BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
Spoolin Montego
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 m3/20 x5m/23 m3

Chargepipe Upgrade Worth It

For the FBO guys is upgrading the charge pipe/BOV really worth it? I don't feel like I'm losing any boost through the stock diverter valves but I do get some wierd throttle closures when I let off from 100% throttle in the midrange.

Looking for personal experience from someone who was running full bolt ons and then upgraded the charge pipe.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
That_1_Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

For the N54 guys, this statement is absolutely fine..... for us N55 owners, I would recommend that be the first upgrade.

But, if you go FBO, and have the means.... might as well get a more sturdy, durable (and prettier) pipe, that makes a better swishy noise
Sold 2011 BMW 135i - COBB V2 AP / VMR 710's / 4" AR Catless DP / BMS Intake w/ Air Scoops / Eibach Pro Kit / MadDad Street Series Axle Back / ER Charge Pipe / BMS OCC / Vorshlag Camber Plates / Sammich Sticker
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
nidfix
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_1_Guy View Post
For the N54 guys, this statement is absolutely fine..... for us N55 owners, I would recommend that be the first upgrade.

But, if you go FBO, and have the means.... might as well get a more sturdy, durable (and prettier) pipe, that makes a better swishy noise
Why would it be more recommended for N55 ?
Is it flimsier on N55 ?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
That_1_Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidfix View Post
Why would it be more recommended for N55 ?
Is it flimsier on N55 ?

Yes, by far. N55 has plenty of owners who have experience "Cracks and breaks" at high boost levels. From just a simple crack causing boost leak, to some serious cases of it snapping off.

A lot of N55 owners will tell you that it is the first thing you should do. But then again, N54 is different.
Sold 2011 BMW 135i - COBB V2 AP / VMR 710's / 4" AR Catless DP / BMS Intake w/ Air Scoops / Eibach Pro Kit / MadDad Street Series Axle Back / ER Charge Pipe / BMS OCC / Vorshlag Camber Plates / Sammich Sticker
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
nidfix
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes, by far. N55 has plenty of owners who have experience "Cracks and breaks" at high boost levels. From just a simple crack causing boost leak, to some serious cases of it snapping off.

A lot of N55 owners will tell you that it is the first thing you should do. But then again, N54 is different.
Thank you for the reply.
Do you believe it necessary even if the car is stock ?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidfix View Post
Thank you for the reply.
Do you believe it necessary even if the car is stock ?
There was a cases when for example 1M was stock and it broke off the CP.

But I think stock car should handle just fine...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
That_1_Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Stock, no. You're fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #9
nidfix
Private
Rep

Thank you !
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #10
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
Sorry if this is a bit irrelevant to the whole discussion but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. I came from a subaru and whenever you got a BOV, you needed to get tuned for it otherwise it would act quite silly.

Do you also need a tune for a BOV on our cars? Apologize if the question is dumb.

Thanks!

2022 X3 M Comp | (SOLD)

2016 M3 | AWE Switchpath Diamond Black 102mm (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #11
Tee-Dub
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

What charge pipe is my question! I ordered my COBB today and have been looking at charge pipes and intercoolers all day. Can't make up my mind.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #12
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
No tune required.
I assumed so since I couldn't find any info regarding BOV and tune.

Thanks a ton for your response.

2022 X3 M Comp | (SOLD)

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #13
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Dub View Post
What charge pipe is my question! I ordered my COBB today and have been looking at charge pipes and intercoolers all day. Can't make up my mind.
From what I've seen around, seems like majority vote is on this: http://www.evolutionracewerks.com/node/190

2022 X3 M Comp | (SOLD)

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #14
Tee-Dub
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Yeah, I've been leaning towards the ER, although mine is an N54, so different CP than what you posted a link to.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 01:04 AM   #15
That_1_Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisko View Post
I assumed so since I couldn't find any info regarding BOV and tune.

Thanks a ton for your response.
Don't expect any performance gain. Simply that the stock CP can cause problems, but most are fine. IMO, if it breaks, replace it, else leave be.

Another 1M member had a blown engine and was denied warranty due to aftermarket CP fitted.
That would not fly with me. Unless you can show me how a better fitted part assisted in breaking the car, you won't just deny warranty. But hey, guess there are always horror stories.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #16
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That would not fly with me. Unless you can show me how a better fitted part assisted in breaking the car, you won't just deny warranty. But hey, guess there are always horror stories.
I'd probably switch back to stock CP before taking it back in for warranty

2022 X3 M Comp | (SOLD)

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #17
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

Quote:
From what I've seen around, seems like majority vote is on this: http://www.evolutionracewerks.com/node/190
Love my ER CP. I'd go with them or ETS, IMO
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #18
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Sorry if this is a bit irrelevant to the whole discussion but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. I came from a subaru and whenever you got a BOV, you needed to get tuned for it otherwise it would act quite silly.

Do you also need a tune for a BOV on our cars? Apologize if the question is dumb.
On a Subaru or the N55, the fueling is MAF based. The air is "metered" as it passes the MAF sensor, so the engine computer injects fuel as if that air was going into the cylinders. If it is instead dumped back out to the atmosphere instead of recirculated into the intake, the car still injects that fuel and the car goes rich. It has absolutely no way to "know" that air was dumped. There's no "tune" fix for that either. It is a system design error.

