BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
x-tian-X4.8
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 X5 4.8i

Can't Break Loose the Tires

So I have a question. I have a 135 that is Cobb Tuned. Its a total beast. I was just messing around the other day in my parking lot and tried to break loose the tires from a dead stop with DTC off. To my surprise, with the amount of HP and Torque available that I couldnt do it. I figured with close to 400 Tq, I could with no problem. Your Thoughts?

Last edited by x-tian-X4.8; 04-23-2012 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

It is much easier to break loose in a 6 MT car than an auto. Try break launch technique, like use one foot to push the break while other foot to push the gas pedal and then relesae the break while punching the gas.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
x-tian-X4.8
Private
Rep

I gotcha.... But I mean, with close to 400tq, i should be able to jus press the gas pedal and GO GO GO....
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

What tires are you running? You have an auto? Are you using sport mode, regular driving mode, or manual mode? Try manual mode in gear 1 (2nd is usually the default starting gear for some reason in all modes). Does the Cobb have a traction assist feature like on the JB4? That would pretty much be limiting your boost in the first two gears so that you don't break traction from all the force.

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
x-tian-X4.8
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
What tires are you running? You have an auto? Are you using sport mode, regular driving mode, or manual mode? Try manual mode in gear 1 (2nd is usually the default starting gear for some reason in all modes). Does the Cobb have a traction assist feature like on the JB4? That would pretty much be limiting your boost in the first two gears so that you don't break traction from all the force.
Good questions. I am running OEM tires. Not sure what they are. I have an auto in regular driving mode. Ill try in sport and in manual mode.. I don't know if Cobb has traction assist feature but I can inquire. Thanks again for your information..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-tian-X4.8 View Post
Good questions. I am running OEM tires. Not sure what they are. I have an auto in regular driving mode. Ill try in sport and in manual mode.. I don't know if Cobb has traction assist feature but I can inquire. Thanks again for your information..
^That's your problem. "D" and "DS" start in second gear. Though even in second you should normally be able to break loosemwith 400 ft lbs to the wheels. Try putting it in "DS" and then pushing the shifter up to bring it to M1. You should be able to break traction no problem. Also, what tune are you running on the Cobb? The one that doesn't require FMIC, etc, or the more aggressive one that does? Sorry, I'm not too familiar with the Cobb maps, but my guess is that a second gear start in "D" with the less aggressive map won't break traction, even with the stock Bridgestones RE050A tires. It won't be 400 ft lbs to the wheels with the less aggressive map, though. Otherwise, it MUST be a problem (or Cobb has some traction assist setting). With the more aggressive map I would really expect there to be some loss of traction in 2nd gear.

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
Adam135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

I have an automatic 2009 135i with stage 1 sport cobb tune. From a stop it's difficult for me to give it 70-100% throttle without the traction control light flashing and the feeling of power getting cut. I feel like the tires break loose too easily. Is this normal? Do I have to disable DSC for all fast starts? I have the stock run flats which certainly doesn't help.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
Gimlet
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM 135i

Disable all the nannies (IE - timyoyo mode) by holding down the DSC button for a few seconds. Then floor it in D, DS, or in manual mode...unless you have some super sticky tires, I'm pretty damn sure you'll break 'em loose.

Adam - if you enable DSC (just press once), you can break traction to an extent, but the power will be cut when the system detects too much slippage. Go all the way off as mentioned, and learn to feather the throttle on take off - you will be much faster.

And finally gents, do some more reading and searching on these forums...you will learn alot instead of waiting around for someone to answer!
      04-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
roo97ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4, X6M, Tesla Plaid, MYP, Ram

this is what makes an auto very easy to launch. in DS it does start in 1st gear and i'm pretty sure it's supposed to start in 1st gear even in D, although my car starts in 2nd about 50% of the time.

My car, tuned, with either jb3 or now cobb from a dead stop won't spin if it's warm out. It might start to spin just at the top of 1st, but the little bit of lag is just enough to make it nearly idiot proof to launch. the only place you can look like an idiot though is with all the dsc on, and if you are on cold/wet/rough road it will smack you in the face when you stomp it.

you can brake torque it and lite them up if you want though.
      05-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
llowlife
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 135i

Hey if your hooking up and your opponent isn't you may be winning.

I have an 09 auto with a cobb stage 1 93 octane and a wavetrac and I can break loose damn near at will at any speed below 30 mph. Stock RF though.
Cobb e30 tune, VRSF DP's, 7"intercooler, Chargepipe w/ Tial BOV, RB PVC, Wavetrac LSD, KN air filter, More suspension upgrades than I can remember. Alpina tranny flash. I am putting the mods here in case I DO forget. Coming soon to a 135i near you, a one off exhaust and a one off oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #11
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

It is interesting, though, that it is more difficult to break the 128i loose than it was my Datsun B210 back in the day.

But I think what makes it even more difficult is the years of NOT doing - it's like trying to sing wrong notes when you are a singer...very difficult to break habits. I haven't 'chirped wheel' in years...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #12
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

Oh... and I have the RFTs (Pirelli)...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #13
entendu
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Lots

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-tian-X4.8 View Post
tried to break loose the tires from a dead stop with DTC off.
Aren't you supposed to turn DTC on? From the manual:

"Activating DTC:
Press the button; the indicator lamps for DTC in the instrument cluster come on."
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #14
Adam135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Dynamic Traction Control (DTC).
Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) allows more wheel slip and thus a more dynamic driving style with higher wheel traction and DSC controlling stability. A small amount of spin on the drive wheels improves traction when pulling off from a standstill in snow or on loose terrain.

Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) is a sub-function of the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) system that can be turned on and off. DTC has two major roles: to regulate traction and to enable sports-style driving while providing active stability control.
When the drive wheels start losing traction the DSC automatically begins stabilisation measures. The Dynamic Stability Control system curbs the engine output and stops slip on the wheels. In exceptional situations, however, a small amount of wheel slip can be an advantage.

When driving in deep snow, slush or on loose terrain a small amount of wheel spin improves traction. For these occasions, as well as those when the drivers want a sportier driving style, the DTC can be activated by pressing a button and this allows more slip and reduces the DSC’s curbing of the engine. The result: better traction and more thrust.

The DTC also makes driving on snow and ice-free roads more dynamic. When activated, the DTC allows sporty drivers more room to manoeuvre around curves than the Dynamic Stability Control and even permits controlled drifts. The driver retains complete control over the vehicle in every situation and the Dynamic Stability Control’s stabilising measures remain active even when the DTC is activated.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #15
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 SSII M5 CP

I'm completely stock but 6MT.. Went to my first autocross event last weekend with this car and with the RFTs I couldn't stop breaking the tired loose. It was super annoying. After that day.. I am no longer amused with breaking the rear end loose haha. I hate this effing RFTs.
Appreciate 0