BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
///Chase
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 16' m4

Potential 08/09 135i owner! need help :D

Hey guys

First post here so go easy haha.

Im about to sell my 2011 Golf GTi and looking to get a 135i, second hand of course, because i cant justify dropping the full asking price of a new one!

A few quick questions. Im going to get the Auto/Sports Auto option and want to know am i at a huge disadvantage buying the older one with the single clutch 6 speed auto?

Next is Do they all come standard with BlueTooth and HID headlights? having a hard time with that one.

And Are there any other HUGE bad points to buying the 08/09 model.

From some research i see there arent that many differences.

THanks a bunch in advance!

Chase
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
///Chase
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Oh another quick one. Do the 135i Autos from 08/9 have a manual gear box? like not just a normal auto box. Im so confused by all the different gear options.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

The older A/T 135i models have a 6 speed Steptronic which is a "regular" torque converter transmission. With the Sport Package, it has paddle shifters on the steering wheel. And (as you know), the newer 135i has the dual clutch DCT as it's A/T option. A 6 speed manual is the basic tranny for all years.

BMW's older single clutch auto was the SMG (for Sequential Manual Gearbox) which was never available on the US 1 series.

Hope that helps a bit.

Also, if you are planning to buy a car with Navigation, the '09 was greatly improved over the '08.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaseyo View Post
Hey guys

First post here so go easy haha.

Im about to sell my 2011 Golf GTi and looking to get a 135i, second hand of course, because i cant justify dropping the full asking price of a new one!

A few quick questions. Im going to get the Auto/Sports Auto option and want to know am i at a huge disadvantage buying the older one with the single clutch 6 speed auto?

Next is Do they all come standard with BlueTooth and HID headlights? having a hard time with that one.

And Are there any other HUGE bad points to buying the 08/09 model.

From some research i see there arent that many differences.

THanks a bunch in advance!

Chase
They all come with bluetooth and HID headlights

Quote:
Oh another quick one. Do the 135i Autos from 08/9 have a manual gear box? like not just a normal auto box. Im so confused by all the different gear options.
Might pay to ask in the Aussie forum as the american cars can be slightly different to ours (their base model are a lot more Spartan then ours).
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
///Chase
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thanks for the reply mate, im worried that im stepping back a little bit in terms of technology, am i going to notice a HUGE difference in gear change speed and downshifting from my Dual Clutch Gti? the gtis gear changes are insanely fast.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply mate, im worried that im stepping back a little bit in terms of technology, am i going to notice a HUGE difference in gear change speed and downshifting from my Dual Clutch Gti? the gtis gear changes are insanely fast.
Our steptronics are pretty damn fast too - obviously not as fast as the DCT.

I would offer you to try my car if you were local

It depends on what you want to do with the car if you really want to mod your car go for the N54 with the old steptronic but if not the DCT would be a safer bet.

Also at least our gearbox doesn't come with all the headache that the GTI comes with
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
///Chase
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Haha! fair enough, from what ive seen the shifts are pretty quick in the "shift yourself" mode on the Steptronic. I mean i probably shift my Golf into the "manual auto" mode at the odd set of traffic lights etc. I assume you have the Steptronic one RaihaX and you love it?

I just cant justify the 70K+ price tag for the DCT when i can get basically the same car for 50 if you know what i mean.

I assume its easy enough to spin the wheels in the steptronic? haha.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Haha! fair enough, from what ive seen the shifts are pretty quick in the "shift yourself" mode on the Steptronic. I mean i probably shift my Golf into the "manual auto" mode at the odd set of traffic lights etc. I assume you have the Steptronic one RaihaX and you love it?

I just cant justify the 70K+ price tag for the DCT when i can get basically the same car for 50 if you know what i mean.

I assume its easy enough to spin the wheels in the steptronic? haha.
I do have the steptronic and 99% of the time I am on Manual mode anyway

And it will be easier to mod and you will get more power with the 50k car too !

Easy to spin the wheels on any gearbox with this car if you wanted too
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
///Chase
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Most important thing of all you love it? lol. dumb question... but i assume you arent rushing out for the DCT?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #10
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Most important thing of all you love it? lol. dumb question... but i assume you arent rushing out for the DCT?
Yes I do love it - I have never actually driven the DCT on the 135i, I have on the M3 and they are nice and fast!

But when I was getting the car I wanted a N54 so the DCT gearbox was out of the question for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #11
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

I used to have a very nifty graphic of the steptronic shift times in comparison to the older BMW automatic transmission and other gearboxes as well. It was from a BMW press release, and it also stated that humans can't perceive shift times of under 200 milliseconds or so, and all upshifts by the steptronic are at or under 200 ms. Downshifts are a little slower. The BMW DCT supposedly shifts in around 70 ms, which is definitely quicker, but not even perceptibly quicker. Some Ferrari DCTs shift in 20 ms, while the fastest manual shift time performed by a human has been in the neigborhood of a little over 200 ms. So yes, the steptronic is plenty quick. You just might have to reset the adaptations every once in a while.

And yes, it's pretty easy to spin the wheels with any transmission you choose, haha.

