BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #23
stormzusmc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 15 Jag XFRS, 16 GLA45

I'm sure they try to keep most of the variables as close and optimal as possible when testing, but they are also known for underrating their vehicles.

As a performance car owner, I would worry more about your driving skill first, your modifications second, and then all other things if you're worried about speed. Let your ability to drive, and your cars power do the talking.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #24
chinam
Rep
Drives: black 1M

tks again storm, my driving skill sucks, its been 7 long yrs since i driven stick shift and the only mods i have are all cosmatic but its just good to know what my dream car is really capible of and when friends ask about the 0 to 100 date i can share more accurate info
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #25
stormzusmc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 15 Jag XFRS, 16 GLA45

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinam View Post
tks again storm, my driving skill sucks, its been 7 long yrs since i driven stick shift and the only mods i have are all cosmatic but its just good to know what my dream car is really capible of and when friends ask about the 0 to 100 date i can share more accurate info
If you're worried about the 0-100km #s from the factory, just tell them "in stock form from bmw it does 4.8ish". If you tune it, and add a few mods, get sticky tires, you can be around 3-4 seconds 0-100 no problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #26
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

chinam, I understand that you did not have the time to check various reviews and tests of the 1M by motoring journals or the information shared by owners here and in other Forums. For test data go to Sticky section where we stored whatever came to our attention since mid 2011, in a self explanatory titled thread.

Let me make you a very brief summary of what he have seen and if there is anyone who has additional or contradicting information, they are welcome to pop in and say it as usual.

Factory says 1M accelarates from 0 to 100 km/h at 4.9 seconds; this figure is quoted as 4.7 seconds to 60 whereever it is applicable, like US.

The "worst" or slowest "independent" test data I came through since 2.5 years was 4.8 seconds to 100 km/h by a French magazine, probably Moniteur Auto. As you see even that was faster than the factory claim. The quickest to 100 km/h was by Auto Zeitung of Germany which claimed 4.5 seconds to 100 km/h. These were extreme results and all the others (there were a lot really) were either 4.6 or 4.7 seconds to 100 km/h, or typically 4.4 to 4.5 seconds to 60 mph if you prefer to read it that way.

The fastest an owner recorded with a bone stock 1M, including tires, was 4.4 seconds to 100 km/h or around 4.2 seconds to 60 mph.

I myself regard the 1M as a 4.5 seconds to 100 km/h car after a good break-in and in good conditions. I have no doubt that with a bit of luck, talent and testing a 1M just with some better (than PS2) tires (like PSS or RE-11) and nothing else can aim low 4 seconds.

In short, there has never been a magazine/tester or a seriously prepared owner who managed to record 4.9 seconds as best 1M can do; that honor still belongs to BMW marketing division.

As stormzusmc posted above any N54 1 series, if tuned aggressively, can fall under 4 seconds and this applies to 1M equally but I believe this is not what you were asking.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 07-26-2013 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #27
chinam
Rep
Drives: black 1M

hi Ozinaldo, really appreciated the education on this topic. knowing this data will make me even more proud to be an 1m owner. the fastest car i ever drove was a sti wagon many yrs ago which was 5.8sec, is not like owners like myself can ever achieve these kind of take offs but its just really good to understand what your car can offer in the right hands (and legs). thanks again n happy weekend
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 03:03 AM   #28
Piets94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 94 M3, AW 1M, M2 CS

Having seen a black A45 today in person, I think it looks really tacky (ugly). Whilst the drivetrain specs are impressive, there is no restraint in making the A look very boy-racer with all the add-ons. The CLA looks better, but still doesn't do anything for me.

The 1m, whilst looking very muscular with the big wheels and pumped guards, still shows a degree of restraint. Visually, at least in my opinion, I love the 1m over an A45 every day of the week.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 03:57 AM   #29
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piets94 View Post
Having seen a black A45 today in person, I think it looks really tacky (ugly). Whilst the drivetrain specs are impressive, there is no restraint in making the A look very boy-racer with all the add-ons. The CLA looks better, but still doesn't do anything for me.

