

Then not sure if your frequencies are in the order they appear but mine is a simple, symmetrical arc that is something like +2, +2, +1, 0, +1, +2, +2, although it's possible I only have +2s on the two ends and one in from the end is only +1, to get all technical. =P

My settings, at least for me, sound amazing, crisp and clear, with good bass (but not too much). I might try yours out, see what I think, too and may post a picture of mine as well.
I've listed out the frequencies in the order they appear. I also don't have anything that says "surround" just "Logic7". Not sure if this is a difference for those of us with HK audio or not. Also, I don't have the tech/nav package so I don't know if that makes a difference as well. Let me know what you guys think!

Edit: I have to say that fading the sound one click to the rear made a pretty significant difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #17
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
I've listed out the frequencies in the order they appear. I also don't have anything that says "surround" just "Logic7". Not sure if this is a difference for those of us with HK audio or not. Also, I don't have the tech/nav package so I don't know if that makes a difference as well. Let me know what you guys think!

Edit: I have to say that fading the sound one click to the rear made a pretty significant difference.
Interesting. I have the HK and tech package. Wouldn't think that the tech package would change anything audio wise, so my sense is Logic7 and Surround are being used synonymously since it looks like your Logic7 appears where my Surround appears. When I leave work I'll take pics of the two screens, which of course will look very different on the idrive screen compared to the radio screen you are doing it on.

I'll also try one click on the fade to the rear on the way home as several people have suggested that which I never considered cause it seems counter-intuitive since I'm in the front and wanted a balanced sound.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 06:02 PM   #18
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Got pics now! And tried one click fade to the rear which did seem to add a bit of bass+maybe some extra mid-range, but it actually bothered my ears, so I moved it back to neutral.

Here's both what my settings are and how it looks on my screen which shows there's a subtle difference since yours shows 80 Hz and mine shows 100 Hz as the first one, which is weird, but mine's at:

100 Hz +2
200 Hz +2
500 Hz +1
1 kHz 0
2 kHz +1
5 kHz +2
10 kHz +2
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #19
savowood
His ears have a paisley lining.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i and CTSCC BMW 128i

My favorite song to dial a system in is Donald Fagan's I.G.Y from his album The Nightfly. Back when I was doing rock and roll touring, I kept a CD with just that song on it, and looped it while I walked around the arena to hear it everywhere. I started using it initially doing studio recordings and getting my head and ears calibrated to the monitors in the control room. The reason I use this song is the range of sound, and the amazing clarity of each instrument in the recording.

It opens up with a light cymbal roll and a light keyboard pad, with a keyboard staccato blip, and an arpeggio effect on a different keyboard, really highlighting how well the tweeters are doing their job, and letting you know if there's any comb filtering going on due to poor placement or flying of the rig. The kick is solid and makes a nice thump everywhere in the arena if you got it right. It's married to the bass guitar perfectly extending the range of the bottom end.

Then the full drum kit kicks in with a light guitar accompanied by more keys, still distinct although in the same frequency range. Then the horns. Ooooh the horns. A beautiful blend of just the right attack and sustain. To they resonate in the room, or are they as clear as you remember?

Then Donald comes in with his nicely shaped tenor voice, cutting right through the middle of it all, and amazingly not stepping on the trailing note of the horns. You can hear the resonance in his nasal cavity when he says "the future looks bright."

The backup singers with their lilting voices spread left to right seamlessly, drawing you in, just in time to be graced by the horns again. Then the electric piano shimmers above it all.

Mind you this is from memory. I may be a little off on some of the progression, but I think I got it right.

When the kick in this song feels like it's in the middle of your chest, you got the bottom end right. When the electric piano and keyboards come across like silk, with the horns and voice filling the space between them perfectly down to the the amazingly lyrical bass, you have done the rest right.