For the record I have a 2008 with steptronic. I'm always in manual mode as well. I don't think the car EVER sees drive mode unless a valet takes it or I'm pulling it out of the garage and into the driveway for a cleaning, or something similar. The paddles and the slap-shifting is very fun. My left foot sometimes gets bored, but my hands never do.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #12
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

being a manual driver for the past 20 years or so the 09 135i N54 was my first car with paddles...at first i was questioning my decision to try the paddles but now that i had the car for over 2 years i have really appreciated the versatility of the Step. Shifts are quick enough for me and when going heavy on the throttle the trans gives a very pleasant vocal trans blurp when shifting..it's very cool actually. I have driven cars with DCT as well as cars that downshift on the left and up shift on the right like the DCT model..Most folks prefer this pattern but i do not and like the current system as is...for a bizarre reason.(which is not safe and i do not endorse but..) For normal driving...I drive 50% of the time with a cup of coffee and i can drink it in one hand as well as shift with one hand..it works out for me very well...otherwise i would have to have both hands on the wheel...and in slow driving which i do 95% of the time i prefer this setup. The Step has been shown to handle quite a bit of RWD HP without issues ...the DCT i believe will as well but i am told a wee bit less...Either trans you will enjoy and as all have mentioned it's no problem spinning the wheels...and one great thing about the Step is if you do not shift fast enough it will shift at redline...I no going WOT with this car with a tune is crazy fast...for me it is anyway. Enjoy..If you can afford it get the 09.
      03-23-2012, 03:02 AM   #13
///Chase
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Yeah, getting the 09 should be no problem! maybe even an My10.

So driving in Manual is good i see which is awesome, but is it smooth in just normal auto aswell?

What about he Bluetooth and xenons..

Thanks for all the help fellas
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 05:35 AM   #14
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Welcome mate. I'll be honest, the DCT is quick, really quick. Once you experience it you'll never want anything else. Having said that, the 08-09 steptronics are no slouch either. Also, the DCT only comes with the single turbo N55 (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) and the step come in twin turbo N54. Twin turbo has more modding potential so you can make up lost ground in between gear shifts with more power
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 04:52 AM   #15
///Chase
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Welcome mate. I'll be honest, the DCT is quick, really quick. Once you experience it you'll never want anything else. Having said that, the 08-09 steptronics are no slouch either. Also, the DCT only comes with the single turbo N55 (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) and the step come in twin turbo N54. Twin turbo has more modding potential so you can make up lost ground in between gear shifts with more power
good point! i like twin turbos I will probably look into getting the 09. Does anyone know if Bixenon (Blue/white bulb) and Blue Tooth / ipod is standard?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 05:34 AM   #16
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

It is as I have said earlier in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 05:38 AM   #17
///Chase
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
It is as I have said earlier in this thread.
Oh, shit sorry mate

Thats awesome. Now i just have to find one and sell my Gti!

is the idrive stuff worth having? and whats the stock sound system like?

Anyone in brisbane australia willing to let me come check out their 135? haha
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 05:54 AM   #18
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

If you want iDrive only get it on any 09+ model. The 08 (and before) iDrive is pure ratshit - Do not get it.

If you want to check out some nice 135i's I suggest you head out to QR on Thursday anytime from 12pm. A mix of the nicest E82's you'll see in QLD.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 06:45 AM   #19
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
If you want iDrive only get it on any 09+ model. The 08 (and before) iDrive is pure ratshit - Do not get it.

If you want to check out some nice 135i's I suggest you head out to QR on Thursday anytime from 12pm. A mix of the nicest E82's you'll see in QLD.
*hint* *hint* Look at his car
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 06:58 AM   #20
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
*hint* *hint* Look at his car
Lol Rey, I do have something new to show off on the day but Adrian's and Karl's car are on another level. Especially Adrian's... it's just a badass track car.

Here's my post from the other thread...

Quote:
Adrian's has the best by a long shot.

All the usual mods FBO +
AP Racing BBK
Coilovers (AST I think)
RB Turbos
Oil Cooler
Widebody with 265's on all 4 corners

Basically the best track setup money can buy, there is nothing left to do.

Karl has the 1M with the full M suspension. I'll be faster in a straight line but he should make up a lot of ground in the corners, better entry and exit speed.

Plus I've been in the car with Adrian and Karl and they know how to drive..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #21
///Chase
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Where abouts in brissy are you mr BMW86, dont suppose youd love to show me your ride? haha. I cant make QR on thursdays otherwise i would come for sure, my mate takes his GTR34 there every week.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #22
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

I think you absolutely need to test drive one to make up your mind. I had a R32 with DSG and test drove a 135i and a 128i with steptronic and hated them. It is a good automatic gearbox but it kills a good part of the fun. I don't want to relaunch the eternal debate manual vs auto but if an auto was mandatory I would go for the DCT, especially if you have been spoiled with a DSG before. I recently had a 335i with a step as a loaner, loved the engine but the car was numbed because of the step, could not wait to have my 128i manual back (or my old R32 for that matter).