BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
Aries932
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 135i DCT

Confimed 2nd Launch Control for DCT

Yea so I tested this out a 3 more times and it absolutely is a launch control. The car seems to drop the clutch at like 6k RPMs. I am heading out at like 7ish tonight so I will try to get a video to show you exactly what is going on.

The car will be completely stationary...i will punch the gas all the way to the kickdown...the car then automatically revs to 6k rpms and drops the clutch causing you to burn quite a bit of rubber if you do not let off the throttle.

I figure this will be quite useful to people who are wanting to drag race their cars. I had the car with DTC all the way off (hold the button for 3-5 seconds), sports mode, and in manual mode with 1st gear activated. At that point all you have to do from a complete stop is take your foot off the brake and mash the pedal all the way to the floor.

Anyways like I said I will get a video of this up and running in about 3 hrs when I go out next.
      04-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
oman135
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Yap i tried this but the tires spins a LOT ! Its fun though
      04-13-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
I think a clutch job is about $2,500 and up.

For the last 6MT guy it was around a $3,900 cod repair.

Still... this can not be good for the clutch in the DCT tranny.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
Aries932
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 135i DCT

Alright so I tried to get a video and each time I was unable to hold the camera steady enough...So this is what I think happens looking back on what happened today.

If you smash your foot on the gas it the revs build up too fast for the car to go into first gear. I imagine the car wants to go into first gear smoothly and instead you have already reved the car to whatever RPM's and it lets the clutch out at this point..

I will say though I would imagine since the car runs 1st gear pretty smoothly that it is most likely smoothly and slowly letting out the clutch at this point. So you are probably wearing your clutch down quite a bit more than just normal launch control.

So I would advise against this any more than every now and then...or if you really think you have a chance at a really really great quarter mile time.