The worst part is that after the oxygen sensor detects that rich spike, the ECU try to pull fuel, and then the car goes lean. This can be bad. You shift, go rich, ECU tries to compensate, you punch the gas, car goes lean. Not good. In situations such as full throttle, part throttle, full throttle you can easily cause the engine to knock due to the lean condition at high throttle. Oxygen sensors are not fast enough to deal with this. If they were, you wouldn't need any MAF or even speed density.

There's really no way to tune this out on a Subaru or N55, but people love their ridiculous noise making external dump blow off valves, so there is a falsehood spread that you are ok as long as it is tuned for so tuners can take money in to "fix" it. But there's no actual way to tune this problem out, and I'd be more than happy to have an open debate with anyone who disagrees. It's a system design flaw to dump metered air. The real fixes would be to relocate the MAF between the blow off valve and throttle (which is a huge undertaking and really only done for big turbo cars, and comes with its own host of problems), or switch to speed-density fueling like the N54, which again is not always simple. I see no circumstance where you should do this just because you want a noise making device so the car sounds cool.

I highly recommend against ever using a blow off valve that dumps air out of the system on any car with a mass airflow sensor. Not even 50/50 valves that recirculate at first, but open dump on larger throttle reductions. You've just made the flaw smaller, but it is still a flaw.

N54, good to go, doesn't really matter as it uses speed density fueling. Use whatever blow off valve style you want. You may want to adjust the spring on the blow off valve itself to give you the best behavior. There are pros and cons to tighter or looser release. N55, stick with a full recirculating setup where the air released from the charge pipe is routed back into the intake.

I still tend to think the tune itself really doesn't have too much effect.

For the record, I tuned dozens if not hundreds of Subarus for years from around 2004-2008, and was heavily involved in OpenECU, and wrote an actual speed-density patch for the 32bit Renesas CPU that is now widely used in many EJ257 turbo that are tuned using OpenECU.
      01-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #19
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
On a Subaru or the N55, the fueling is MAF based. The air is "metered" as it passes the MAF sensor, so the engine computer injects fuel as if that air was going into the cylinders. If it is instead dumped back out to the atmosphere instead of recirculated into the intake, the car still injects that fuel and the car goes rich. It has absolutely no way to "know" that air was dumped. There's no "tune" fix for that either. It is a system design error.

The worst part is that after the oxygen sensor detects that rich spike, the ECU try to pull fuel, and then the car goes lean. This can be bad. You shift, go rich, ECU tries to compensate, you punch the gas, car goes lean. Not good. In situations such as full throttle, part throttle, full throttle you can easily cause the engine to knock due to the lean condition at high throttle. Oxygen sensors are not fast enough to deal with this. If they were, you wouldn't need any MAF or even speed density.

There's really no way to tune this out on a Subaru or N55, but people love their ridiculous noise making external dump blow off valves, so there is a falsehood spread that you are ok as long as it is tuned for so tuners can take money in to "fix" it. But there's no actual way to tune this problem out, and I'd be more than happy to have an open debate with anyone who disagrees. It's a system design flaw to dump metered air. The real fixes would be to relocate the MAF between the blow off valve and throttle (which is a huge undertaking and really only done for big turbo cars, and comes with its own host of problems), or switch to speed-density fueling like the N54, which again is not always simple. I see no circumstance where you should do this just because you want a noise making device so the car sounds cool.

I highly recommend against ever using a blow off valve that dumps air out of the system on any car with a mass airflow sensor. Not even 50/50 valves that recirculate at first, but open dump on larger throttle reductions. You've just made the flaw smaller, but it is still a flaw.

N54, good to go, doesn't really matter as it uses speed density fueling. Use whatever blow off valve style you want. You may want to adjust the spring on the blow off valve itself to give you the best behavior. There are pros and cons to tighter or looser release. N55, stick with a full recirculating setup where the air released from the charge pipe is routed back into the intake.

I still tend to think the tune itself really doesn't have too much effect.

For the record, I tuned dozens if not hundreds of Subarus for years from around 2004-2008, and was heavily involved in OpenECU, and wrote an actual speed-density patch for the 32bit Renesas CPU that is now widely used in many EJ257 turbo that are tuned using OpenECU.
Thanks for the great info, you definitely seem quite knowledgeable in the subject and it all makes sense. I remember on my Subaru I never really had any issues with the BOV besides when it was "unntuned." It wouldn't idle. I always did open-source as well (bugeye 2003 w/ EJ257). But do you think the jerk from releasing throttle midboost would be due to the BOV? I remember it always did that but I always assumed it was backpressure buildup from the turbo.

After reading this, I think I may stick with the BPV

2022 X3 M Comp | (SOLD)

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #20
Jcp135
Track Captain
Peru
Rep
Drives: 1M, Porsche Carrera S, M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Dub View Post
I was trying my new Cobb Acces Port yesterday, changing between maps and my charge pipe broke. I will go with ER.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #21
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcp135 View Post
I was trying my new Cobb Acces Port yesterday, changing between maps and my charge pipe broke. I will go with ER.
I'm about to get an ER next month as well. Gonna need it since I'm about to pick up a Cobb AP to fix the catless DP CEL.

2022 X3 M Comp | (SOLD)

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #22
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
I'm about to get an ER next month as well. Gonna need it since I'm about to pick up a Cobb AP to fix the catless DP CEL.
Cobb hasn't released the Stage 2 maps for the N55, so you are going to be stuck with the CEL for downpipes as of now. Stage 2 and 2+ maps are only available for N54 equipped cars.
Appreciate 0