BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #23
DrRay81
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 CS Frozen White

I think most people would agree when i say that there really is no comparison between the two. If i wanted the fastest car i could've bought a 30k car and put 20k into it and have a quicker track car than an 1M, which i have done with an STi. the reason i decided i wanted a 1M was the history and panache of BMW. it's a very well engineered car with lots of history behind the brand, not saying the nissan isn't well engineered but BMW's are known for their dynamic driving experience and brand heritage. Simply said they have more character than the nissan. If someone with a 370z wants to say there car is so much faster, which probably isn't the case, so be it. but it goes beyond the numbers. i'm sure if you ask most people which would they rather have a nissan or a bmw, i would bet most if not all would choose a bmw. i know it's cliche but a bmw is "the ultimate driving machine" and that comes from the feel and experience a car gives you, from the thud of the door, to the spartan interior, to every bit of the car's over-engineered german goodness. so to each his own, but i'm proud to own a BMW, and i don't care that it's not the fastest, but what it can do, it does very well, and it is very well executed.

Last edited by DrRay81; 05-30-2011 at 06:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 06:02 PM   #24
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

ultimate driving machine..... its not just a slogan
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #25
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
A lot of the BMW owners in here sound just as bad as the Nissan owner from the OP. At least Z's get an LSD option, whereas without an M you can't get one from the ultimate driving machine. Both are excellent cars, and both have their pros and cons. Probably a skilled driver in a 128i could beat an inexperienced driver in either of those cars, so one that close will defiantly be decided by the driver (not .2 seconds from a magazine). All of the times from the magazine are mfg claims, and that magazine article says the 1M has a double wishbone suspension as well (does not). Best way to decide is go to the track and find out...probably you will both have a fun time!

Tim
      05-30-2011, 10:41 PM   #26
Turbolader
The Fat Stig
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by !mspinster View Post
I just met someone who owns a stock Nismo 370Z and when I mentioned I'm getting a 1M he laughed. He says his Nismo can do 0-60 in 4.4 and he easily out ran an e46. Anyone know the performance number on that car, I can't find any hard performance number on it.
LOL, not sure which one would win. I used to care about 0-60, but then I realized the world was round. If I really cared about 0-60 I'd get a Dodge Omni GLHS Turbo, gut it, drop about $5k into an extremely large turbo/Nitrous setup and get to 60 mph in the 3-second range. The thing is that limiting performance based on straight-line performance is goofy for both of these cars -- neither of them are bad on a track, so why not include that in the assessment of total performance?

A little sarcasm here....

It boils down to which breaks first, the HPFP in the BMW or the valvetrain/oil problems in the VQ37VHR. Then again, if the Nissan did get going, the new trouble would be stopping. (Oh, wait, crap, our ceramic pistons crack too... but atleast they don't fail completely!

http://www.the370z.com/nissan-370z-g...hr-engine.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ng_lap-feature

Sarcasm aside, I had a 350z and I loved it. I think they are great cars, but they are cheaper than the BMW in price, and fit and finish. The VQ engine certainly has its problems, it does not mod well, nor does they manual trannies take higher-than-stock power levels well. Their mods seem to have the BMW tax as well, so you have the already lousy performance-per-dollar of a NA car, coupled with the BMW tax (Nissan tax?) and you end up spending several thousand dollars for a few hp. (Or $7k for the turbo kit, $1k for the clutch, $5k for the replacement engine after you blow the first one, and $4k for the replacement tranny after you break that too). It's one of the reasons I got rid of it.

In all honesty, I think the fairest BMW to compare to the 370Z isn't the 1, or even the 1M -- I think it's the Z4 M Coupe. It is much more similar in chassis configuration, as well as being NA.
      05-30-2011, 10:42 PM   #27
R32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhatimay View Post
Best way to decide is go to the track and find out...probably you will both have a fun time!
you are right, of course! but most people, no matter what they say or believe, will not drive any of these cars to the point of being able to discrminate them dynamically.

as for track manners, a stint in the 370z will inevitably be short due to oil temps. the viscous lsd in the 370 will also reach its limits very soon.

i'm anxious to see how the 1m holds up at the track in terms of cooling. the m-sourced parts (brakes, lsd) should be quite up to the task for the casual track driver.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 11:05 PM   #28
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

everyone's gotta have a favourite. i think the 370z is a great car for the money for some people, just like a mustang 5.0 was great for my father. however, there's no way in hell i could see the 370z as superior, considering the 1m is now in m3 and cayman s/r striking distance.

to me, that's enough, as the 1m is a bit of a compromise of a car- one that you can drive all year long in all weather and have a huge grin on your face all the time. if i wanted to spend my money on a car that i could only enjoy during the extremely limited summer, i'd go for the cayman s, though. too bad i can't afford both.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 06:15 AM   #29
Hotrod99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, 1M,

Correct me if i'm wrong but i recall that the 350Z was infact using a V6 Renault engine. I'm not sure if thats the case with the 370 but i can put money on it that if is from Renault his 370 will never likely see a 100K miles!

Renault engines = French Cr*p!