As for the settings, honestly, it's all about what sounds good to you. I recommend playing with the settings and going deliberately completely awful, then tuning in each frequency you have control over. I'd start with everything all the way down and the treble and bass at the center position. It's going to sound like you covered your speakers with pillows. Then bring the bottom end up so the kick drum sounds round and full, but you won't have the attack. Then I'd look in the 5kHz range to find the attack of the beater on the kick. This will start to bring the snap of the snare drum in and the lower end of the cymbals. Then go for the 10kHz range and let the cymbals gain clarity and feel the "pop" of the snare. Now start on the voice with the 500 and 1k settings. Fill out the voice with 2k to get the "presence" of the vocal (which is usually between 2.5 and 3.5, but we work with the tools we have, not what we want sometimes). Now go to the 200 range and let the bass guitar and the top end of the kick make itself known.

Mark the settings somehow. Pick a different song. Work the same magic on that one. See where the differences are. Rinse, repeat.

Now you have some good data, and can find a nice sweet spot where all the songs you really know well sound great, and the rest should be fantastic, too.
      11-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #20
Worra
Captain
Rep

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by savowood View Post
My favorite song to dial a system in is Donald Fagan's I.G.Y from his album The Nightfly. Back when I was doing rock and roll touring, I kept a CD with just that song on it, and looped it while I walked around the arena to hear it everywhere. I started using it initially doing studio recordings and getting my head and ears calibrated to the monitors in the control room. The reason I use this song is the range of sound, and the amazing clarity of each instrument in the recording.

It opens up with a light cymbal roll and a light keyboard pad, with a keyboard staccato blip, and an arpeggio effect on a different keyboard, really highlighting how well the tweeters are doing their job, and letting you know if there's any comb filtering going on due to poor placement or flying of the rig. The kick is solid and makes a nice thump everywhere in the arena if you got it right. It's married to the bass guitar perfectly extending the range of the bottom end.

Then the full drum kit kicks in with a light guitar accompanied by more keys, still distinct although in the same frequency range. Then the horns. Ooooh the horns. A beautiful blend of just the right attack and sustain. To they resonate in the room, or are they as clear as you remember?

Then Donald comes in with his nicely shaped tenor voice, cutting right through the middle of it all, and amazingly not stepping on the trailing note of the horns. You can hear the resonance in his nasal cavity when he says "the future looks bright."

The backup singers with their lilting voices spread left to right seamlessly, drawing you in, just in time to be graced by the horns again. Then the electric piano shimmers above it all.

Mind you this is from memory. I may be a little off on some of the progression, but I think I got it right.

When the kick in this song feels like it's in the middle of your chest, you got the bottom end right. When the electric piano and keyboards come across like silk, with the horns and voice filling the space between them perfectly down to the the amazingly lyrical bass, you have done the rest right.

As for the settings, honestly, it's all about what sounds good to you. I recommend playing with the settings and going deliberately completely awful, then tuning in each frequency you have control over. I'd start with everything all the way down and the treble and bass at the center position. It's going to sound like you covered your speakers with pillows. Then bring the bottom end up so the kick drum sounds round and full, but you won't have the attack. Then I'd look in the 5kHz range to find the attack of the beater on the kick. This will start to bring the snap of the snare drum in and the lower end of the cymbals. Then go for the 10kHz range and let the cymbals gain clarity and feel the "pop" of the snare. Now start on the voice with the 500 and 1k settings. Fill out the voice with 2k to get the "presence" of the vocal (which is usually between 2.5 and 3.5, but we work with the tools we have, not what we want sometimes). Now go to the 200 range and let the bass guitar and the top end of the kick make itself known.

Mark the settings somehow. Pick a different song. Work the same magic on that one. See where the differences are. Rinse, repeat.

Now you have some good data, and can find a nice sweet spot where all the songs you really know well sound great, and the rest should be fantastic, too.
Nice to find others who actually understand sound and give a crap
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 01:25 AM   #21
a7med606
First Lieutenant
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 1 ///M + F80 M3

i dont have EQ in my car , i want to upgrade the sound system to harmon carden , i remember that there was a thread but i didn't find because i am browsing from a mobile , can any one tell me which parts should i buy and how to install ? there will be a code needed to get the EQ ??
Appreciate 0