BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #1
Fifty3bags
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Passenger headlight not working

I searched and tried to find some information on this subject, and what I've found is that this is common with aftermarket angel eyes. I bought the car used, so I don't know if the angel eyes are aftermarket or not. But the right side headlight won't come on and I get a warning for the adaptive headlight and low beam lights.

This would be covered under the basic 4yr/50,000 mile warranty right?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
The angel eyes are illuminated by a separate bulb, which from the factory is a halogen unit. If your xenon headlight itself isn't coming on, that doesn't really have anything to do with the angel eyes. Stock angel eyes have a yellowish color to them; aftermarkets will be bright white or possibly with a slight blue tint and will either be brighter halogens or LED units. LEDs are best, but the only way you can tell is to look down into the headlight where the two plastic rings (the angel eyes themselves) come together at the top center and you should be able to see whether it has a bulb or an LED unit.

The angel eye bulbs are tricky to remove and replace, and are located under the removable cover at the top of the headlight assembly on either side of the car. You have to get your fingers on the bulb holder, rotate it about a quarter turn, and then gently move it straight back until the unit is clear of the headlight housing.

Aftermarket bulbs usually last about a year to 18 months; LEDs rarely fail, but they can occasionally do so. Stock bulbs will last longer because they burn at a lower number on the Kelvin scale (around 4000K), whereas the super-bright bulbs burn at around 8500K.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0