And correctly so, the 370Z should really be compared against the Z4 3.5, not the 1M
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 04:57 PM   #30
Turbolader
The Fat Stig
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod99 View Post
Correct me if i'm wrong but i recall that the 350Z was infact using a V6 Renault engine. I'm not sure if thats the case with the 370 but i can put money on it that if is from Renault his 370 will never likely see a 100K miles!

Renault engines = French Cr*p!

And correctly so, the 370Z should really be compared against the Z4 3.5, not the 1M
It's a myth that the VQ engine is French, it really isn't, but nevertheless, it certainly not as great of an engine that Ward's Auto World thought it was.

http://www.nissan-motorsports.com/EN..._VQ/index.html
      05-31-2011, 05:19 PM   #31
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

The 1M is a car that is currently being compared to the Cayman R and the TTRS, does anyone really think that the 370z is a reason for concern?!?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 05:35 PM   #32
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

I would have a difficult time living with the 370z.
The seating position is way low (I'm 5-11, but still it feels low and claustrophobic).

The 1M / 135i have excellent ergonomics and visibility.

Last edited by ///1M; 05-31-2011 at 05:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 05:59 PM   #33
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

I traded my 370z in for my 135i. Reasons being I really couldn't cope with having a 2 seater DD, mods were expensive and had little gains (280 whp -> 320 whp would cost around $4k), and above all else it just wasn't a "grown up" car. I have tracked both vehicles and have to say, the 370z is considerably faster around a racetrack with under $1000 in mods (oil cooler and sway bars). It really is a fantastic car when it comes to handling. The brakes could use some help and the motor needs another 100 hp in my opinion, but it is a fun little car. Anyways, the 1 is an awesome car too because it is just more fun to drive and tinker with in my opinion. It also is more of a mature automobile, and is just so damn comfortable!!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 06:13 PM   #34
kardboard
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3, 2010 135i, 2004 WRX

Garage List
2010 135i  [6.00]
2004 WRX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray101381 View Post
I think most people would agree when i say that there really is no comparison between the two. If i wanted the fastest car i could've bought a 30k car and put 20k into it and have a quicker track car than an 1M, which i have done with an STi. the reason i decided i wanted a 1M was the history and panache of BMW. it's a very well engineered car with lots of history behind the brand, not saying the nissan isn't well engineered but BMW's are known for their dynamic driving experience and brand heritage. Simply said they have more character than the nissan. If someone with a 370z wants to say there car is so much faster, which probably isn't the case, so be it. but it goes beyond the numbers. i'm sure if you ask most people which would they rather have a nissan or a bmw, i would bet most if not all would choose a bmw. i know it's cliche but a bmw is "the ultimate driving machine" and that comes from the feel and experience a car gives you, from the thud of the door, to the spartan interior, to every bit of the car's over-engineered german goodness. so to each his own, but i'm proud to own a BMW, and i don't care that it's not the fastest, but what it can do, it does very well, and it is very well executed.
+1. When I went shopping for a new car a little over a year ago i was looking at the 370Z, Corvette, and a 1 series. I also own a WRX that is modded to hell and did not want another track car but a nice car with a good ride and power. That immediately threw out the Vette. The 370Z was a harsh ride and just reminded me of my WRX. I was looking for something smoother. The BMW fit the bill. It was extremely quiet and had the immediate power unlike my turbo lagging WRX and nothing like the 370Z which likes to be revved high. I'm happy with my decision but little did I know how quick the 1 series was. Car and Driver has it beating the 370z around VIR and the 135i has a faster 1/4 mile. Berk did an amazing job in the unlimited class in superlap.

Looks like the Mod Bug has bitten me again.
      05-31-2011, 06:18 PM   #35
kardboard
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3, 2010 135i, 2004 WRX

Garage List
2010 135i  [6.00]
2004 WRX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceworkbavaria View Post
I traded my 370z in for my 135i. Reasons being I really couldn't cope with having a 2 seater DD, mods were expensive and had little gains (280 whp -> 320 whp would cost around $4k), and above all else it just wasn't a "grown up" car. I have tracked both vehicles and have to say, the 370z is considerably faster around a racetrack with under $1000 in mods (oil cooler and sway bars). It really is a fantastic car when it comes to handling. The brakes could use some help and the motor needs another 100 hp in my opinion, but it is a fun little car. Anyways, the 1 is an awesome car too because it is just more fun to drive and tinker with in my opinion. It also is more of a mature automobile, and is just so damn comfortable!!
+1 on this too. I'm 24 and wanted to get out of the four bangers and racer boy mentality (still race my 330 awhp WRX as much as possible on a track or at auto x events. ESP build.). BMW is just a more "grown up" brand than Nissan.
      06-01-2011, 05:06 AM   #36
Hotrod99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, 1M,

If i was spending this kind of money on a car and wanted a Jap performance car, i dont think i would look twice at a 370z in all honesty. Considering in the UK you can buy a second hand GTR for similar money to a new 1M.

I've obviously bought a 1M but dont really see why a 370z would be a cause for concern to most. But then again i respect why people buy the car's they do. The GTR is a totally different animal compared to the 370z.
Appreciate 0