The 1m, whilst looking very muscular with the big wheels and pumped guards, still shows a degree of restraint. Visually, at least in my opinion, I love the 1m over an A45 every day of the week.
Agreed. I don't think the A45 is pretty at all(compared to the other AMG lineup which are great looking cars) . But same goes for the M135i imo.

German carmag tested A45 AMG vs M135iA X drive.

Hockenheim Short.
A45 AMG 1:15.1
M135iX 1:15.2

1M 1:14.2

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 04:30 AM   #30
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

What I love about the 0-100s is that the autos and DCs have become so good, that typically they take 3 tenths or so from the sprint time for the one or two shifts required to get to 100.

What this means is that for true, real world grunt (ie. in gear roll on accelleration), like that which you would require for overtaking or getting out of trouble, the 1M has mountains of it indicated by a quick 0 - 100 run through a manual box. Take the three tenths out of that which is what AMG has with it's flappy paddles, and the 1M is a punchy 4.2 sec car..!!!!

Love the little Angry man.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 05:29 AM   #31
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee
My thoughts harken to the brilliant 1M vs M2 comparison thread.
For me, it's all about emotional connection to the car and the road. The 1M captures this in a magical and unique way that I haven't felt since my beloved GTV6.

The development of the 1M was something I compare to political revolutions--all of which, through human history, have been instigated by a desperate, passionate, poorly funded minority fighting against the status quo. For better or worse THAT'S where history is made.

Qui audet adipiscitur.

We live in a watered-down, cowardly, committee-driven world that mitigates risk for a few dullards, by keeping the majority in an AWD, paddle-shifting, diaper-wearing bubble where oversteer and drifts are frowned upon by electronic nannies. A45? RS3? TTRS? STi? GTR? *eyeroll*

Thank you no. Give me a tall ship and a star to steer her by--or a manual tranny and a buttload of torque.

While I'm sure that there will be cars like the A45, built by the performance divisions of most marques that will outdo the 1M on paper, the simple fact remains that they will never outdo it in the one area where it truly counts: the happiness that it brings to the driver. God gave me a left leg and a right arm for a reason. If I ain't mashing down on a clutch and moving a shifter I ain't a happy person. And I ain't drinking no Kool-Aid to convince me otherwise.

While I admire the intellectual curiosity of my fellow petrol-heads when it comes to comparos, my own humble observation is that after I've read any comparison to the 1M by anyone, I honestly shrug my shoulders and smile.

I know what I got and I'm happy. And you know what? Sometimes the lil bulldog surprises you when it meets up with one of these soulless AWD abominations, as this repost shows. Just scroll to 1:37 and look at his smile.

Just my 2cents. It could be the Vicodin and prednisone talking. Gotta love a back injury.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...49641647,d.cGE
haha. I love this post.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #32
timbo_3101
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but an A45 recorded an unexpectedly impressive lap time at Winton Raceway in Australia. This slow-technical circuit suggests the A45 can hold its own not only in a straight line, but also on tight circuits. The lap time was marginally quicker than two 1M vehicles, one driven by a 15-year veteran racer, and the other a track-prepped car.

As much as we cherish our individual vehicles, I see no reason to be complacent in competition ...
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #33
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo_3101 View Post
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but an A45 recorded an unexpectedly impressive lap time at Winton Raceway in Australia. This slow-technical circuit suggests the A45 can hold its own not only in a straight line, but also on tight circuits. The lap time was marginally quicker than two 1M vehicles, one driven by a 15-year veteran racer, and the other a track-prepped car.

As much as we cherish our individual vehicles, I see no reason to be complacent in competition ...
I agree, it's a great package an A45 AMG, no doubt.

But still 1 second slower than our good old grandpa 1M on a small and also tight track like Hockenheim Short. Or doesn't that count either?

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #34
Piets94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 94 M3, AW 1M, M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo_3101 View Post

What was the Winton lap time out of curiosity?
Appreciate 0